View Poll Results: Should stim cell research be banned?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    3 7.14%
  • no

    36 85.71%
  • other

    3 7.14%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Should stem cell research be banned?

  1. #11
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    There has been much debate on whether or not stem cell research should be made permanently illegal. In other words, stem cell research would never exist in America. I believe it shouldn't be, because it opens the door for research, including research towards finding a cure for several diseases. In fact, I read an article the other day in which a man was cured of some disease thanks to stem cell research, I don't have a link to the article though. What are your thoughts on stem cell research?
    Each year we legally throw away 1.3 million embryos at abortion clinics and hospitals throughout the United States.

    Why not embryonic stem cell research?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #12
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    I voted no
    no logical reason to ban it that Ive read or heard
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Embryonic stem cell research should be banned. Adult stem cell research should continue on. Being a student of molecular biology I believe that adult stem cell research is more promising and more affective when it comes to treating patients. There would be no organ rejection and no immoral aspects to the therapy.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I thought the debate was really about federal funding..
    I am against federal funding of it, just as I am against federal funding for abortions.

    I see nothing wrong with using left over embryo's from fertility clinics (with parents permission) but I don't think we should fund something that creates human life just to destroy it.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #15
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    There has been much debate on whether or not stem cell research should be made permanently illegal. In other words, stem cell research would never exist in America. I believe it shouldn't be, because it opens the door for research, including research towards finding a cure for several diseases. In fact, I read an article the other day in which a man was cured of some disease thanks to stem cell research, I don't have a link to the article though. What are your thoughts on stem cell research?
    yes, stim cell research should be banned, but i support stem cell research.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #16
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,611

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let's clear something up a bit. It was all about federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, not just any old stem cell research. The only contention was over embryonic stem cells. All other research using federal funds was supported and never in contention.
    And it needs to be stressed...universities, states, private institutions have NEVER been banned from conducting and funding embryonic stem cell research.

    What SHOULD be made criminal is the false hope and promises that have been issued. People actually believe that with stem cell research, Superman could have flown again. We dont KNOW what we may yet know. But until we know (and the research SHOULD continue, but with private funding...believe me...if it will be successful and profitable, the drug companies will be involved), people ought to at least be HONEST about what all it has 'cured' or 'will' cure.

  7. #17
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And it needs to be stressed...universities, states, private institutions have NEVER been banned from conducting and funding embryonic stem cell research.

    What SHOULD be made criminal is the false hope and promises that have been issued. People actually believe that with stem cell research, Superman could have flown again. We dont KNOW what we may yet know. But until we know (and the research SHOULD continue, but with private funding...believe me...if it will be successful and profitable, the drug companies will be involved), people ought to at least be HONEST about what all it has 'cured' or 'will' cure.
    Personally, I'm waiting for the genetic research that figures out how to slow aging down.

    I suppose stem cells MIGHT play a role in that.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    I don't understand how anyone could possibly be against stem-cell development -- there is no risk, no harm, and great benefit.

  9. #19
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    I don't understand how anyone could possibly be against stem-cell development -- there is no risk, no harm, and great benefit.
    I agree, dont know about no risk or no harm but im all for it and its "potential" is a GREAT thing
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #20
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,611

    Re: Should stem cell research be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Marteau View Post
    I don't understand how anyone could possibly be against stem-cell development -- there is no risk, no harm, and great benefit.
    As long as YOU or private researchers are paying for it I dont see anyone against it. As to the benefit...well...we'll see...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •