View Poll Results: Which of these statements do you agree with most?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uniforms should be federally mandated in all public schools.

    27 32.93%
  • No public school students should have to wear uniforms.

    23 28.05%
  • Uniforms should only be used in public schools with lots of discipline problems.

    6 7.32%
  • Somethin' else.

    26 31.71%
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 352

Thread: Uniforms in public schools...

  1. #41
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,047

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    They're kids. Parenthood is fascism.
    You are so sharp... you beat me again. I was JUST GONNA SAY THIS!

    His kind of argument is like that other guy stating the school uniforms lead to no freedoms in society... get real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,047

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I think school uniforms are just fine. You are there to learn, not for a fashion show or prove who is the coolest. Uniforms do away with the need for an enforcible dress code etc. It saves a lot of headaches in the long run.

    In the end we don't care what the "kids" want, that's because they are still "kids."
    Every now and then, I toss out the ol' "because I said so" to my kids, because they are kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #43
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are so sharp... you beat me again. I was JUST GONNA SAY THIS!

    His kind of argument is like that other guy stating the school uniforms lead to no freedoms in society... get real.
    I've seen worse from school uniform opponents. One of the sites I went to said that having kids pick out their own clothes in the morning teaches important decision making skills.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  4. #44
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Every now and then, I toss out the ol' "because I said so" to my kids, because they are kids.
    Part of being a good parent is to be a parent. To many try to be a friend or something else and it just does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #45
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Part of being a good parent is to be a parent. To many try to be a friend or something else and it just does not work.
    Couldn't agree more. The time for your kids to like you is when they're out of the house.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  6. #46
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    I've seen worse from school uniform opponents. One of the sites I went to said that having kids pick out their own clothes in the morning teaches important decision making skills.
    Considering the way I see some of these youngsters dressed, I would say they are failing that lesson, lol. That is unless street walking 101 is now a class?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,047

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    I've seen worse from school uniform opponents. One of the sites I went to said that having kids pick out their own clothes in the morning teaches important decision making skills.
    Once every few months I actually laugh out loud... this was one of them. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,047

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Part of being a good parent is to be a parent. To many try to be a friend or something else and it just does not work.
    Yep. I am the parent. I set the rules. I include them as much as possible and I am many times their friend, but I am ALWAYS their parent and they know it. Ever watch Super Nanny? There could be thousands of Super Nannies out there and hardly make a dent in the bad parenting. The show is funny, but a little disturbing. The issue with bad parenting, as I have come to understand it... spanking has essentially been done away with and parents are unsure as to how they should best proceed. They were not taught and do not understand positive parenting techniques, for instance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #49
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Yep. I am the parent. I set the rules. I include them as much as possible and I am many times their friend, but I am ALWAYS their parent and they know it. Ever watch Super Nanny? There could be thousands of Super Nannies out there and hardly make a dent in the bad parenting. The show is funny, but a little disturbing. The issue with bad parenting, as I have come to understand it... spanking has essentially been done away with and parents are unsure as to how they should best proceed. They were not taught and do not understand positive parenting techniques, for instance.
    We spanked, lol. Usually only when it got disrespectful though, so it was pretty limited. I think part of the problem then was it was used for everything all the time and that is abusive.

    Today parents, teachers no one has any recourse to discipline a child. Even in sports etc they now teach everyone is a winner! So were is the push for discipline or excellence in anything? I'll tell you... it is not around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #50
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Public schools should require uniforms.

    School officials and students have been playing games about student dress for years. Mini skirts were the issue back in the '60s, with girls wearing them too short, teachers measuring, girls hiking them up when teachers weren't looking, and so on. Now, it's gang attire, hoodies used to hide faces and earphones, pants in danger of falling off, and on and on.

    Kids will do better if they look better. Attitudes improve with appearance. Teachers and administrators have better things to do than play dress code games. Parents shouldn't feel they have to buy the right brands for their kids to be popular. Kids should be required to wear the uniform of their school, or find another school.
    The way I see it the only real requirement should be if someone can see your undergarments without having to try. Honestly, are you going to ban two-piece swimsuits at the pool? I mean, I can understand leaving out shirts with graphic material and things like that, but making students act like little automatons is not going to be a net benefit to society.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    They're kids. Parenthood is fascism.
    There is no need for parents to be fascists. Child abuse is a result of that desire for control you are expressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I think school uniforms are just fine. You are there to learn, not for a fashion show or prove who is the coolest. Uniforms do away with the need for an enforcible dress code etc. It saves a lot of headaches in the long run.

    In the end we don't care what the "kids" want, that's because they are still "kids."
    What a terrible thing to say. You most certainly should care what kids want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are so sharp... you beat me again. I was JUST GONNA SAY THIS!

    His kind of argument is like that other guy stating the school uniforms lead to no freedoms in society... get real.
    I think the nature of society can be understood from how it treats its children.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Every now and then, I toss out the ol' "because I said so" to my kids, because they are kids.
    If you cannot even come up with a valid reason then it indicates you have no business pushing your ideal on anyone, let a lone a child.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •