View Poll Results: Which of these statements do you agree with most?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uniforms should be federally mandated in all public schools.

    27 32.93%
  • No public school students should have to wear uniforms.

    23 28.05%
  • Uniforms should only be used in public schools with lots of discipline problems.

    6 7.32%
  • Somethin' else.

    26 31.71%
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 352

Thread: Uniforms in public schools...

  1. #341
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,017

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    The reason people say "I can imagine" is because most likely they would understand and simply do not wish to offend someone by saying they would know how that person feels. Such comments constitute the little white lies we call "respect" in society.
    So when a person tells you that their mother was raped and tortured and murdered and this did not happen to your mother, you would say, "I can imagine" to be polite but in reality you, "would know how that person feels"? ARe you being serious for even one second here? That is so ridiculous that I think that I am being played here, after all of this I was taking you seriously... you would "know" how they felt never having experienced nor felt the same thing? We can all read a book on it and "know" the symptoms and "know" how people have expressed how they felt, but not having felt it yourself, you could not actually "know" how it feels.

    To claim that you would is so retarded that I can barely think of responding to you again after this if you say that you are serious...

    You were not joking and were you not just arguing that you were simply confused or that I had said something to imply that? Why are you changing your justifications?
    I made a joke that we were dealing with three angry teenagers... I apologize if you thought I was being serious, but I wasn't. It was sarcasm.

    I am aware of the legal term and its meaning. In fact, I got the impression that is the context you were using it in and thought perhaps you were a lawyer but pulled back from that supposition since it did not fit with what I have read and your general behavior. Certainly it is consistent with someone who represented himself once pro se and now fancies himself a lawyer. That would also be consistent with someone of your attitude.
    If you aren't a lawyer, then you are just talking out of your ass and if you are I would expect that I would win against you as well. My wifes lawyer acted like you did, telling me what things mean or don't and guess what, the Judge agreed with me... I have represented myself twice and won both, once against the IRS and once in Family Court against my wife's lawyer.

    Controversial; subject to argument.

    Pleading in which a point relied upon is not set out, but merely implied, is often labeled argumentative. Pleading that contains arguments that should be saved for trial, in addition to allegations establishing a Cause of Action or defense, is also called argumentative.


    argumentative legal definition of argumentative. argumentative synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

    No matter how you were using it my statement is still accurate.
    Since all you have done is merely imply something, nope, it isn't accurate yet.

    Dude, you are the one who insists on responding to comments that are not directed at you. The fact you lose sight of that after some back and forth is no fault of mine.
    This line of debate is so old and pointless, lets just move on. Hell, I'll concede you are correct too...

    So what you are actually saying is not that kids desire to be controlled because you do not actually have any sort of proof of any such desire conscious or unconscious. Rather, you say that children are simply healthier in such a context and therefore this must be something they desire.
    This point is getting skewed... chiildren are healthier when they are parented or cared for, that is how they survive at a young age. Parents use a variety of discipline techniques that range from modelling, re-directing and punitive, among others. I can't find studies that don't cost money yet, but from personal experience, asking and observing other parents, being in the education system, talking to PhD's in psychology and others, we all conclude that children that are cared for better, have clear and defined boundaries and expectations, are healthier mentally and emotionally. Children that lack this guidance, when provided with it, flourish. There is a profound change. Children, when asked about this, have expressed that they like and understand the clear boundaries and expectations, that it makes it easier to live. These boundaries and expectations are "Control". The parent controls the child within these rules. This is the control that I, and the other parents on this thread have been discussing.

    Accept this or don't. It seems as if the others have given up on you, and I am about to as well...

    I have actually provided a source earlier regarding uniforms.
    Not to me, as far as I can tell...
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; 01-02-11 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #342
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    The way half of them act these days, they should be glad we let them out of the house at all, whether in uniforms or not.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #343
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So when a person tells you that their mother was raped and tortured and murdered and this did not happen to your mother, you would say, "I can imagine" to be polite but in reality you, "would know how that person feels"? ARe you being serious for even one second here?
    Why do you find that so unthinkable? Is it because you think something that horrible must be beyond a person's ability to understand without experiencing it? The emotions are not exactly difficult to replicate. Do you know about empathy?

    I made a joke that we were dealing with three angry teenagers... I apologize if you thought I was being serious, but I wasn't. It was sarcasm.
    You were not joking about assuming I was a teenager. In fact, you clearly were arguing that I was.

    If you aren't a lawyer, then you are just talking out of your ass and if you are I would expect that I would win against you as well. My wifes lawyer acted like you did, telling me what things mean or don't and guess what, the Judge agreed with me... I have represented myself twice and won both, once against the IRS and once in Family Court against my wife's lawyer.

    Controversial; subject to argument.

    Pleading in which a point relied upon is not set out, but merely implied, is often labeled argumentative. Pleading that contains arguments that should be saved for trial, in addition to allegations establishing a Cause of Action or defense, is also called argumentative.


    argumentative legal definition of argumentative. argumentative synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
    If you had bolded the first paragraph I might think you had some idea what you were doing, but the fact you highlighted something that would not apply in the situation you used it tells me otherwise.

    This point is getting skewed... chiildren are healthier when they are parented or cared for, that is how they survive at a young age. Parents use a variety of discipline techniques that range from modelling, re-directing and punitive, among others. I can't find studies that don't cost money yet, but from personal experience, asking and observing other parents, being in the education system, talking to PhD's in psychology and others, we all conclude that children that are cared for better, have clear and defined boundaries and expectations, are healthier mentally and emotionally. Children that lack this guidance, when provided with it, flourish. There is a profound change. Children, when asked about this, have expressed that they like and understand the clear boundaries and expectations, that it makes it easier to live. These boundaries and expectations are "Control". The parent controls the child within these rules. This is the control that I, and the other parents on this thread have been discussing.
    You are grouping a number of things together, calling them "control", claiming children do better because of this, and that it is what all of you were arguing from the beginning. If this were a discussion about simply parenting it would be one thing, but you have all insisted on forcing kids to wear uniforms in public schools as a means of influencing the entire youth. So the notion that this was all you were arguing is garbage right there.

    Not to me, as far as I can tell...
    Sorry, I didn't personally contact you when I posted the link.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  4. #344
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The way half of them act these days, they should be glad we let them out of the house at all, whether in uniforms or not.
    Who wants them in the house, acting like that?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #345
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm all for setting boundaries. This isn't about a boundaries. This is about about saying exactly what the child can wear. Its one thing to go out shopping with your kids and letting them look, and just say no to certain things. Its another story when you show them what they WILL wear and they have no say.
    That is a boundary. It's just placed differently than you'd like it to be.

  6. #346
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    That is a boundary.
    Of course

    It's just placed differently than you'd like it to be.
    My boundary allows them the freedom to decide on what to wear when I decide to enact my boundary. Yours on the other hand make the choice for them to empower your boundary when its enacted later.

    Mine has a opening for freedom, yours does not. Mine can still be understood as a guide, yours can only be understood as total control.

    @ Bod: Telling them they have to wear a raincoat is the object class, its not the object. If I tell you to wear a raincoat that you picked out you feel far more comfortable with it than if I picked it out and you don't much care for it. The ability to get them to wear the coat if they like it is far easier.

  7. #347
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,017

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    Why do you find that so unthinkable? Is it because you think something that horrible must be beyond a person's ability to understand without experiencing it? The emotions are not exactly difficult to replicate. Do you know about empathy?
    You are a special person... empathy? I will have to look that one up. Thank you for the guidance. In you light I will thrive...

    You were not joking about assuming I was a teenager. In fact, you clearly were arguing that I was.
    Thank you for telling me what my intent was, you have keen powers of insight and are a truly remarkable individual...

    If you had bolded the first paragraph I might think you had some idea what you were doing, but the fact you highlighted something that would not apply in the situation you used it tells me otherwise.
    It could have nothing to do with you just missing my point, as innocent as that can be? Naw... hell naw! I can see that you are clearly a person to be reckoned with... Again, it worked in court and helped defeat my opponent's main point in a case and the judge ruled in my favor regarding the objection, but... you being you and all, it is obvious now how silly I have been. I am sorry...

    You are grouping a number of things together, calling them "control", claiming children do better because of this, and that it is what all of you were arguing from the beginning. If this were a discussion about simply parenting it would be one thing, but you have all insisted on forcing kids to wear uniforms in public schools as a means of influencing the entire youth. So the notion that this was all you were arguing is garbage right there.
    It is all control really... but maybe not. You call it garbage and you are really such a bright guy, I will have to reflect a bit in order to take in the magnitude of your hulking nature...

    Sorry, I didn't personally contact you when I posted the link.
    No need. My bad. When debating a person and they claim to have posted info, it is obviously up to me to search the entire thread in order to find it. Again, my bad.

    Cant say it's been either fun nor time well spent... but things regarding aspects of the human nature were remembered by interacting with you, and that sort of education is always a good thing, so thank you.
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; 01-04-11 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #348
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are a special person... empathy? I will have to look that one up. Thank you for the guidance. In you light I will thrive...
    There is nothing special about it. I just acknowledge what most people will not.

    Thank you for telling me what my intent was, you have keen powers of insight and are a truly remarkable individual...
    It has nothing to do with insight, it was several posts back and forth convincing you I had never said I was a teenager before you finally fell back on the "it was a joke" excuse. Seeing that for what it is requires no more insight then is necessary to read words.

    It could have nothing to do with you just missing my point, as innocent as that can be? Naw... hell naw! I can see that you are clearly a person to be reckoned with... Again, it worked in court and helped defeat my opponent's main point in a case and the judge ruled in my favor regarding the objection, but... you being you and all, it is obvious now how silly I have been. I am sorry...
    Dude, I don't care about some random unspecified court case you were involved with. The fact is you are not using that word for its proper purpose.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  9. #349
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,017

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    There is nothing special about it. I just acknowledge what most people will not.
    No really... you are special. Really...

    It has nothing to do with insight, it was several posts back and forth convincing you I had never said I was a teenager before you finally fell back on the "it was a joke" excuse. Seeing that for what it is requires no more insight then is necessary to read words.
    You got me. I am making an "excuse" to cover up a "joke" that I made. Of course, I thought that one of ther three of you actually were a teenager, based off of a comment and labeled you incorrectly as the one, and that alone is proof that I am making an "excuse". You have an awesome intellect. No really, you are the man. Way to go.

    Dude, I don't care about some random unspecified court case you were involved with. The fact is you are not using that word for its proper purpose.
    Of couse I am not using the term incorrectly, and you can't or won't show how it is incorrect, other than to just say it... but based off of your pure massive magnitude displayed here in this thread, that is good enough for me.

    Two debates you have been handed your ass and two debates that you just continue to act like this... pathetic.

    But hey, you are the man. Believe it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #350
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    We're going to continue to believe that Demon is a teen, or early 20 something at the very most, until he posts a copy of his birth certificate. No long form required, just a certificate of live birth, giving the date.

    He may have been born in Kenya, too, we're not sure.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •