View Poll Results: Which of these statements do you agree with most?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uniforms should be federally mandated in all public schools.

    27 32.93%
  • No public school students should have to wear uniforms.

    23 28.05%
  • Uniforms should only be used in public schools with lots of discipline problems.

    6 7.32%
  • Somethin' else.

    26 31.71%
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 352

Thread: Uniforms in public schools...

  1. #331
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    Why have children in that case? You are never going to have that special closeness that a devoted parent and a grateful adult child share. In order to have that special closeness it is necessary to raise a child as if he or she is what really matters most. It is necessary to subordinate one's own interests to the interests of the child whenever required.
    Special closeness? What is this, a fuzzy special hug moment? They are kids and I am devoted to them as anything. I guess I just understand what is important about raising kids, and it is providing for them. My career gives me that ability. I am sure that they know that they are important to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #332
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 02:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Special closeness? What is this, a fuzzy special hug moment? They are kids and I am devoted to them as anything. I guess I just understand what is important about raising kids, and it is providing for them. My career gives me that ability. I am sure that they know that they are important to me.
    A special closeness requires prioritizing children. What do you do when your children want you to watch them play in a school soccer league game instead of meeting at 5:30 pm with a client?

  3. #333
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    A special closeness requires prioritizing children. What do you do when your children want you to watch them play in a school soccer league game instead of meeting at 5:30 pm with a client?
    Well, they do compete in equastrian events, first of all, and these are generally on Saturday morning. I can make those generally. I sometimes have to go golfing with clients though... and a parent can prioritize their child without having this special closeness. Who are you to lecture me on parenting anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    It might have been Henrin in all the back and forths... and I did check, just checked again, spent ten minutes filtering through threads and couldn't find it.
    Nope. Imagining things are we?


    I think that I got your comment mixed up with Henrins...
    No, you didn't. You made it up and now you're caught in the lie. Go figure.


    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Our younger posters in this thread don't like control, and maybe don't understand that good parents set boundaries for the child's own safety. Our daughter chafed a bit at the limits we set for her, but got over it and set similar limits for her own kids. If our son objected, we never heard it.
    I'm all for setting boundaries. This isn't about a boundaries. This is about about saying exactly what the child can wear. Its one thing to go out shopping with your kids and letting them look, and just say no to certain things. Its another story when you show them what they WILL wear and they have no say.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    At least the angry teenagers have finally understood that they have been bested by their superior elders...
    If you are trying to insult me with this crap just realize you are acting exactly the way I was.

    [Tax breaks are ridiculous... who is going to make up for the loss in welfare programs once this slippery slope goes astray?
    Welfare programs? Not welfare programs! What will you do!
    Last edited by Henrin; 12-31-10 at 07:41 PM.

  5. #335
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Nope. Imagining things are we?
    I imagine that you are...

    No, you didn't. You made it up and now you're caught in the lie. Go figure.
    Why would I make it up? The reason that I used it was because it was a funny way to indicate that you were all a bunch of angry teenagers. Even if I made it up, which I didn't, it was for comedic value and I wouldn't bother saying that it was true. Either way, you are acting like an angry teenager even if you aren't a teenager.

    I'm all for setting boundaries. This isn't about a boundaries. This is about about saying exactly what the child can wear. Its one thing to go out shopping with your kids and letting them look, and just say no to certain things. Its another story when you show them what they WILL wear and they have no say.
    Parents tell their kids exactly what to wear all the time. It is raining outside and you have to wear your rainjacket. It is cold outside, you have to wear shoes. We are going to grandma's for Christmas and you have to weat your nice shirt. Dude, you letting your kids wear their ripped Metallica shirts to a formal function because they want to would only go to show that you are a ****ty parent.

    If you are trying to insult me with this crap just realize you are acting exactly the way I was.
    I'm not trying to insult you with this...

    Welfare programs? Not welfare programs! What will you do!
    This doesn't have anything to do with me...

    You gave up on debating parenting and uniforms 'cause you ain't got **** and you know it. Run along scooter...
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-31-10 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  6. #336
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,605

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    The most important work we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes
    Excellent quote, and so true. Harold B. Lee, wasn't it?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #337
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Sure it is, with all your whining about being labeled as inferior and your bitching about authoritarian complexes and your crying about control issues...
    Dude, your response was not even remotely connected to what we were discussing. Bull****ting and attacking me isn't going to change that.

    When using fallicious during a debate, it generally refers to a logical fallacy. That is fine then, show how my reasoning is faulty, if you don't mind.
    It is not something you are likely to see because it is simply your presumption that I must be a teenager in order to have the opinions I have. Rather, you just jump to an incorrect conclusion based off minimal evidence.

    Even with regards to me, it is argumentative...
    It was with regards to your attitude on this subject and why you keep using the word "argumentative"? This is an argument so it is only natural that it would be argumentative. Do you meant to say "debatable"?

    Right, got it. Each time I nail you you say, "I was not talking to you" or "I was not referring to those comments" or "that is what someone else said"... it is cyclical.
    You cannot have nailed me because those responses are simply the truth. If I say I was not talking to you, then I was not. If I say I was not referring to certain comments then I was not. If I say that is what someone else said than it was. The only pattern here is you being unable to follow this discussion.

    Is the nature of "consciousness" foreign to you? Thoughts, ideas and feelings that you are not conscious of are not known to you, hence pondering about it is irrelevant.
    Except the reason someone is not conscious of a feeling or desire is because said individual does not ever consider it. I am telling you that I would have been conscious of any such desire to be controlled.

    It might have been Henrin in all the back and forths... and I did check, just checked again, spent ten minutes filtering through threads and couldn't find it.
    I doubt it was Henrin. Maybe you are thinking of Solace.

    Just because I have personal experience doesn't mean that I am not better at objectively analysing it.
    Except you experience most likely carries it with some emotional association. I do not expect rape victims to be capable of objectively analyzing the experience. Any experience of emotional significance is likely to weigh on your objectivity.

    I have only said that you are naive... that has nothing to do with being beneath me. Wouldn't you agree?
    You have said more than that.

    No. The point is hardcore Evangelicals tried to control you and you resent it. Their failure is irrelevant.
    Are you trying to imply that such alleged resent is the reason for my opinion? You are wrong if that is what you mean to imply.

    And you have yet to show one tangible bit of proof regarding this matter. Not one. Nothing. Nada. Zip.
    Are you ****ing kidding me!? I already ****ing did, for ****'s sake!

    Another naive comment. Of course everybody has their own mind, but parents actions have an enormous amount of influence on a child, both positive and negative.
    That is true, but there are many other events and people who can have a more powerful effect. Sometimes the negative actions of a person influence an individual for the better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I can't speak for the rest, but in my conclusion was entirely based on the content of your posts. Many people have disagreed with me on these forums without me concluding that they were teens.
    Undoubtedly on different subject matter.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  8. #338
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Excellent quote, and so true. Harold B. Lee, wasn't it?
    yes....
    another one I like, "No success can compensate for failure in the home". David O. McKay....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #339
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    Dude, your response was not even remotely connected to what we were discussing. Bull****ting and attacking me isn't going to change that.
    Nope, you keep on about being referred to as inferior, when all we are doing is telling you that you don't know what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with being inferior, and I am going to stop discussing this matter with you since you either don't understand it or you are being dishonest about it.

    The whole matter is essentially this... we had a baby that had colic, and when we mentioned this to other parents that had babies that had colic, they would say stuff like, "IMG, I know what you mean (or how you feel), our baby did too". We never once got a response from a parent that did not have a baby with colic that included "I understand" or " I know"... it was always something like, "I can only imagine" or "I am sorry to hear that, it must be tough". Why? Because they did not know what it was like. Sure, they read the books and heard our stories, but not having gone through it, they understood that they did not understand what it was truly like. You though, you just think, "I have an imagination, seen some movies, read some books, I know as much about it as Bodi, because I am more objective!" Complete and utter horse ****. Sorry dude... you just make yourself sound so ignorant. Im getting tired of you as well. Talking out of your ass without showing an ounce of compromise stinks of naivety coupled with arrogance. Angry teenager syndrome, really.

    It is not something you are likely to see because it is simply your presumption that I must be a teenager in order to have the opinions I have. Rather, you just jump to an incorrect conclusion based off minimal evidence.
    Dude, you are most likely not a teenager... it was a ****ing joke. Hello? After this idiotic back and forth in which you show very little ability to understand, I would venture to say that I am on a far higher plane or awareness than you, hence my frustration with you. Just gonna be done with you like I was last time, pretty quick...

    It was with regards to your attitude on this subject and why you keep using the word "argumentative"? This is an argument so it is only natural that it would be argumentative. Do you meant to say "debatable"?
    No, I mean argumentative... it is a legal term and has a meaning. Look it up. I know what it means since I have used it when representing myself in a case that I won in court.

    You cannot have nailed me because those responses are simply the truth. If I say I was not talking to you, then I was not. If I say I was not referring to certain comments then I was not. If I say that is what someone else said than it was. The only pattern here is you being unable to follow this discussion.
    If we are talking and you say something, I call you on it, and you respond... "I wasn't talking to you", then you shouldn't have posted it in a post addressed to me in a conversation that you and I are having. If that is me being unable to follow a conversation, I would counter that you don't understand how to have a proper conversation.

    Except the reason someone is not conscious of a feeling or desire is because said individual does not ever consider it. I am telling you that I would have been conscious of any such desire to be controlled.
    Holy moly... this is geting retarded. Children don't want to "be controlled", they want structure and consistency. Their want isn't conscious. They need them. They need routines. Studies show that when children are raised in a caring and structured environment, they are healthier and more well adjusted than those that aren't. A structured environment has rules and consequences. The parent is in charge. Can't you grasp any of this? The children, even aware ones, aren't sitting there saying, "I want to be controlled.". Any parent would say, and many of us have, that you don't know what you are talking about... why? You lack experience, that's why.

    We tell children where they can and can't go. My daughters often come up to me and ask what they are allowed to do or where they are allowed to go, since they know that I am looking out for their safety. They want that. Sorry you refuse to understand this.

    Except you experience most likely carries it with some emotional association. I do not expect rape victims to be capable of objectively analyzing the experience. Any experience of emotional significance is likely to weigh on your objectivity.
    Yes, but the key factor is that I have experience and you have none. So my tainted experience wins, since you don't have any at all.

    You have said more than that.
    No, not really. I have stuck with one line, and that is that you are naive about the subject. I have described it in other ways, but never about being inferior or lesser than me as a person, just ignorant about what parenting truly entails.

    Are you trying to imply that such alleged resent is the reason for my opinion? You are wrong if that is what you mean to imply.
    I am more objective than you, since you have been through it, by your reasoning... hence, your emotional association is likely to weigh on your objectivity and my conclusion is correct. Sorry...

    Are you ****ing kidding me!? I already ****ing did, for ****'s sake!
    Nope. You hve offered unsubstantiated opinions about control and uniforms. You have offered not one shred of evidence about uniforms, which is the topic at hand and the one that I want to get back to in order to sum this ridiculous debate up. You have shown nada about parenting and zip about uniforms for pete's sake...

    That is true, but there are many other events and people who can have a more powerful effect. Sometimes the negative actions of a person influence an individual for the better.
    That is true.... but. That is kinda how you think, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #340
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Nope, you keep on about being referred to as inferior, when all we are doing is telling you that you don't know what you are talking about. It has nothing to do with being inferior, and I am going to stop discussing this matter with you since you either don't understand it or you are being dishonest about it.

    The whole matter is essentially this... we had a baby that had colic, and when we mentioned this to other parents that had babies that had colic, they would say stuff like, "IMG, I know what you mean (or how you feel), our baby did too". We never once got a response from a parent that did not have a baby with colic that included "I understand" or " I know"... it was always something like, "I can only imagine" or "I am sorry to hear that, it must be tough". Why? Because they did not know what it was like. Sure, they read the books and heard our stories, but not having gone through it, they understood that they did not understand what it was truly like. You though, you just think, "I have an imagination, seen some movies, read some books, I know as much about it as Bodi, because I am more objective!" Complete and utter horse ****. Sorry dude... you just make yourself sound so ignorant. Im getting tired of you as well. Talking out of your ass without showing an ounce of compromise stinks of naivety coupled with arrogance. Angry teenager syndrome, really.
    The reason people say "I can imagine" is because most likely they would understand and simply do not wish to offend someone by saying they would know how that person feels. Such comments constitute the little white lies we call "respect" in society.

    Dude, you are most likely not a teenager... it was a ****ing joke.
    You were not joking and were you not just arguing that you were simply confused or that I had said something to imply that? Why are you changing your justifications?

    No, I mean argumentative... it is a legal term and has a meaning. Look it up. I know what it means since I have used it when representing myself in a case that I won in court.
    I am aware of the legal term and its meaning. In fact, I got the impression that is the context you were using it in and thought perhaps you were a lawyer but pulled back from that supposition since it did not fit with what I have read and your general behavior. Certainly it is consistent with someone who represented himself once pro se and now fancies himself a lawyer. That would also be consistent with someone of your attitude.

    No matter how you were using it my statement is still accurate.

    If we are talking and you say something, I call you on it, and you respond... "I wasn't talking to you", then you shouldn't have posted it in a post addressed to me in a conversation that you and I are having. If that is me being unable to follow a conversation, I would counter that you don't understand how to have a proper conversation.
    Dude, you are the one who insists on responding to comments that are not directed at you. The fact you lose sight of that after some back and forth is no fault of mine.

    Holy moly... this is geting retarded. Children don't want to "be controlled", they want structure and consistency. Their want isn't conscious. They need them. They need routines. Studies show that when children are raised in a caring and structured environment, they are healthier and more well adjusted than those that aren't. A structured environment has rules and consequences. The parent is in charge. Can't you grasp any of this? The children, even aware ones, aren't sitting there saying, "I want to be controlled.". Any parent would say, and many of us have, that you don't know what you are talking about... why? You lack experience, that's why.

    We tell children where they can and can't go. My daughters often come up to me and ask what they are allowed to do or where they are allowed to go, since they know that I am looking out for their safety. They want that. Sorry you refuse to understand this.
    So what you are actually saying is not that kids desire to be controlled because you do not actually have any sort of proof of any such desire conscious or unconscious. Rather, you say that children are simply healthier in such a context and therefore this must be something they desire.

    I am more objective than you, since you have been through it, by your reasoning... hence, your emotional association is likely to weigh on your objectivity and my conclusion is correct. Sorry...
    Did I say it was universal? No. I would not state an absolute, however it is a general rule. There are exceptions.

    Nope. You hve offered unsubstantiated opinions about control and uniforms. You have offered not one shred of evidence about uniforms, which is the topic at hand and the one that I want to get back to in order to sum this ridiculous debate up. You have shown nada about parenting and zip about uniforms for pete's sake...
    I have actually provided a source earlier regarding uniforms.

    That is true.... but. That is kinda how you think, isn't it?
    Sorry, what?
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •