View Poll Results: Which of these statements do you agree with most?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uniforms should be federally mandated in all public schools.

    27 32.93%
  • No public school students should have to wear uniforms.

    23 28.05%
  • Uniforms should only be used in public schools with lots of discipline problems.

    6 7.32%
  • Somethin' else.

    26 31.71%
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 352

Thread: Uniforms in public schools...

  1. #321
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,665

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    FOR ****'S SAKE MAN KEEP TRACK OF THE DAMN CONVERSATION! We were talking about something dittohead said and it was not even remotely related to anyone calling me inferior.
    Sure it is, with all your whining about being labeled as inferior and your bitching about authoritarian complexes and your crying about control issues...

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    Oh please, the whole "I am older and have gone through more so I have the experience to tell me that I am right" is something I have heard to justify all sorts of positions. If what you were saying were somehow different from what I have heard when discussing foreign policy or criminal justice with people older than me I might give the baseless claim some weight. Rather all I am getting from you is that you do not have an adequate explanation for why you think you are right, most likely because it is purely your gut feeling and not something based in reason, and thus go for a cop-out.

    You are exhibiting the typical authoritarian mindset. That is to say you think that without exercising control over others and manipulating them the only other possible outcome is chaos.

    You cannot tell anything from my posts. Do not act like you are some sort of psychic. Rather you refuse to believe that someone can differ from you on this without being a child and thus beneath you.

    I have no doubt that you did not know more than your seniors. Actually, it seems most of the people on here who are so insistent that anyone under the age of 20 is an inferior being were irresponsible pricks at that age. So I am not surprised you would assume everyone has to be that way at such an age.

    I cannot think of any time when I was a child that I wanted people to control me. I like how people like you presume you know my age and then presume from your initial presumption that I must be inferior to you. Sorry, but you are not that good.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1059187832

    It is just one long winded diatribe... you will be a facing a time-out soon, junior.

    Fallacious does not mean that there is some named fallacy if that is what you are asking for. I am saying your reasoning is faulty.
    When using fallicious during a debate, it generally refers to a logical fallacy. That is fine then, show how my reasoning is faulty, if you don't mind.

    I do not think it really matters since we are talking about your attitude in this case, not in general.
    Even with regards to me, it is argumentative...

    I was not referring to those comments.
    Right, got it. Each time I nail you you say, "I was not talking to you" or "I was not referring to those comments" or "that is what someone else said"... it is cyclical.

    I know what you said and what I was saying is that it is something I would have pondered. If I had wanted someone to "control" me it is something I would have recognized.
    Is the nature of "consciousness" foreign to you? Thoughts, ideas and feelings that you are not conscious of are not known to you, hence pondering about it is irrelevant.

    con·scious·ness   /ˈkɒnʃəsnɪs/ Show Spelled
    [kon-shuhs-nis] Show IPA

    –noun
    1. the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
    2. the thoughts and feelings, collectively, of an individual or of an aggregate of people: the moral consciousness of a nation.
    3. full activity of the mind and senses, as in waking life: to regain consciousness after fainting.
    4. awareness of something for what it is; internal knowledge: consciousness of wrongdoing.
    5. concern, interest, or acute awareness: class consciousness.
    6. the mental activity of which a person is aware as contrasted with unconscious mental processes.
    7. Philosophy . the mind or the mental faculties as characterized by thought, feelings, and volition.


    Consciousness | Define Consciousness at Dictionary.com

    No, that is what someone else said. I only said "a while ago" and you should check since you obviously haven't.
    It might have been Henrin in all the back and forths... and I did check, just checked again, spent ten minutes filtering through threads and couldn't find it.

    Just because you have experienced something does not mean you are better at objectively analyzing it. Actually, personal experience tends to have the opposite effect.
    Just because I have personal experience doesn't mean that I am not better at objectively analysing it. I am sure that you have a study or two that would refute me and verify your claim then? I would argue that perception is the key cognitive factor and that somebody who has experienced something and has average abilities at perception would be better at objectively analysing their experiences than would a person that has no or little experience on the matter.

    No, you see I just a get little hostile when people talk down to me and treat me like I am beneath them. It has nothing to do with feeling inferior.
    I have only said that you are naive... that has nothing to do with being beneath me. Wouldn't you agree?

    Like I said, it is to be expected that people of the same mind on an issue would use the same fallacious reasoning. Let us be clear your presumption about my age is not based on anything even remotely approaching reason, but entirely based on the fact that I am disagreeing with you.
    I think that I got your comment mixed up with Henrins... If I did, then I am wrong. I can't recall though, nor do I care to talk about it anymore, since my initial usage of that was for comedic value about teenagers. My point has been though, that you lack experience and have a naive view about parenting and all that it entails. This really isn't debatable. You do, in fact, lack the experience that I and others have, that is what we keep telling you. Based off of our experience and the things that you keep saying, it is pretty obvious to us. You can think that our personal experience and you lack of personal experience somehow makes equally able to discern the complexities and nuances of what parenting entails if you like. It is just silly though, for reasons already stated and not refuted.

    My parents are hardcore Evangelicals so in a sense I was. However, I got away with plenty they would not have wanted so their attempts at control were miserable failures. That is the point.
    No. The point is hardcore Evangelicals tried to control you and you resent it. Their failure is irrelevant.

    Using something like uniforms to control kids is not going to work and can only cause damage.
    And you have yet to show one tangible bit of proof regarding this matter. Not one. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

    You should not presume that someone turning out well later in life in any way reflects on a parent's actions. Teenagers are human beings after all and they are exposed to far more people and situations than those concerning their parents. They also have their own minds to figure things out with.
    Another naive comment. Of course everybody has their own mind, but parents actions have an enormous amount of influence on a child, both positive and negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  2. #322
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,853

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Or that I feel sorry for you. I felt sorry for Bush sometimes and his job was a tad more powerful than mine is.
    The most important work we will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes
    Last edited by UtahBill; 12-30-10 at 06:07 PM.
    Parkinson's Disease sucks.
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  3. #323
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own homes....
    I think no matter what I manage to accomplish in my house, Bush will still have had more of an impact that I do!
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  4. #324
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,083

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    Like I said, it is to be expected that people of the same mind on an issue would use the same fallacious reasoning. Let us be clear your presumption about my age is not based on anything even remotely approaching reason, but entirely based on the fact that I am disagreeing with you.

    I can't speak for the rest, but in my conclusion was entirely based on the content of your posts. Many people have disagreed with me on these forums without me concluding that they were teens.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  5. #325
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,083

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post

    I'm sorry, but did he NOT just call me dumb before that? Am I supposed to be the shining light of respect because I'm younger?
    No, because of your comment above:

    I hear being disrespectful is fine if you're a parent or teacher.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  6. #326
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,853

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Another adage comes to mind, "the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world".
    We can complain about the prez, congress, taxes, them damn liberuhls, ubercons, etc. all we want, but it is what we do as parents that makes the difference for the child, and by extension, for the nation.
    Our younger posters in this thread don't like control, and maybe don't understand that good parents set boundaries for the child's own safety. Our daughter chafed a bit at the limits we set for her, but got over it and set similar limits for her own kids. If our son objected, we never heard it.
    Long story short, being a good parent, and grandparent, should be our first priority.

    There is too much talent wasted on this planet because too many parents abrogate their ultimate responsibilities to their children.
    I have posted before, and won't repeat it in detail here, but the extended family on my wife's side is almost totally admirable, while the extended family on my side is pretty much the opposite. On her side, there was a solid connection to wonderful grandparents, on my side, almost total disconnect as the grandparents didn't want to be involved. So about half of my nieces and nephews are educated and working at good jobs to support the other half of my neices and nephews on the dole....
    Parkinson's Disease sucks.
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #327
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 03:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    It should be determined by the local school board. Some schools need it, some don't. And the schools that need it should have them paid for by that district's taxes or fees paid by the family. On that note, families who use alternative schooling for their children (home or private) should get a tax break.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  8. #328
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,665

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    At least the angry teenagers have finally understood that they have been bested by their superior elders...


    Originally Posted by friday
    It should be determined by the local school board. Some schools need it, some don't. And the schools that need it should have them paid for by that district's taxes or fees paid by the family. On that note, families who use alternative schooling for their children (home or private) should get a tax break.
    Tax breaks are ridiculous... who is going to make up for the loss in welfare programs once this slippery slope goes astray?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  9. #329
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,665

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Another adage comes to mind, "the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world".
    We can complain about the prez, congress, taxes, them damn liberuhls, ubercons, etc. all we want, but it is what we do as parents that makes the difference for the child, and by extension, for the nation.
    Our younger posters in this thread don't like control, and maybe don't understand that good parents set boundaries for the child's own safety. Our daughter chafed a bit at the limits we set for her, but got over it and set similar limits for her own kids. If our son objected, we never heard it.
    Long story short, being a good parent, and grandparent, should be our first priority.

    There is too much talent wasted on this planet because too many parents abrogate their ultimate responsibilities to their children.
    I have posted before, and won't repeat it in detail here, but the extended family on my wife's side is almost totally admirable, while the extended family on my side is pretty much the opposite. On her side, there was a solid connection to wonderful grandparents, on my side, almost total disconnect as the grandparents didn't want to be involved. So about half of my nieces and nephews are educated and working at good jobs to support the other half of my neices and nephews on the dole....
    My children are important... sure. But one of the most important factors in raising good children is my career. I see my kids a couple of hours a week, and I usually have to put up with some homework help for them, but once the nanny puts them to bed, I can focus on what matters, my work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  10. #330
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Last Seen
    03-18-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,544

    Re: Should school uniforms be banned?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    My children are important... sure. But one of the most important factors in raising good children is my career. I see my kids a couple of hours a week, and I usually have to put up with some homework help for them, but once the nanny puts them to bed, I can focus on what matters, my work.
    Why have children in that case? You are never going to have that special closeness that a devoted parent and a grateful adult child share. In order to have that special closeness it is necessary to raise a child as if he or she is what really matters most. It is necessary to subordinate one's own interests to the interests of the child whenever required.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •