View Poll Results: Which of these statements do you agree with most?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uniforms should be federally mandated in all public schools.

    27 32.93%
  • No public school students should have to wear uniforms.

    23 28.05%
  • Uniforms should only be used in public schools with lots of discipline problems.

    6 7.32%
  • Somethin' else.

    26 31.71%
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 352

Thread: Uniforms in public schools...

  1. #111
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    Parents don't always seek to control, they seek to control for about 18 years. And it appears you have nothing to bring except an irrational paranoia of uniforms. Still no evidence?
    Can you please tell my mom since I am over 18 she can stop trying to seek that control? LOL!
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #112
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by MissLToe View Post
    We're having this discussion in the education section, so I thought I'd bring it up here for a poll.

    Your opinions, please and thank you.
    I firmly believe that the schools should be more heavily governed with consideration to the parents.

    If majority of parents prefer uniforms for whatever reason - fine with me.
    If they don't - fine with me.

    Since the burden of cost and care falls heavily on the parents and no one else - I don't see why this is a problem.

    This doesn't mean that uniforms are going to be effective at solving certain problems - and in fact they can cause other problems - I'm just saying that it should be up to a parent-vote. Not the district, not the government.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #113
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Spanking, spending on $hoes, control, Auntie goes OT. So uniforms are bad for students, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  4. #114
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Spanking, spending on $hoes, control, Auntie goes OT. So uniforms are bad for students, right?
    Are you asking me that?
    I can clarify my point if you need to know what I mean or what I'm thinking of.

    For one - I've never dealth with uniformed-older kids. My kids have been in a non-uniform district for 6 years now - no problems - but my oldest is only now in the 7th grade.

    Personally - I prefer not having to deal with uniforms at all. When they did have to wear them it was a pain in the ass in many ways. However - other people feel differently, thus, it should be up to popular vote of the parents - not the school-district - and most certainly not a county or state issue at all.

    Part of my view is because, from my experiences, there was also an overwhelming lack of insight from the school board as to what was acceptable-uniform. They choose some colors for tops and bottoms - and restricted materials. They were strict about the appearance of the overall uniform and gave no leniency to a younger child over their overall uniform-appearance thorughout the day.

    My kid's uniform was:
    No denim, no polyester. (because these things are evil somehow) - shirts had to be dress/polo or other type with a collar - no t-shirts and so on.
    Tops: dark blue / white / light yellow
    Bottom: dark blue / khaki
    Nice shoes
    Belt for boys.
    and on and on - it was quite strict. . . and stupidly so.

    My oldest (who was just in K at the time) had developmental disorders - he had problems buckling a belt, tying his shoes, and tucking in his clothes - but the school could care less, they gave him no leniency, and he was in trouble often - and I frequently received calls of complaints from the principle abotu his 'unkept appearance' and blah blah.

    He was a good student - never misbehaved - but he simply couldn't do all the little things that they expected and demanded.

    The color-choices were ridiculous. I found it impossible to give color-variety by mixing the few permissible colors up. White and yellow tops were constantly stained with paint and other things - never to come clean again. . . and dirty shirts weren't acceptable. Khaki pants, also, can't stay clean on a Kindergardener.
    Nor can nice shoes stay nice when a wild 5 year old is wearing them all day.
    And on and on - I have nothing but criticism about the implimentation and over-strictness of the uniform policy at the elementary schools he attended in that district. . . we moved away when he was in the 2nd grade and were pleased to not have to deal with uniforms anymore after that.

    We had other more serious issues, though - due to his developmental disorders.
    One was to do with after-school transportation. I worked at that time and after school my son was to be bused to a daycare. However, because all students looked alike via their uniforms, he was often confused with two other children - him having a developmental disorder - never was aware of the issues. He'd frequently be dropped off at other places - a problem I didn't even know about until after it happened several times and the principle finally decided to inform me.

    Thus - I found that uniforms merely functioned to confuse teachers - remove necessary identity which permits people who don't personally know students to otherwise tell them apart - and so on.

    Yet the argument that people give for uniforms is that it 'helps with behavior problems' and 'improves the school'
    But, quite honestly - I don't believe that it's *just the students* that make a school a *bad school* - it's the teachers and it's the governing staff (principle, vice principle, etc etc) - if these people are rude to the students, too demanding and obsessed with all the things that don't actually matter (who gives a damn if a shirt's tucked in, you know?) they will only stir dissent and disaproval and a lack of coopeartion and understanding as well as involvement from teh students and the parents.

    So - I like not having to deal with uniforms. In fact, I love it. But at the same time I've heard nothing but good things from others - so I think our personal experiences might be simply that - personal.

    Overall - I think when school-districts impliment any drastic measures they don't have a clue as to what the 'problems' really are and they think that blaming the students - or controling the students - is goign to fix things, but it doesn't.

    An non-uniform example of this is my kid's current school and how they've had to start handling the lunch-money issues in the school. . . they've coem to realize that THEY are the problem and NOT the parents or the students.

    The probelm they identified: too many kid's lunches aren't paid for on time.
    Their solution: call the parent the first time the student had $0 in their lunch account and push for sending payment immediately.

    Well - I rarely forget to send in the checks. However, I receive several calls a MONTH from the principle over 'sending in the money' - only to have to repeat myself everytime and say "I sent in their money - it should have been received . . . " - and sure enough - the teacher had it on their desk. Or the lunch-lady had it in a stack . . . it's always there - somewhere - and eventually it's accoutned for.

    So - it's been 3 months since they implimented their 'harass the parents' policy - only to have to stop because they realized where the problem was: them and their personal disorganization and overwhelming lack of communication between lunch-staff, teachers and so on.

    So - blah blah . .. I wrote a book - sorry
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 12-26-10 at 02:50 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #115
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    My kid's uniform was:
    No denim, no polyester. (because these things are evil somehow) - shirts had to be dress/polo or other type with a collar - no t-shirts and so on.
    Tops: dark blue / white / light yellow
    Bottom: dark blue / khaki
    Nice shoes
    Belt for boys.
    and on and on - it was quite strict. . . and stupidly so.
    Doesn't sound like what we think of as uniforms here. The uniforms here (one set each for summer dress, summer PE, winter dress and winter PE) is prescribed exactly for each school. Jackets and sweater vests as well, depending on the weather. Designs and colors are uniform. At my girls' elementary school, each student has his/her class and seat numbers stiched into the top of the uniform. Many middle schools and high schools also have students embroider their names on the uniforms, but some are going away from that and having them embroider their school id number. No fighting, no bickering about colors or designs. Saves a lot of hastles...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #116
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Forget fear and replace it with understand then.. Still lazy parenting if you use spanking a child as way to make them understand something.

    Spanking instills fear. If you are cool with kids not doing stuff cause they know their parents are gonna hit em rather than teaching em life lessons without having to raise your hand to em? Knock yourself out. Of course it was not YOU doing the DIRTY Deed! You made your wife do it.

    BTW, it does sound like you all did a good job and have a wonderful girl though
    That's a very shallow understanding of spanking. When I was spanked, I always knew what it was for and why what I did was wrong. Spanking just reinforced how very wrong it was. And for the record, I have never been scared of either of my parents. And I was never really that scared of a spanking either. For the most part, I avoided doing bad things because my parents DID manage to teach me right from wrong through spanking and other discipline methods.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Federally mandated uniforms will go over well in Nazi Germany or Repressive N Korea.
    Not here, obviously, at least to many of us.
    A problem may exist, there are better ways to handle this, with open-ness, honesty, respect, not repression and hatred as in N Korea, supposedly.
    I do not trust our media.
    An idea - if a child commits an offense, then the child and parent should face discipline together.

  8. #118
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,299
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Federally mandated uniforms will go over well in Nazi Germany or Repressive N Korea.
    Not here, obviously, at least to many of us.
    A problem may exist, there are better ways to handle this, with open-ness, honesty, respect, not repression and hatred as in N Korea, supposedly.
    I do not trust our media.
    An idea - if a child commits an offense, then the child and parent should face discipline together.
    I don't think that's a good idea...

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by MissLToe View Post
    Uniforms don't make kids feel like they belong. There are still outcasts, kids who make fun of others, cliques, etc. Uniforms aren't some magical phenomenon that make all kids' troubles go away.
    The schools MUST be smaller, even a lot smaller.
    Notice how well the charter schools are doing.
    Discipline is something we must work at - all of the timme..
    I do say that we need more parental involvement, but, have you noticed how poorly parents can act at times?
    There will always be outcasts, I may have been one......

  10. #120
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Forget fear and replace it with understand then.. Still lazy parenting if you use spanking a child as way to make them understand something.
    Lets do just that before we proceed to put the final nail in your limited understanding of parenting and discipline etc.

    Laying your hands on children to put fear in them instead of talking to them to teach lessons is being a crappy lazy parent. - Kali

    Now I never said anything close, and after calling you on it you say replace "fear" with "understand." Well that does not work. You can't explain to a 3 year old that putting his/her hand near a stove can burn. A couple swats on the seat/hand and that they understand enough not to go near it. a child with a limited intellect cannot understand certain things, as adults we are supposed to know this and react accordingly for their safety/wellbeing etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Spanking instills fear. If you are cool with kids not doing stuff cause they know their parents are gonna hit em rather than teaching em life lessons without having to raise your hand to em? Knock yourself out. Of course it was not YOU doing the DIRTY Deed! You made your wife do it.
    If it had anything at all to do with fear, why was my daughter not afraid of her mother?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    BTW, it does sound like you all did a good job and have a wonderful girl though
    Thanks Kali, it's called good parenting, and has nothing to do with fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •