View Poll Results: Which of these statements do you agree with most?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Uniforms should be federally mandated in all public schools.

    27 32.93%
  • No public school students should have to wear uniforms.

    23 28.05%
  • Uniforms should only be used in public schools with lots of discipline problems.

    6 7.32%
  • Somethin' else.

    26 31.71%
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 352

Thread: Uniforms in public schools...

  1. #91
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It is just a dad thing I guess, lol. I mean as I was growing up it was mostly dad who did it because we were boys. Besides I can only think of maybe 2 times she had to be spanked at all. I know one of the times it was because she was doing something and mom said do it now and she said... NO. Well I am glad I was out of the picture when that moment arrived. Needless to say she never said no to mom again, lol.
    My mom had the opposite problem. All her girls needed to be spanked a couple times. Her one boy was an angel.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  2. #92
    The Almighty
    Kelzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    13,534

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    What I am saying is common sense. If a spouse always tries to control what the other spouse is doing that is a red flag. There is no difference here.
    Your analogy (and your common sense) falls apart because spouses do not need to control each other. Parents need to control their children. Anyone who says differently has never had a child. Even the worst parents agrees that a kid needs to be controlled sometimes.

    Seriously though. There are a ton of studies of abusive parents. Back up your point. I only insist because I know you completely made it up.
    be humble for you are made of earth; be noble for you are made of stars

    Serbian proverb

  3. #93
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelzie View Post
    My mom had the opposite problem. All her girls needed to be spanked a couple times. Her one boy was an angel.
    Nope, that is exactly how it works, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    What I am saying is common sense. If a spouse always tries to control what the other spouse is doing that is a red flag. There is no difference here.
    That is not common sense... common sense tells us that parents have to have control of their children, if for no other reason than for safety.

    That you think being a parent inherently comes with an unqualified superiority complex says it all.
    Argumentative and fallicious...

    I doubt there are many, if any, truly good parents out there. However, "because I said so" is the common response when someone does not have a real answer.
    There are many... sorry you don't know any of them. And if you re-read why I toss out the ol' "Because I said so" as well as all the rest that I have written you might find out why having or not having the good or real answer is irrelevant...
    Last edited by Bodhisattva; 12-25-10 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #95
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,513

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It is just a dad thing I guess, lol. I mean as I was growing up it was mostly dad who did it because we were boys. Besides I can only think of maybe 2 times she had to be spanked at all. I know one of the times it was because she was doing something and mom said do it now and she said... NO. Well I am glad I was out of the picture when that moment arrived. Needless to say she never said no to mom again, lol.
    My dad was the same way too... Then when our mom tried to disciple us, we'd run to him..

    but she would complain about always being the mean parent

  6. #96
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    I doubt there are many, if any, truly good parents out there. However, "because I said so" is the common response when someone does not have a real answer.
    I have decided responding to you is pretty useless at this point. I did however want to cover your highlighted statement...

    If that were true, people like you would never have survived. Good parents protected and guided their young so they would not be eaten by predators.

    Welcome to the jungle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #97
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I don't see uniforms would help the kids be disciplined. All it will really do is make kids pissed off that they have to wear them.
    No it won't, and it's irrelevant what they think. They are the student and will wear what they are told to.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    No it won't, and it's irrelevant what they think. They are the student and will wear what they are told to.
    Absolutely... and it is interesting hearing non-parents and non-teachers who have never actually talked to students or teachers that go to schools with dress codes and see what they think. As a teacher at a school with a dress code, I would think that people would be asking me what it is like instead of offering up all sorts of idiotic and ill-informed opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #99
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Absolutely... and it is interesting hearing non-parents and non-teachers who have never actually talked to students or teachers that go to schools with dress codes and see what they think. As a teacher at a school with a dress code, I would think that people would be asking me what it is like instead of offering up all sorts of idiotic and ill-informed opinions.
    As a teacher at a school with uniforms and a parent of a child at another school with uniforms (all schools in the country use them except for the American and European ex-pat schools), I MUCH prefer school uniforms, for reasons mentioned in an earlier post AND because I never have to fight with my girls about what they are going to wear to school in the morning.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #100
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Uniforms in public schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    Uniforms neither make kids well-educated nor addicted to drugs.
    http://www.principalspartnership.com/schooluniforms.pdf

    Yeah, go ahead and twist the meaning. Would it be true if I said you hate minorities, because you want to bankrupt their parents who spend all their money on the latest style? No, I don't think that's the case, but if you want to play the game of twisting meanings we can.

    My three children went to private christian school for many years, and then public school later on. I can tell you that school uniforms are the most advantageous to the poorer children (regardless of the above study), because parents don't buy expensive clothes for school, which then wear out sooner. Uniforms (i.e., navy pants, white polo) can be purchased cheaper than designer clothes, and ultimately save the poor money.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •