View Poll Results: Your thoughts on holiday decorations at public schools...

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No religious holiday decorations should be allowed.

    3 10.71%
  • All religious holiday decorations should be equally displayed.

    4 14.29%
  • It depends on the religion of the majority of the student population.

    9 32.14%
  • Other

    12 42.86%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 60

Thread: Holiday decorations in public schools

  1. #41
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It's never worked for me.
    Damn, oh well, I guess I'll have to keep doing what I'm doing now. Making eye contact at them through the window, and not going to the door.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    So then, because 'your' family chooses to take the religious aspect of Christmas (the celebration of the birth of Christ) out of the holiday festivites, everyone else should too?
    It's not just her family, it's most of America.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It's not just her family, it's most of America.
    I'd like to see a survey or something that shows 'most of America' has chosen to take the religious aspect of Christmas (the celebration of the birth of Christ) out of the holiday festivites. Do you have a link to a credible source on that?

  4. #44
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    So, it's ok to celebrate a religious holiday as long as you keep religion out of it?
    The first amendment is a bitch isn't it. However, what people want to do with their own funds is fine.

  5. #45
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,082

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Christmas falls near the solstice, and people celebrated that long before.

    There is nothing Christian about how my family celebrates Christmas. The lights, tree, holly, yule log, feasting and gift-giving are truly ancient traditions.
    Correct. Christmas is a combination secular and religious holiday. Actually the Catholic Church hijacked a series of european holidays celebrating the winter solstice and decided that was the day we should celebrate the birth of Christ (and they did a similar thing in creating Easter). The fact is that his actual birth date is not known. Then American materialism (an anti-christ) further hijacked the date and turned it into 40% of US retail sales. Pagans and retail corporate king-pins have an equal to greater claim that we should get the Christ out of Christmas as others do advocating the opposite. But to call Christmas a high holy day is almost laughable now.

    This really should not be a problem to real Christians either, as the idea that Christians should carve out one particular day to celebrate God's gift to mortal man is also absurd. Real Christians celebrate the birth, the death and the resurrection on a daily basis.

  6. #46
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    So, it's ok to celebrate a religious holiday as long as you keep religion out of it?
    In a public school or on government property? Absolutely.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    So then, because 'your' family chooses to take the religious aspect of Christmas (the celebration of the birth of Christ) out of the holiday festivites, everyone else should too?
    Strawman much? What did I say about how your family should celebrate? OF course, you people DID impose your silly traditions on OUR EXISTING HOLIDAY, but I'm not offended.

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    I'd like to see a survey or something that shows 'most of America' has chosen to take the religious aspect of Christmas (the celebration of the birth of Christ) out of the holiday festivites. Do you have a link to a credible source on that?
    I'm not saying that they take it completely out, but the majority of the focus is on the secular parts of the holiday.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #49
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    I see the separation between church and state in terms of whether or not the state is actually establishing a specific religion, and so any discussion as to school celebrations would have to do with at least two considerations -- is the public school establishing one religion while excluding others, and is the religious expression initiated by the school or the personal expression of the students? If kids want to bring stuff to school to share by way of their religion, I think that's fine as long as the school is not preventing some while encouraging others. If the school wants the kids to sing, say, "Oh Holy Night" in their pageant, for instance, I see no problem with this (heck, it's one of the most beautiful song ever written) as long as they don't force kids to sing it, don't exclude other songs that might represent the religions of other students and offer kids the opportunity to voice their concerns one way or another.

    I see the situation as too often involving those who do want to cram their religion down everybody's throat on one side and people who want to eradicate religion from the public sphere entirely on the other side battling out their extreme positions, while the sensible middle ground gets ignored.
    Last edited by Gardener; 12-23-10 at 12:00 PM.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    I see the separation between church and state in terms of whether or not the state is actually establishing a specific religion, and so any discussion as to school celebrations would have to do with at least two considerations -- is the public school establishing one religion while excluding others, and is the religious expression initiated by the school or the personal expression of the students? If kids want to bring stuff to school to share by way of their religion, I think that's fine as long as the school is not preventing some while encouraging others. If the school wants the kids to sing, say, "Oh Holy Night" in their pageant, for instance, I see no problem with this (heck, it's one of the most beautiful song ever written) as long as they don't force kids to sing it, don't exclude other songs that might represent the religions of other students and offer kids the opportunity to voice their concerns one way or another.

    I see the situation as too often involving those who do want to cram their religion down everybody's throat on one side and people who want to eradicate religion from the public sphere entirely on the other side battling out their extreme positions, while the sensible middle ground gets ignored.
    Best post in the thread. Thank you... it's exactly why I voted All religious holiday decorations should be equally displayed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •