View Poll Results: Your thoughts on holiday decorations at public schools...

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No religious holiday decorations should be allowed.

    3 10.71%
  • All religious holiday decorations should be equally displayed.

    4 14.29%
  • It depends on the religion of the majority of the student population.

    9 32.14%
  • Other

    12 42.86%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: Holiday decorations in public schools

  1. #11
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    I don't mind (and only these are listed because they occur during hte school year)

    St Patrick's Day
    Valentine's Day
    Secular Christmas
    Thanksgiving

    I do mind Easter

    Growing up all those holidays WERE secular - if not to my family then at least to my friends in some way.

    But Easter was always religious. I never heard of a secular Easter - and never did I 'celebrate' it in school - it was purely religious for us, up at Dawn to have outside early morning service.
    But my kid's school system has an egg hunt and egg games at school - ticks me off. I don't get how it was purely religious in one area of the country and some bizarre non-religious thing in another.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #12
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    I'm fine with decorations that go along with religious holidays as long as those decorations themselves aren't religious iconography.

    For example, Christmas trees, santa claus, elves, and reindeer are cool. Nativity scenes, not so much.

    I'd give examples for other holidays, but I'm not familiar enough with them to really do so.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #13
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    I couldn't care less, religious or not, if it offends someone they can close their eyes as they walk past it, of course, it's a moot point in Australia, as we have school holidays over most of summer.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  4. #14
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I don't mind (and only these are listed because they occur during hte school year)

    St Patrick's Day
    Valentine's Day
    Secular Christmas
    Thanksgiving

    I do mind Easter

    Growing up all those holidays WERE secular - if not to my family then at least to my friends in some way.

    But Easter was always religious. I never heard of a secular Easter - and never did I 'celebrate' it in school - it was purely religious for us, up at Dawn to have outside early morning service.
    But my kid's school system has an egg hunt and egg games at school - ticks me off. I don't get how it was purely religious in one area of the country and some bizarre non-religious thing in another.
    You're opposed to Easter, but not a day celebrating a Catholic saint?
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    That is funny. When I thought about the question I didn't think of nativity scenes.. I thought of Santa Claus and trees, maybe some cookies or snowmen, but not Jesus. lol

    Putting a nativity scene on school property definitely changes the circumstance..
    Well, it's only the celebration of his bloody birthday isn't it? Can't have the bloody guest of honor at his own birthday party, now can we?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, it's only the celebration of his bloody birthday isn't it? Can't have the bloody guest of honor at his own birthday party, now can we?
    But it wasn't even the day he was born
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But it wasn't even the day he was born
    Well I didn't say it was, did I? Said it was his bloody birthday party. You don't have to have the party on your actual birthday do you now? Never get to have mine on my actual birthday, too bloody close to Christmas innit?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Sorry, I was just watching the Eddie Izzard clip on another thread, speech pattern rubbed off for a minute...

    Come to think of it today is my birthday, I'd forgotten until just now... think they'll be a party for old Goshin this close to Christmas? Presents and wotnot? No, Goshin has to wait a bit, everybody's doing Christmas right now you know.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356

    Re: Holiday decorations in public schools

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well I didn't say it was, did I? Said it was his bloody birthday party. You don't have to have the party on your actual birthday do you now? Never get to have mine on my actual birthday, too bloody close to Christmas innit?
    But his birthday was in summer, I think celebrating his birthday a possible 6 months after the actual date is a little disrespectful to our Lord, and Savior

    Seriously though, all joking aside, my point was that people make too big of a deal about this, and that, and people really should just enjoy the season. Because this time, in our culture, the Christmas holiday, has evolved into something far bigger than the religious holiday.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Sorry, I was just watching the Eddie Izzard clip on another thread, speech pattern rubbed off for a minute...

    Come to think of it today is my birthday, I'd forgotten until just now... think they'll be a party for old Goshin this close to Christmas? Presents and wotnot? No, Goshin has to wait a bit, everybody's doing Christmas right now you know.
    Happy Birthday to you! I hope you enjoy today, and Christmas

    And I agree that must suck having it so close to Christmas.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •