View Poll Results: How much should cops make in a year, on average?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50K starting

    22 47.83%
  • 50-60K starting

    13 28.26%
  • 60-80K starting

    11 23.91%
  • 80K-100K starting

    0 0%
  • 100K and up

    0 0%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 164

Thread: How much should cops be paid?

  1. #31
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I think personal information probably shouldn't be unless it is related to some decisions that his salary effects. Scales should be posted though because decisions about budgets and taxes are related. Individuals' actual pay, no, I can't see a need to know that. If you can't tell the difference, that's you're problem.
    No, my dear, if you can't see the similarity, that's your problem.

    There is nothing that should be more transparent than how tax dollars are spent. In Illinois, as an example, and I think in most states, there are online data bases to search individual teacher salaries. And their outrageous pensions. That's as it should be. They're using MY money, why would I not have a right to know how much they're making?

    But let me get back to the post of mine you quoted. It's okay to leak state secrets...to identify informants and target them for assassination among other things--and, in fact, you say it's a great idea. But letting taxpayers know how their tax dollars are being spent as regards to individual salaries, is an invasion of privacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Yep, I think within a company all salaries should be known, the demanded secrecy is what enables unfair wage practices experienced by most women and many minorities.
    Huh????
    Last edited by MaggieD; 12-09-10 at 09:38 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #32
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    That's an issue I had never thought of before.
    Taxpayers have a duty to know how their community spends its money, but individuals have a right to privacies.

    Certainly, the entire budget for a department should be known, and a break down as to what goes to salaries, maintenance, etc. But at some point, it should stop before individual's salary. Maybe posted by some non identifying information the way the they sometime post grades.
    Entire budgets don't tell the tale. Administrators have long been obfuscating individual salaries for very good reasons. The taxpayers would be up in arms if they knew what police, firefighters, teachers earn. If taxpayers knew the golden pensions these people received, they would be amazed -- and not amused AT all.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #33
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No, my dear, if you can't see the similarity, that's your problem.

    There is nothing that should be more transparent than how tax dollars are spent. In Illinois, as an example, and I think in most states, there are online data bases to search individual teacher salaries. And their outrageous pensions. That's as it should be. They're using MY money, why would I not have a right to know how much they're making?

    But let me get back to the post of mine you quoted. It's okay to leak state secrets...to identify informants and target them for assassination among other things--and, in fact, you say it's a great idea. But letting taxpayers know how their tax dollars are being spent as regards to individual salaries, is an invasion of privacy?



    Huh????
    Sorry Sweetie, you ain't my style. I stand by my comments, yours are ridiculous. Of course we should know how are dollars are spent, but by department or organization, not by individuals except for elected officials.

    As for the Huh? Wages should be posted internally in a company, not publicly outside the company.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #34
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Entire budgets don't tell the tale. Administrators have long been obfuscating individual salaries for very good reasons. The taxpayers would be up in arms if they knew what police, firefighters, teachers earn. If taxpayers knew the golden pensions these people received, they would be amazed -- and not amused AT all.
    I know what they make and I think they're way under paid for having to put up with assholes like you and like me.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  5. #35
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Sorry Sweetie, you ain't my style. I stand by my comments, yours are ridiculous. Of course we should know how are dollars are spent, but by department or organization, not by individuals except for elected officials.

    As for the Huh? Wages should be posted internally in a company, not publicly outside the company.
    Wages should be posted internally for every employee...but if anyone leaks the information to the general public then that's an invasion of privacy.....you really need to rethink your stance. It makes no sense. Also, why the exception for elected officials? What's your reasoning?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #36
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Wages should be posted internally for every employee...but if anyone leaks the information to the general public then that's an invasion of privacy.....you really need to rethink your stance. It makes no sense. Also, why the exception for elected officials? What's your reasoning?
    Elected officials are directly beholden to the taxpayer, others are indirectly.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  7. #37
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I know what they make and I think they're way under paid for having to put up with assholes like you and like me.
    Just because you call yourself an asshole, doesn't mean you can call me one, Summerwind. You think they're way underpaid because you don't know what they're making. If you do, link me to your state's LEO salaries--the state database. Let's both have a look. Your attitude that LEOs etc., are somehow sacred cows is drowning our states (you and me as taxpayers) in debt.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #38
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Just because you call yourself an asshole, doesn't mean you can call me one, Summerwind. You think they're way underpaid because you don't know what they're making. If you do, link me to your state's LEO salaries--the state database. Let's both have a look. Your attitude that LEOs etc., are somehow sacred cows is drowning our states (you and me as taxpayers) in debt.
    I don't share on-line my location, ever. You may continue with your opinion that our safety and our children are not worth what you pay in taxes. I will continue to be willing to pay more taxes if it goes to the safety and education of my community.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  9. #39
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Just because you call yourself an asshole, doesn't mean you can call me one, Summerwind. You think they're way underpaid because you don't know what they're making. If you do, link me to your state's LEO salaries--the state database. Let's both have a look. Your attitude that LEOs etc., are somehow sacred cows is drowning our states (you and me as taxpayers) in debt.
    come on maggie, be real. I don't know about your state, but in my state teachers and cops are waaaay underpaid compared to others with similar education and training.

    I quit teaching in 2004, for many reasons. one of them was the pay. I was teaching in the 2nd highest paid school district in the state, so I was making above the average for a teacher in Alabama. I have a masters degree and had 10 years experience and I was making $40K per year.

    I found a job with a govt contractor that paid $19K more per year.

    The sheriff's deputies in my county make in the upper 20s, lower 30s depending on experience. My son makes more than that repairing HVAC systems.

    An Alabama State Trooper starts at $35K, the Trooper pay scale tops out at $59K and that is after 22 years minimum.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 12-09-10 at 10:15 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #40
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Moderator's Warning:
    How much should cops be paid?Just a reminder to everyone to remain passionate about their positions, yet civil. Thanks!
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •