View Poll Results: How much should cops make in a year, on average?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50K starting

    22 47.83%
  • 50-60K starting

    13 28.26%
  • 60-80K starting

    11 23.91%
  • 80K-100K starting

    0 0%
  • 100K and up

    0 0%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 164

Thread: How much should cops be paid?

  1. #11
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    I say the pay should depends on location,city or town budget, how dangerous it is to be a police officer in that town and what type of position or job duty the police officer has.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Cops, firemen, and teachers should be the best paid workers, IMO. To me, these are the folks who are the foundation of civilized society.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Average copper salary in SC is $49,000. Supervisory copper salary average $61,000. Most people would be absolutely amazed at the salaries of our police officers. Combine their salaries with some of the most generous pensions on the planet, and you'll find out why they stand in line to sign up. Police Officer Salary in South Carolina | Indeed.com

    I seriously have to question the accuracy of that site.

    I know for a fact that starting pay for many small-town cops is less than 20k. Thirteen years ago, starting pay for Deputy in one of the larger and more urban counties was about 26k, and State Troopers was about 28k. Raises could be from .25c /hour to maybe a dollar an hour depending. A Trooper Sergeant with 15-20 years in might make 49k, but I find it impossible to believe the AVERAGE cop in SC is making that much.

    I'll do some checking when I have time.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Cops, firemen, and teachers should be the best paid workers, IMO. To me, these are the folks who are the foundation of civilized society.

    Yet, they are often paid less than clerks and other bureaucrats... in some cases less than city garbage-men.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #15
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    I just noticed that my arresting officer is paid $123,000 yearly. I thought this was way too much, but I'm sure many would disagree.

    Given that law enforcement is the role of government, this issue is best decided by the taxpayers and not the market.

    I believe cops should be generously paid, but not more than 100k a year. The arresting officer was a low-level grunt and not a supervisor or a lieutenant.

    In my opinion, cops should start out at somewhere around 50-60K a year and from there, the salary should increase. 123K a year is something a lieutenant, in my opinion, could be making. But not your average field officer. What are your thoughts?

    This is just concerning their pay. Their pensions and benefits are an entirely different matter.
    Just noticed from where? There should be no place that an individual's salary is available for you to find. Perhaps a pay scale, but not what that copper made. Just doesn't make sense that any state or community would publish personal data like that.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  6. #16
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    I just noticed that my arresting officer is paid $123,000 yearly. I thought this was way too much, but I'm sure many would disagree.

    Given that law enforcement is the role of government, this issue is best decided by the taxpayers and not the market.

    I believe cops should be generously paid, but not more than 100k a year. The arresting officer was a low-level grunt and not a supervisor or a lieutenant.

    In my opinion, cops should start out at somewhere around 50-60K a year and from there, the salary should increase. 123K a year is something a lieutenant, in my opinion, could be making. But not your average field officer. What are your thoughts?

    This is just concerning their pay. Their pensions and benefits are an entirely different matter.
    Sounds like you have an axe to grind. I don't believe what this officer made is the 'norm'. I have several friends in law enforcement that don't make anywhere near that amount of money.

    It's funny to me that people think the cops are the 'bad guys' until they are being robbed at gunpoint, get into an auto accident or your house has been burgled, then suddenly, everyone wants the cops to show up.

    It's amazing.

    Any public servant that puts their lives on the line or who save lives without question, should be paid a lot more than they are.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Lol. 'Less than 50K starting'

    Absolutely. No police officer is worth 50k.

    If anyone should have their wages bumped up, it is Nurses and Teachers.


  8. #18
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    @ Goshin -- I hope you do check it out. I think you (most of us) would be very surprised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Just noticed from where? There should be no place that an individual's salary is available for you to find. Perhaps a pay scale, but not what that copper made. Just doesn't make sense that any state or community would publish personal data like that.
    If I'm paying your salary, it damn well should be available to me. Nothing should be more transparent than the salaries of those paid with tax dollars.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Sounds like you have an axe to grind. I don't believe what this officer made is the 'norm'. I have several friends in law enforcement that don't make anywhere near that amount of money.

    It's funny to me that people think the cops are the 'bad guys' until they are being robbed at gunpoint, get into an auto accident or your house has been burgled, then suddenly, everyone wants the cops to show up.

    It's amazing.

    Any public servant that puts their lives on the line or who save lives without question, should be paid a lot more than they are.
    Yours is the "sacred cow" approach that is strangling this country -- on a state level, especially. LEO salaries shouldn't be pulled out of thin air. When the line is long to get employed as a LEO, that means the pay is excellent. And there are no shortages of LEOs. They are coveted jobs.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #19
    Guru

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,469

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Whatever it takes to get qualified people to seek the positions, no more, no less.

    .

  10. #20
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,896
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: How much should cops be paid?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    Whatever it takes to get qualified people to seek the positions, no more, no less.
    Yeah, I don't know the numbers. But it should be enough to get well qualified candidates and to encourage people to want to do these important jobs. But from a taxpayer's point of view, no more than that.
    I may be wrong.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •