View Poll Results: Do you believe Noah?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im Christian. I believe his age and the Ark

    9 10.84%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe the Ark. I believe his age

    1 1.20%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe his age but I believe the Ark.

    2 2.41%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe EITHER his age nor the Ark.

    10 12.05%
  • Not Christian but I believe both the age and the Ark

    2 2.41%
  • Not Christian and its total and utter rubbish!

    49 59.04%
  • Other / I dont Know

    10 12.05%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 237

Thread: Do You believe Noah?

  1. #211
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    This is known as confirmation bias. Because you believe n the existence of God, random events are interpreted through that belief to reinforce your preconception that he exists.
    I don't agree because until those things happened, I didn't believe. I am assuming of course my experiences are similar to hers.

    I am not saying you are wrong, but I do not think that is the case for everyone who believes in God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,802

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't agree because until those things happened, I didn't believe. I am assuming of course my experiences are similar to hers.

    I am not saying you are wrong, but I do not think that is the case for everyone who believes in God.
    For most people, they believe because they were indoctrinated. For some, they had events in their life that they couldn't explain so they adopted a religious view as an explanation rather than either seeking out the real explanation or just admitting they didn't know. Picking something just because it makes you feel better isn't rational.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Of course not. Nor do I believe in Frodo Baggins or Conan the Barbarian. Why do you ask?

  4. #214
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    For most people, they believe because they were indoctrinated. For some, they had events in their life that they couldn't explain so they adopted a religious view as an explanation rather than either seeking out the real explanation or just admitting they didn't know. Picking something just because it makes you feel better isn't rational.
    If this was the case we would still believe in Zeus etc.

    I don't think most people pick something to make them "feel better" at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #215
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    This is known as confirmation bias. Because you don't believe in the existence of God, random events are interpreted through that belief to reinforce your preconception that he doesn't exist.
    fixed it for ya. no thanks necessary
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #216
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by troubadour View Post
    of course not. Nor do i believe in frodo baggins....

    frodo lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    frodo lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So does Scrooge McDuck.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Nah, I don't believe Noah. I think he has bluffed his way to the top, as he is clearly not good enough to play for the Chicago Bulls.

  9. #219
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    For most people, they believe because they were indoctrinated. For some, they had events in their life that they couldn't explain so they adopted a religious view as an explanation rather than either seeking out the real explanation or just admitting they didn't know. Picking something just because it makes you feel better isn't rational.
    Well, I can't deny that indoctrination is a factor in why religion is so widespread... but it's not even as simple of a matter of 'events you can't explain'... and also that for some people religion is a comfort...

    The thing is that there are proofs of spiritual reality.... a prime example, ever seen the film 'a beautiful mind'?? Well, the real world Robert Nash discovered 'game theory' and created mathematical proof of the spiritual concept of altruism (or in the bible 'do unto others'). That doesn't necessarily prove the single all knowing all powerful god, but it does prove that the points discussed. So, whether Noah is 'physically' real and the flood story really happened, that doesn't mean that there aren't important lessons to be drawn from this and other ancient stories...

  10. #220
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,802

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Well, I can't deny that indoctrination is a factor in why religion is so widespread... but it's not even as simple of a matter of 'events you can't explain'... and also that for some people religion is a comfort...

    The thing is that there are proofs of spiritual reality.... a prime example, ever seen the film 'a beautiful mind'?? Well, the real world Robert Nash discovered 'game theory' and created mathematical proof of the spiritual concept of altruism (or in the bible 'do unto others'). That doesn't necessarily prove the single all knowing all powerful god, but it does prove that the points discussed. So, whether Noah is 'physically' real and the flood story really happened, that doesn't mean that there aren't important lessons to be drawn from this and other ancient stories...
    It really doesn't matter whether there are lessons to be learned. There are lessons to be learned from Aesop's Fables too, but you don't see religions springing up demanding they're factually true. If there are lessons, take them. Don't pretend that it makes them real.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •