View Poll Results: Do you believe Noah?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im Christian. I believe his age and the Ark

    9 10.84%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe the Ark. I believe his age

    1 1.20%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe his age but I believe the Ark.

    2 2.41%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe EITHER his age nor the Ark.

    10 12.05%
  • Not Christian but I believe both the age and the Ark

    2 2.41%
  • Not Christian and its total and utter rubbish!

    49 59.04%
  • Other / I dont Know

    10 12.05%
Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 237

Thread: Do You believe Noah?

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
    Tends to happen with floods.
    Again, tends to happen with floods.
    Not really unusual for a rainy season.
    This is where there's a disconnect... I do understand your point, but there's the matter of the scale in the descriptions

    And what about the warnings to people that DONT come true, those tend to be quite a bit more numerous.
    See but in many of those ancient myths it's suggested that God exists / existed along side man... there's also stories of 'giants' in ancient times (Gen 6, David vs Goliath), but there's not really any evidence of that being true either.

    Again, not unusual for a flood.

    What you describe happens regardless of where a flood happens so I'd say the bolded is much more likely.

    Ok, but where did the water GO after the flood? Did it magically disappear?
    That's a tough call... and (assuming truth) it depends on the nature of the flood, the nature of god in these myths, and a number of other factors.

    It really boils down to faith... you're either going to believe or you're not...

    One thing you have to consider is that if you did add that much water to earth through some outside means, you'd essentially destroy Earth about fifty different ways. And I dont mean like "Oops, I killed a few plants." I mean like dead dead, all life wiped out, not even bacteria left.
    No, I get that, I mean, if it was water coming in from outer space it would be ice and therefore solid enough to destroy everything... but for the sake of argument let's say the flood came from technological means, there's a few different ways I could conceive the accomplishment... where did it go?? Well, the oceans hold ALOT of water... and since we're talking somewhere between 6-11000 years ago, can we say definitively that the oceans were the same levels then prior to this flood??

    We know where the oceans sat and we know the technology level of when the flood is reputed to have happened.
    Oh, do we really??? At best we got a good idea about when these stories were WRITTEN, when these stories actually happened is speculative at best.

    If that's true, I'm going to want to see some evidence of it.
    Naturally any evidence is under the ocean...

    That's comforting? What makes you think your energy will remain intact when you die and wont dissipate to thousands of other things?
    Ya... that is a comfort... it's hard to verbalize why it's a comfort, but I do find comfort in that.

    As for the rest, there's no real way to conclusively PROVE what's gone on, but I do think of the old testament as something of a history of humans pre-history.... though I'm sure that there's lots that's been lost in translation, is metaphor, etc...

  2. #182
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    12-11-10 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    can you prove he did not?

    can you prove he didn't?

    According to the Bible, Noah did not 'find' the animals, they came to him.

    I guess God couldn't keep animals from eating each other if he didn't want them to, huh

    Ever hear the story of the loaves and fish?


    That's how easy it is to negate the OP, if you're religious. If you're not, you'll probably think the OP is 'God'. (pun intended)
    First two claims equate to asking us to prove a negative, thus committing the fallacy of negative proof.
    Third & fourth was rubbish that is just making random claims w/o supporting evidence. The fourth is possible to do, splitting a loaf into however many parts needed sure, but everyone would've starved in the first place given the small portion of food.

    The third is utterly foolish, as it does not even address the arguments given. It is physically impossible for the darned ark to float.
    In conclusion, the Ark story is utter bull. Sorry for bursting your bubble.

  3. #183
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Do I believe in Noah?

    A better question is do I believe the Abrahamic God is the biggest Liar and Deceiver of all time?

    No to both.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #184
    Technomancer
    Hoplite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    05-08-11 @ 03:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,779

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    This is where there's a disconnect... I do understand your point, but there's the matter of the scale in the descriptions
    Erm..how so?

    See but in many of those ancient myths it's suggested that God exists / existed along side man... there's also stories of 'giants' in ancient times (Gen 6, David vs Goliath), but there's not really any evidence of that being true either.
    ....ok...and?

    That's a tough call... and (assuming truth) it depends on the nature of the flood, the nature of god in these myths, and a number of other factors.

    It really boils down to faith... you're either going to believe or you're not...
    I have zero problem with belief. It's when you start trying to get me to accept these things as literal fact that I get edgy

    No, I get that, I mean, if it was water coming in from outer space it would be ice and therefore solid enough to destroy everything
    No...it wouldnt. The ice would burn away into water vapor long before it entered the atmosphere and that much water would actually throw the gravitation of the Earth off and probably knock it out of it's orbit.

    ... but for the sake of argument let's say the flood came from technological means, there's a few different ways I could conceive the accomplishment... where did it go?? Well, the oceans hold ALOT of water... and since we're talking somewhere between 6-11000 years ago, can we say definitively that the oceans were the same levels then prior to this flood??
    Ok, the AMOUNT of water on Earth NEVER changes. Ocean levels rise and fall with the shrinking or growing of the polar ice caps. The bigger the ice caps, the lower the ocean levels. A change in the level of the oceans doesnt actually effect how much water there is on Earth.

    Oh, do we really??? At best we got a good idea about when these stories were WRITTEN, when these stories actually happened is speculative at best.
    In the time-frame (roughly) provided, we have a good idea of what our capabilities were and the ark is not within that range.

    Naturally any evidence is under the ocean...
    And that evidence consists of what exactly?

    Ya... that is a comfort... it's hard to verbalize why it's a comfort, but I do find comfort in that.
    I find it a little odd, but to each their own

    As for the rest, there's no real way to conclusively PROVE what's gone on, but I do think of the old testament as something of a history of humans pre-history.... though I'm sure that there's lots that's been lost in translation, is metaphor, etc...
    Simply because something cant be disproven doesn't automatically make it true.
    I'm Done

    See my last post

  5. #185
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Look people. Noah didnt live till 900+ years. Thats stupid.
    He also didnt build an ark that could hold EVERY frekin' animal in the world PLUS thier mate!

    Does Jesus exist? Up to you.
    Is there a God? Up to YOU!

    I believe in God. I dont believe in Noah's struggle. I ALSO dont believe Jonah! In FACT... maybe I should make a poll regarding Jonah. Hmmmmmmm
    No, it's not up to you. Either Jesus was real or not. What you believe about it is irrelevant. Either God exists or not. What you believe is irrelevant. You don't get to decide what reality is. You either get to accept reality as it actually is or you get to be delusional. Your personal beliefs have no bearing on what is.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #186
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Do you believe Noah?

    In brief, yes.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #187
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    I'm not Christian (never baptized anything) and I don't believe any of it.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  8. #188
    Traditional
    hiswoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Last Seen
    04-04-13 @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    My belief in God is not predicated on whether or not the stories contained within the Bible are "literally" true. I do believe Noah existed and I believe there was a great flood and an ark.




    Gestures, in love, are incomparably more attractive, effective and valuable than words.
    ~ Francois Rabelais

  9. #189
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,570

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by hiswoman View Post
    My belief in God is not predicated on whether or not the stories contained within the Bible are "literally" true. I do believe Noah existed and I believe there was a great flood and an ark.
    Do you believe that two of every kiknd of kangaroo, two of every poisonous snake, two koalas, etc., all madde their way across the ocean back to Australia and repopulated that continent?

    How?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #190
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Do you believe that two of every kiknd of kangaroo, two of every poisonous snake, two koalas, etc., all madde their way across the ocean back to Australia and repopulated that continent?

    How?
    Divine teleportation...



    Or, since there's apparently a flood story/fable/myth/whatever of some sort in many places all over the world, then there was a noah-analog, an ark-analog, and such. So it was only the animals from that land-mass or area that were on the individual arks.

    Who knows?

    I'm throwing ideas at a wall here. A wall made of chicken wire.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •