View Poll Results: Do you believe Noah?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im Christian. I believe his age and the Ark

    9 10.84%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe the Ark. I believe his age

    1 1.20%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe his age but I believe the Ark.

    2 2.41%
  • Im Christian. I dont believe EITHER his age nor the Ark.

    10 12.05%
  • Not Christian but I believe both the age and the Ark

    2 2.41%
  • Not Christian and its total and utter rubbish!

    49 59.04%
  • Other / I dont Know

    10 12.05%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 237

Thread: Do You believe Noah?

  1. #171
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    This particular flood myth has had rather a lot of publicity over the three millenia or so since the story originated.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev316 View Post
    I just find it fascinating. And yes, I am aware that floods happen all over the world. This particular flood, however, seems to have burned itself in to our DNA for some reason. I like to know what others think, that's all.
    But it isn't an actual flood, it's experience with flooding in general, plus contact with other cultures which had similar flood traditions, combined with the particularly insideous nature of Christianity, which has made this particular flood myth commonplace. Within the Noachian narrative are elements of the Gilgamesh epic and Hindu mythology. In fact, the whole story of Noah's sons finding him naked is taken directly from a Hindu story which predated it by centuries. People assume that these stories came from real events. They did not.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #173
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    The universal flood, like many of the Bible stories, is intended as allegory. Noah listened to the prophets and was prepared for a calamity. The lesson: Listen to the prophets and be prepared. The people of New Orleans would have been well advised to have listened to the story of Noah, with the the weather service serving as the prophets. It was never meant to have been an account of a real, historical event. Trying to make it out to be an actual occurrence, particularly now that we know that such a flood and rescue is scientifically impossible, is just silly.

    It is possible that there was a big flood in that flood prone area, and that someone built a barge and saved some farm animals. It is more likely that the Noah story was written as a story with a message.

    All that doesn't mean that the Bible is wrong, just that parts of it aren't to be taken literally.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #174
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Yes, people treat the Bible like a science book, but it's a work of literature. Expect literary devices to be present throughout. Just because something scientifically doesn't make sense does not mean that the book is wrong.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #175
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Yes, people treat the Bible like a science book, but it's a work of literature. Expect literary devices to be present throughout. Just because something scientifically doesn't make sense does not mean that the book is wrong.
    The only part which is even remotely plausible in that story is that a flood happened. Big, f'n, woop.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #176
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The only part which is even remotely plausible in that story is that a flood happened. Big, f'n, woop.
    I dunno.

    It's plausible to me that the whole thing is just a greatly exaggerated story about a guy surviving a large flood that reached the tops of the hills in the area on a large raft he built to hold him, his family, and the domesticated animals he owned...

    Although I’ve heard people hypothesize about the referenced flood being due to the ice caps melting for some reason…dunno exactly how that would happen…
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #177
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I dunno.

    It's plausible to me that the whole thing is just a greatly exaggerated story about a guy surviving a large flood that reached the tops of the hills in the area on a large raft he built to hold him, his family, and the domesticated animals he owned...

    Although I’ve heard people hypothesize about the referenced flood being due to the ice caps melting for some reason…dunno exactly how that would happen…
    It woudn't, of course. The Bible says it rained "40 days and 40 nights", the number 40 having been translated from a word that meant "many". So, it rained a long time, and there was a flood. It was probably a literary flood, much like the sour grapes that the fox couldn't reach in Aesop's fable. It could have been a real flood, and it is possible that Noah built a boat and saved his farm animals, but it is more likely that the whole story is just an allegory.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #178
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Look people. Noah didnt live till 900+ years. Thats stupid.
    He also didnt build an ark that could hold EVERY frekin' animal in the world PLUS thier mate!

    Does Jesus exist? Up to you.
    Is there a God? Up to YOU!

    I believe in God. I dont believe in Noah's struggle. I ALSO dont believe Jonah! In FACT... maybe I should make a poll regarding Jonah. Hmmmmmmm
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  9. #179
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    " Now Jonah now he lived in a whale.
    Yeah Jonah he lived in a whale
    Yet he made his home in that
    Fish's abdomen.
    Jonah he lived in a whale.

    I said, ain't necessarily so.
    No, ain't necessarily so.
    The things you're liable
    To read in a bible
    Ain't necessarily so.
    Ain't necessarily so.
    No, it ain't necessarily so."
    G&I Gershwin.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #180
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Do You believe Noah?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Does Jesus exist? Up to you.
    Is there a God? Up to YOU!
    I disagree.

    Jesus and god either exist or they do NOT exist. Its not up to you or me whether it is true that jesus or god exists.

    It is up to you whether you BELIEVE they exist or not. But either way your BELIEFS do NOT change reality. E.G., if I believe there is a Ferrari in my garage it doesn't make it true.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •