View Poll Results: Which holiday do you observe/celebrate

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christmas

    43 78.18%
  • Hanukah

    3 5.45%
  • Kwanza

    0 0%
  • Other

    9 16.36%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 121

Thread: Holiday Celebration

  1. #91
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    His words were "overwhelming majority" and "no religious overtones whatsoever."

    Attending a service or a mass is indeed celebrating the religion in the holiday.
    you're welcome to that opinion but IMO I disagree just seems to easy to associate anything with anything then. Ive gone with various people to various religious events (or other events)I wouldnt consider myself celebrating anything with them. just saying,

    The point is I dont think you me or whoever gets to decide what celebrating is for others. I think its a majority that do nothing more than I said (I dont know anybody that does anything more) and the people that do those things are a vast minority in my life circles anyway.

    Also of that vast minority that "I" know that do those things or even attend a mass "some" of them have said themselves they just go to do it, to be seen, for the social side not to "celebrate" "religiously"

    again my disclaimer these are only the people "I" know so take it for what it is but Ill just go on record saying this, I wont say he is right cause he may very well be wron

    BUT

    if I was making a bet Id put my money on him being closer to reality than I ever would you saying he is "quite staggeringly" wrong and it is "indeed wishful thinking"
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post


    It's not exactly the same question, namely, it only asks those who say Christmas was happier that year, and it is two years old.
    Great, 78% report doing nothing religious and you think this somehow makes what I said wrong?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Great, 78% report doing nothing religious and you think this somehow makes what I said wrong?
    I quoted the wrong person, sorry

  4. #94
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    As an atheist, I celebrate Christmas.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    As an atheist, I celebrate Christmas.
    Heretic.


  6. #96
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Great, 78% report doing nothing religious and you think this somehow makes what I said wrong?
    That poll doesn't measure anything relevant to your point. If you think it bolsters what you said, you misunderstand it completely, or you're simply being dishonest.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  7. #97
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    you're welcome to that opinion but IMO I disagree just seems to easy to associate anything with anything then. Ive gone with various people to various religious events (or other events)I wouldnt consider myself celebrating anything with them. just saying,

    The point is I dont think you me or whoever gets to decide what celebrating is for others. I think its a majority that do nothing more than I said (I dont know anybody that does anything more) and the people that do those things are a vast minority in my life circles anyway.

    Also of that vast minority that "I" know that do those things or even attend a mass "some" of them have said themselves they just go to do it, to be seen, for the social side not to "celebrate" "religiously"

    again my disclaimer these are only the people "I" know so take it for what it is but Ill just go on record saying this, I wont say he is right cause he may very well be wron

    BUT

    if I was making a bet Id put my money on him being closer to reality than I ever would you saying he is "quite staggeringly" wrong and it is "indeed wishful thinking"
    Well, you know what? No matter what else you want to call it, attending a religious service is, indisputably, a "religious overtone." So yeah, wishful thinking.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #98
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Well, you know what? No matter what else you want to call it, attending a religious service is, indisputably, a "religious overtone." So yeah, wishful thinking.

    uhm guess you missed the part about me saying the vast minority that I know do that so NO my money still rides on him LMAO
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  9. #99
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:57 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by O_Guru View Post
    uhm guess you missed the part about me saying the vast minority that I know do that so NO my money still rides on him LMAO
    I really don't care who you know; anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.

    This Christmas, 78% of Americans Identify as Christian

    But believe what you want, of course.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #100
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Holiday Celebration

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I really don't care who you know; anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.

    This Christmas, 78% of Americans Identify as Christian

    But believe what you want, of course.
    Identifying and being are two different things. In this country, claiming to be a Christian is part of a social identity. If you only counted those people who actually understood what it is that they supposedly believe, go to church regularly, read the Bible, etc. that number would be minuscule. Besides, with 30,000 distinct sects of Christianity out there, many of whom consider all others to be heretical, how do you define what "Christian" actually means?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •