View Poll Results: What should be done about unemployment benefits?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend them through deficit spending

    14 21.54%
  • Extend them, but pay for them with unpaid stimulus/tarp funds

    19 29.23%
  • Don't extend them, it is unregulated welfare

    22 33.85%
  • Other, Explain:

    8 12.31%
  • Don't you touch my unemployment benefits!!

    2 3.08%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 198

Thread: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

  1. #121
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    incidentally; what did you teach?

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,876

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    High school Government and US History.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #123
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    High school Government and US History.
    oh geezes.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,876

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    And what do you do for a living cpwill?

    And I have read at least three biographies of FDR including the massive work by Schlesinger and a recent one by Goodwin. They do not agree with your assessment or the ones you say you have read - whatever they may be.
    Last edited by haymarket; 12-04-10 at 02:10 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #125
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And what do you do for a living cpwill?
    heck, I'm just a dumb Marine.


    which is so odd; you should be the master of this subject. you should have the relevant authoritative sources at your fingertips, the New Deal was huge in both American history and the development of American governance (cooperative federalism, hello?). you should know this inside and out backwards and forwards and yet you seem ignorant of some of the basics.

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,876

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    heck, I'm just a dumb Marine.


    which is so odd; you should be the master of this subject. you should have the relevant authoritative sources at your fingertips, the New Deal was huge in both American history and the development of American governance (cooperative federalism, hello?). you should know this inside and out backwards and forwards and yet you seem ignorant of some of the basics.
    Again sir, you seem to confuse two very different things: when I ask you to explain what you believe about something or where you got this information, I am not disagreeing with such things that they did not happen in any way. I am merely asking you to say where you got this information so that your source can be examined by me to see how they are interpreting something that my indeed be open to a wide variety of interpretations and conclusions. Such is the food issue being discussed here.

    You also seem unaware that there are significant differences in historians and political scientists about the import and impact of all kinds of things in both fields. Knowledge of basic historical fact is pretty cut and dry. However it can be highly selective as well. Knowing what to select and then interpreting its importance to America and its people is a very different things and that is where people part company.
    Last edited by haymarket; 12-04-10 at 02:22 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #127
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    phattonez

    your response is so typical of libertarians. I give you the real world situation and you give me theory.
    Another typical haymarket response. Devoid of any real content. I'm done reading your posts.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,876

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    A Christmas present comes early.

    And if you bothered to think about it, the content is clear and unmistakable. I discuss real world events as they happened and your response is to tell me what the Econ 101 textbook says about the theory of the matter. That is real content. It is simply content that you do not like or approve of.

    You see Ph. I think theory is crap. In fact, crap has a real pragmatic function as fertilizer for the garden. Theory and all that abstract philosophy that gussies it up is worth less than crap. Give me real world pragmatics every day of the week. My days of being a sophomore in college staying up half the night on too much caffeine discussing 'what is Truth' are long gone and I wish I had those wasted hours back to really put to use.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #129
    Steve
    tryreading's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Last Seen
    02-26-13 @ 07:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,809

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Theft is theft, what that theft does to help or not help others is immaterial. You shouldn't support it because someone isn't homeless now, or someone doesn't lose a meal, its still fundamentally wrong to steal from others regardless.

    Entitlements remind me of Robin Hood in so many ways. Was Robin Hood noble, or was he only changing up who plays what role? Was his theft noble because it helped people?

    Answer, Robin Hood was a douche because the act of the theft made him the hero, it made him the leader, the man that all must depend on. It made him a douche because he didn't give people what they needed to get out, instead he gave himself a chance to have power over all those needy. He wasn't interested in helping them at all, he was interested in helping himself. If he was interested in them he wouldn't of stole from the rich, he would of fought for the poor, for their interests, for their cause. He would of taught them what they needed to know to fight, he would of taught them what they needed to make it on their own, but instead he stole from the rich and gave others their gold, which that gold that was given to the poor will run out and they have no way to replace it other than going through Robin Hood. Robin Hood was a douche, a lier, a deserver, and a thief. He was not noble at all and neither is entitlements.

    The fact is I don't much care what the results without it would of been, I care for the correct means of fixing a problem, and not resorting to stealing from people.
    So, is most taxation theft to you?

    You know each person, and party, and clique favors certain taxes and disfavors others. For instance, there is a libertarian on the radio who prettymuch wants most federal taxes repealed. But one day a listener called in and agreed with that sentiment and listed departments and services he would like discontinued. He mentioned the National Park Service, and the libertarian host said 'But I like the national parks.'

    Anyway, I'm a capitalist, but I don't have a problem with the unemployment insurance setup. The general working public is not smart enough, or maybe not industrious enough to prepare for years of joblessness, or even for a few months of it. That's just the way it is. That's the reality, regardless of your ideals. But you honestly say that you don't care, and there's no arguing that. We just disagree.
    Do not write in this space!

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Unemployment benefits: who's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    A Christmas present comes early.

    And if you bothered to think about it, the content is clear and unmistakable. I discuss real world events as they happened and your response is to tell me what the Econ 101 textbook says about the theory of the matter. That is real content. It is simply content that you do not like or approve of.

    You see Ph. I think theory is crap. In fact, crap has a real pragmatic function as fertilizer for the garden. Theory and all that abstract philosophy that gussies it up is worth less than crap. Give me real world pragmatics every day of the week. My days of being a sophomore in college staying up half the night on too much caffeine discussing 'what is Truth' are long gone and I wish I had those wasted hours back to really put to use.
    Stop NOW. Your posts are void of substance only because you have nothing to say. That could be for a few reasons, you're clueless, you're a jerk or you're a troll. Whichever it is I also have no interest in you any longer. Just think now two more people are ignoring you. Good times.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •