View Poll Results: Do you believe in American exceptionalism?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. America is truly exceptional.

    18 27.69%
  • America is better than most countries.

    7 10.77%
  • America is better than some and worse than others.

    17 26.15%
  • America isn't exceptional.

    15 23.08%
  • Other/not sure (explain)

    8 12.31%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 89 of 89

Thread: American Exceptionalism

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    America isn't exceptional in the world. Many nations now have similar, and in many cases better rights. Average income, income equality, freedom of the press, defense spending are all better in other places. Why is America cool? Well for one they've been quite stringent in their defense of free speech (although the whole Wikileaks controversy makes me doubt this seriously), the people are nice, it's a large country, has nice scenery, etc. I like it.

    In the foreign policy sense I couldn't disagree more with American Exceptionalism.

  2. #82
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Illinois
    Last Seen
    12-25-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    232
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    And it is destroying us. All these fine ultra-conservatives can't seem to remember that whole "meek inheriting the earth" thing. Jesus Christ himself never made such claims, obviously knowing that pride commeth before the fall.
    I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic. - Abigail Adams

  3. #83
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Illinois
    Last Seen
    12-25-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    232
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    America was once exceptional because of the fact that virtually all of the euro peon immigrants to America came in opposition to some form of authority. That characteristic distinguished Americans from others. It tied into the frontier experience where govt. was mostly absent.

    Those people believed in all the component elements of individual liberty and personal freedom.

    But most of those people are gone now. They have been replaced by people who idolize paternalism.

    Obama's America isn't worth spit.
    Really? What rights have you lost in the past 2 years? Hell, most of you aren't even willing to pay for your own wars or debt - much less civil society and infrastructure that benefits us all. So please tell me what freedoms you have lost? I would be interested to know. And no, you are not paying more taxes. This is the lowest they have been since 1950. Your policies just added $900 billion to the deficit. So I would argue YOU are destroying our freedoms, since that money needs to be borrowed from China and the middle east oil producers, tightening the noose a little more.
    I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic. - Abigail Adams

  4. #84
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Do you believe in American exceptionalism?
    Not anymore. We've gone from a once great nation of independent-minded rugged individuals to a nation of crybaby dependent sheep in the span of 100 years. If it's exceptional, it's certainly not in a positive way.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Not anymore. We've gone from a once great nation of independent-minded rugged individuals to a nation of crybaby dependent sheep in the span of 100 years. If it's exceptional, it's certainly not in a positive way.
    American exceptionalism doesn't claim that America is better than other nations because of nice free speech, internet in most homes, etc, it claims America is better from an objective standpoint. It was traditionally tied in a lot with the puritan society of the 18th century, being the first republic, etc. In some cases it almost suggests that America has exclusive divine right...

    Then again, it can be as mild as thinking America is a nice place to live. It really depends in which context it's used.
    Last edited by SirPwn4lot; 12-08-10 at 03:20 PM.

  6. #86
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Di Salvo View Post
    America was once exceptional because of the fact that virtually all of the euro peon immigrants to America came in opposition to some form of authority. That characteristic distinguished Americans from others. It tied into the frontier experience where govt. was mostly absent.

    Those people believed in all the component elements of individual liberty and personal freedom.

    But most of those people are gone now. They have been replaced by people who idolize paternalism.

    Obama's America isn't worth spit.
    It isn't President Obama's America, whatever it is, good or bad, it has been created by the people who live there. By their standards and by the things they value and want.

    And if you read a little history you will find your frontiersmen believed in the component elements of individual wealth, personal power, violence and the sort of 'justice' which came from the barrel of a gun. Those characteristics certainly distinguished pioneer Americans from the people of civilised societies.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  7. #87
    Student
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North Central Illinois
    Last Seen
    12-25-10 @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    232
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    It isn't President Obama's America, whatever it is, good or bad, it has been created by the people who live there. By their standards and by the things they value and want.

    And if you read a little history you will find your frontiersmen believed in the component elements of individual wealth, personal power, violence and the sort of 'justice' which came from the barrel of a gun. Those characteristics certainly distinguished pioneer Americans from the people of civilised societies.
    Lol... They want something that never existed in the first place. Those westerns of yore weren't known for their historical accuracy. And most of those fine men and women had fleas. And couldn't bathe regularly. And about half the kids never saw their 5th birthday. Many mothers died in child birth. People died by the thousands in flu epidemics and heat waves.

    Na, I'm stickin' with this one.
    I've always felt that a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting points of view he can entertain simultaneously on the same topic. - Abigail Adams

  8. #88
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev316 View Post
    Lol... They want something that never existed in the first place. Those westerns of yore weren't known for their historical accuracy. And most of those fine men and women had fleas. And couldn't bathe regularly. And about half the kids never saw their 5th birthday. Many mothers died in child birth. People died by the thousands in flu epidemics and heat waves.

    Na, I'm stickin' with this one.
    LOL! Sir has made a wise choice.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London, England and Dijon, France
    Last Seen
    03-06-11 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    598

    Re: American Exceptionalism

    Quote Originally Posted by SirPwn4lot View Post
    America isn't exceptional in the world. Many nations now have similar, and in many cases better rights. Average income, income equality, freedom of the press, defense spending are all better in other places. Why is America cool? Well for one they've been quite stringent in their defense of free speech (although the whole Wikileaks controversy makes me doubt this seriously), the people are nice, it's a large country, has nice scenery, etc. I like it.

    In the foreign policy sense I couldn't disagree more with American Exceptionalism.
    ^^^^^^

    This.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •