View Poll Results: How would you vote on the compromise as described in the OP?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    4 6.90%
  • Against

    50 86.21%
  • Rabbit

    4 6.90%
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 405

Thread: Would you vote for the compromise?

  1. #311
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The Pledge of Allegiance?!?!?! You mean that socialist piece of statism?!?!?!?!?
    Yeah, the same one local, state and Federal governments still recite themselves here in the U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    btw - the "under God" part was added a half century after it was written.
    And ... ? Are you inferring all change is bad or just wording changes about God you don't agree with?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #312
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The Pledge of Allegiance?!?!?! You mean that socialist piece of statism?!?!?!?!?

    btw - the "under God" part was added a half century after it was written.
    and???????
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #313
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and???????
    and ...

    it means nothing to a discussion of stripping tens of millions of American citizens of their right to vote.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #314
    Educator hallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Last Seen
    10-23-15 @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    620

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    There is no discrimination against children as the vote is something that has always been set aside in our nation for adults. For you to keep bringing up that point is simply silly and pointless. As for felons, some states make the determination that when a person is convicted in a court of law of committing a serious crime against their fellow citizens , they forfeit the vote. Personally, I believe that once you pay your debt to society, you should be able to vote again. But that is neither here not there. The fact is that the people you want to disenfranchise have not been convicted of anything or committed any crime or offense against the people of this land. They are good and decent people who are members of their community but you simply want to stack the deck in favor of the Republicans so you support this bogus idea to strip the franchise from tens of millions of decent citizens.
    And nothing here removes that we have current limitations on voting therefore negating the one man one vote concept.

  5. #315
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    And nothing here removes that we have current limitations on voting therefore negating the one man one vote concept.
    You want to translate that for me please as it makes no sense to me.

    The Supreme Court of the USA says that the one man one vote principle guides them. You claim it does not exist. I feel like the Beaver in that old sitcom... "gee whiz Wally, do I believe Eddy Haskel or do I believe the US Supreme Court when they talk about the law?"

    The fact that your own particular self imposed set of ideological beliefs does not accept one many one vote does absolutely nothing to negate it as an accepted legal principle accepted by the US Supreme Court. The last time I looked, their opinion on this issue counted for something. Yours on the other hand, is just yours.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #316
    Educator hallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Last Seen
    10-23-15 @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    620

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    You want to translate that for me please as it makes no sense to me.

    The Supreme Court of the USA says that the one man one vote principle guides them. You claim it does not exist. I feel like the Beaver in that old sitcom... "gee whiz Wally, do I believe Eddy Haskel or do I believe the US Supreme Court when they talk about the law?"

    The fact that your own particular self imposed set of ideological beliefs does not accept one many one vote does absolutely nothing to negate it as an accepted legal principle accepted by the US Supreme Court. The last time I looked, their opinion on this issue counted for something. Yours on the other hand, is just yours.
    SCOTUS can say that but, until they remove the age restrictions and the felon restrictions, they are talking out their asses. I am sorry but kids and felons are citizens too. A person's citizenship isn't removed by going into a jail or by not being 18 years old. These are restrictions on voting and arbitrary restrictions at that. So as long as these restrictions exist SCOTUS just isn't adding the caveats to their statements. Those caveats, those restrictions still exist.

  7. #317
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    valid point.

    here's a question for you one man/one vote people

    why does some dirtbag welfare bum deserve the "right" to vote but a 17 year old kid who is working a full time job to help support his/her family does not?

    why does willy the wino get the right to vote but 17 y/o PFC Joe Snuffy fighting in Afghanistan doesn't?
    Last edited by OscarB63; 12-01-10 at 01:13 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #318
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    What you are attempting to do is to take something which is not part of the equation in any way, shape or form - children - and use it to validate your idea that we can restrict the right to vote in adults. Sorry, it does not make sense in any way since voting is an adult function in our society.

    Again, you fail to understand the difference between your opinion and the opinion of the Supreme Court of the USA. Your opinion is only your opinion and no force of law on anyone in any way in any shape or form. The Supreme Court issues an opinion and it has the force of law behind it. You can talk with all the cerebral brain power you can muster and you might be a genius but the opinion that results is still impotent and worthless as far as making it more than just your opinion. And if your comparison is correct, and the SC is indeed talking of of their asses, the product which comes out has the force of law upon the nation.

    In other words - and let me say this both as bluntly and as politely as possible: on the subject of one person one vote and the rights of American citizens to vote in this country- your opinion compared to the opinion of the Supreme Court means nothing.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #319
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,811

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    valid point.

    here's a question for you one man/one vote people

    why does some dirtbag welfare bum deserve the "right" to vote but a 17 year old kid who is working a full time job to help support his/her family does not?

    why does willy the wino get the right to vote but 17 y/o PFC Joe Snuffy fighting in Afghanistan doesn't?
    Because we as a people in a nation operating as a democratic republic have made that collective decision.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #320
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Because we as a people in a nation operating as a democratic republic have made that collective decision.
    so, by your own logic, if we as a people in a nation operating as a democratic republic decided that you had to earn the right to vote by paying taxes or serving in the military or some other means you would support that decision.

    thanks for clearing that up... the people have spoken.


    funny how that arguement didn't hold any water when the people of Califiornia voted against gay marriage.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •