View Poll Results: How would you vote on the compromise as described in the OP?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    4 6.90%
  • Against

    50 86.21%
  • Rabbit

    4 6.90%
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 405

Thread: Would you vote for the compromise?

  1. #271
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    I have been very clear there there may be other ways to support the government.
    No you haven't. You have consistently dismissed that point.

    That there are other ways to support the government does not limit us here when discussing this way to support the government. You think this conversation is limited, it isn't. You are wrong. We can dissect support and discuss them individually. Your confusion here is that we can't. The fact that you havent' even suggested other ways to support the government is telling. Your further confusion is that just because there are other ways to support the government makes this definition wrong. This is a logical fallacy. Just because there are other ways to support the government doesn't negate adding this definition.
    This conversation is only limited because of your presentation. I'm not the one presenting only one option. That's you. This is your logical fallacy of the false premise. And yes, since contrabution is not limited to only tax, your definition is incorrect. It is too narrow as we are discussing a broader issue. The definition is only part of the whole. It mirrors what you are doing in the debate. You are narrowing the definition because the other parts don't support your argument... you are trying to disenfranchise certain members of the population because they don't support your polices. You feign that it's about equity, but it's all about eliminating competition.

    Now you are relying on shifting the burden fallacy so that you don't actually have to present a counter argument. You have completely failed on all counts. You have further failed to understand what fascism is or means. So I am glad you have stopped debating me because your arguments are illogical, fallacious silliness that have no merit and doesn't stand up to review. Instead of you actually debating me, which you haven't by the way, you have have just called this fascist erroneously and produced excuse after excuse as to why current arbitrary limits on voting are okay but this limit on voting is not. You have stated citizenship equals the right to vote. Well guess what, it doesn't. We limit rights on voting all the time. This is just one more that say if you are taxed you get representation, if you are not, you don't get representation at the same level. No citizen has their rights stripped from them anyway as all citizens still get to vote.
    You have failed to present any kind of logical argument at all. Thus far, everything you've presented has been based on a false premise. An illogical beginning means that anything that stems from it is invalid or at least is not proven because of it. The only other thing you've attempted, completely unsuccessfully btw, is to project the lack of logic and failures of your position onto me. What you fail to understand... along with the fact that your entire position is based on a false premise, is that when you limit voting on an arbitrary factor based on elitism, you head towards fascism. This is what you are proposing, and it is completely silly to pretent that no one's rights are being taken away. That's just dishonest.

    The fact is you don't have a logical counter argument. You only have an emotional one.
    Not at all. The fact is that you don't have a logical argument to begin with. When you do, I'll be happy to debate it. Until that happens, I'll just keep pointing out how your position has no logic behind it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #272
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    In this case "extreme right wing" refers to folks like you who invent crap categories in a blatant attempt to destroy the right to vote of millions of American citizens.
    why are you so against a flat tax or making everyone contriubte to the income tax revenue?



  3. #273
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    agreed. i think we all would say that most cops probably contribute more to society than would be reflected by their pay, and ditto for enlisted members of our military, firemen, charity organizers, and so forth.

    but we aren't talking about 'contributing to society'; we are talking about "what shall our government do"; and the need there is to structure the decision-making so that those who will be determining that question are also those most likely to be seeking to make informed and responsible decisions. you are attempting (not on purpose, i think) a strawman diversion here.
    And who do you believe are those who are most likely to make informed and responsible decisions?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #274
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    People contribute to society in many different ways. I refuse to allow one narrow definition to decide what or what is not a contribution to America and its people.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #275
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    more drama queen nonsense. "extreme right wing" means anyone who doesn't buy into the "from each according to their ability crap"?

    When you libs support a tax method that prevents the many from being bought with the wealth of the most taxed group then you won't ever hear me suggesting that those who don't pay shouldn't play. but right now you think its fine for say 51% of the country to vote for those who promise them the wealth of the other 49%.
    So you're saying that you are presenting an extreme position out of anger and lack of fairness?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #276
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    People contribute to society in many different ways. I refuse to allow one narrow definition to decide what or what is not a contribution to America and its people.
    This is what I've been saying for pages.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #277
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    So you're saying that you are presenting an extreme position out of anger and lack of fairness?
    I don't get angry here. this board is nothing more than entertainment to me. You cannot do the job I have if you get angry over something like this board.

    its not an extreme position-its consistent with the founders' desires but its mainly an alternative to my preferred solution-a tax code where the many cannot vote up-endlessly-the rates of others based on promises made to them by greedy politicians

    and I would bet that a nation wide poll of those who actually pay federal income taxes would find a great deal more support for limiting voting to federal income tax payers than is exhibited on this board



  8. #278
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And who do you believe are those who are most likely to make informed and responsible decisions?
    those who have incentive to do so. as pointed out earlier; those with 'skin in the game'

  9. #279
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,832

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't get angry here. this board is nothing more than entertainment to me. You cannot do the job I have if you get angry over something like this board.

    its not an extreme position-its consistent with the founders' desires but its mainly an alternative to my preferred solution-a tax code where the many cannot vote up-endlessly-the rates of others based on promises made to them by greedy politicians

    and I would bet that a nation wide poll of those who actually pay federal income taxes would find a great deal more support for limiting voting to federal income tax payers than is exhibited on this board
    Let me get this straight: you are suggesting if we took a poll of only those who are baseball fans and live in New York City that the Yankees would come out as the favorite team?

    And I disagree with you again in this regard. I am one of those people you would proudly call a net taxpayer. And I oppose it completely.

    But it has been suggested to you before, if you believe as you do that there would be support for this, by all means campaign for it. Get Republicans of prominence and start talking this up and get it to the campaign trail. The American people will give it a hearing and pronouncet judgment upon both it and those who advocate it.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #280
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Turtledude apparently hates the United States, hates why it was created, and wants to find reasons to not allow people to vote so that the system can be one sided.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •