View Poll Results: How would you vote on the compromise as described in the OP?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

    4 6.90%
  • Against

    50 86.21%
  • Rabbit

    4 6.90%
Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 405

Thread: Would you vote for the compromise?

  1. #141
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ancedotal evidence doesn't really cut it but those people tend to be tax payers.
    wow...he gives the results of a study and you call it ancedotal? Remind me to do the same next time you post the results of a study in one of your posts ok?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  2. #142
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Am I supposed to be convinced by this silliness? Seriously, we can't do this because people will quit their jobs.....oh the chaos. This is so irrational and so unsupported that I frankly have no idea what you are talking about. Btw way that waitress will still work because this doesn't take away her rights. That waitress will still work because bills still exist. Further, it is complete shenanigans to think it takes a collage education to become a net taxpayer.

    this is nothing but pseudo-intellectual BS.... /sarcasm I look down on the poor when I have made statements that the poor can be net taxpayers too. When I have made statements that the rich will be more effected by this with the current tax structure.

    Seriously, you and haymarket really should check yourselves out of the 80 sterotypes.
    And just how can someone making minimum wage meet your requirement of "net tax payer contributer"?

    And no it is not "sillyness" or any of the other things that you called it. Do you seriously think that people will want to do jobs that will not pay enough to allow them to vote? What about that gal that I posted a link to about that helps with charities a few pages ago? She works at a restaurant 2 days a week, goes to school full time and still helps with Meals on Wheels and helps children learn to read. Do you think that she would be able to do all that plus make your requirement? As far as bills go what about people that live with their folks and have no bills? Yet do charity work?

    And since you admit that you have no idea what I am talking about how can you call it sillyness?

    And btw, I never said that she wouldn't work. I just said that she will not even bother to become a waitress but will instead try to get a job that actually makes her a net taxpayer. A waitress job will not do that. And if you think that it does then you have NO idea what it means to subsist on minimum wage.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #143
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    are children not citizens?
    Sure they are. However children have slightly different basic rights from an adult. For valid reasons. Which I am sure that you are aware of and hence already know how lame using children in your argument is.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #144
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,779

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    wow...he gives the results of a study and you call it ancedotal? Remind me to do the same next time you post the results of a study in one of your posts ok?
    those people aren't tax payers?



  5. #145
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,779

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Sure they are. However children have slightly different basic rights from an adult. For valid reasons. Which I am sure that you are aware of and hence already know how lame using children in your argument is.
    I find it just as lame to suggest that people who don't contribute income taxes have say in income tax rates

    in either case its a question of responsibility



  6. #146
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And just how can someone making minimum wage meet your requirement of "net tax payer contributer"?
    they probably can't; which is why if we are going to impose some kind of system as this we need to offer them the option to become so.

  7. #147
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I find it just as lame to suggest that people who don't contribute income taxes have say in income tax rates

    in either case its a question of responsibility
    You want to talk of responsibility and yet you want to strip people of the right to vote? Seriously?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #148
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    they probably can't; which is why if we are going to impose some kind of system as this we need to offer them the option to become so.
    Thank god at least you recognize this. Now, what option would that be? We'll get to the more obvious questions later after you answer.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #149
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    post #138:

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill
    1. get rid of tax witholding and have tax day and election day on the same day. currently they are about as far apart in the year as they can get. this is not a coincidence.

    2. allow those who qualify not to be net taxpayers two options: 1. they can either take the tax code with all of the holes, and options, and end up getting back more than they paid in (in which case they forgoe the franchise for that year) OR 2. they can simply pay the percent of their income that they owe, with no deductions, and then go vote. That way, even the poor are offered the option to exercise the franchise, so long as they prove willing to bear the costs of governance along with everyone else.

    3. make this day a federal holiday so that the people can go about their business. it's already a shame that election day isn't; and surely tilts the scales away from those whose employment makes getting to the polls on time more difficult.

    taxation and voting are therefore linked; both of them a of the patriotic duty of those citizens who choose to take part in running this great nation. those who wish to avoid the responsibility that comes with power, are free to do so.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,074

    Re: Would you vote for the compromise?

    We have fallen down the right wing rabbit hole and are fast approaching the bottom. And what is at the bottom for us? The Brave New World of folks like Turtle and Hallam where they intentionally come up with a fraudulent scheme to disenfranchise tens of millions of minority persons for the sole purpose of installing their own right wing allies in positions of political power.

    People who support this sort of extremism should go to the Holocaust Memorial in Washington DC. One of the first rooms there is an exhibit of far right propaganda which was designed to set the stage for what was to come later. Right wing propaganda designed to teach that there was a difference in some citizens and others who were less than full citizens. Right wing propaganda designed to change the thinking so that the reader began accepting in his mind that you could take away rights from some people because they were actually less a full person that they were. Right wing propaganda that set the stage for taking away of peoples rights.

    That is what something like this scheme has as its motivation. Right wing extremists in this land have read the census projections and have read voting trends. They know that American is becoming less White and more minority. And what scares them to death is the knowledge that such persons tend to vote Democratic. So they are frightened that they will not be able to outvote their enemies in a decade or two. The answer to their problems - make sure they can't vote. Thus we get this inane net taxpayer bull and the idea that we are going to connect voting with paying of income taxes.

    Recognize this for what it is and recognize those who are pushing it for who they are. This is nothing to be polite about. This is nothing to be soft spoken about. This is something that should scare the living daylights out of all people who believe that every citizen should enjoy the rights that are now contained in the US Constitution.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •