View Poll Results: Does defense justify genocide?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    7 53.85%
  • No.

    2 15.38%
  • No.

    2 15.38%
  • No.

    2 15.38%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Does defense justify genocide?

  1. #31
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Can we vote to have this poll removed from the poll section since it is not even a real or valid poll?
    If the OP would ask a mod to change the poll options...

    Perhaps:
    1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. It depends (Explain).
    4. Other (Explain).
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #32
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    LOL Sounds like Bush "If you're not for us you're against us"
    yup. that's the way this war works. doesn't mean that it's nice; just means that it is.

  3. #33
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Here is the thing the original OP has to understand; as human beings it is much easier and because it is easier typically more satisfying for us to destroy than create. We are incredibly violent by nature and we all say we would do this or do that or would support this or that but a lot of times when it would come down to actually doing it ourselves we wouldn't be able to do one or the other thing. Does that make sense?

    I digress however, essentially what I am saying is we are all assholes it's just a matter of if you want to pucker up or not.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    If the OP would ask a mod to change the poll options...

    Perhaps:
    1. Yes.
    2. No.
    3. It depends (Explain).
    4. Other (Explain).
    That would be fine.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    One of my moral principles is that if its wrong for someone else it's wrong for us. So no. Not that that's ever stopped US support of murderous incursions by other governments (although not necessarily genocidal).

  6. #36
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yup. that's the way this war works. doesn't mean that it's nice; just means that it is.
    The only people against you are the ones actually fighting you - most countries are Neutral when it comes to many issues that go on.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #37
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    yup. that's the way this war works. doesn't mean that it's nice; just means that it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    The only people against you are the ones actually fighting you - most countries are Neutral when it comes to many issues that go on.
    I think we need to keep in mind here that the war on terror is an analogy and not a literal war. Like the war on crime and the war on drugs.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 12-08-10 at 10:34 AM.

  8. #38
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,502

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I think we need to keep in mind here that the war on terror is an analogy and not a literal war. Like the war on crime and the war on drugs.
    Yes, perfectly illustrated by the non-involvement of the military. Those are all allegorical Predators Obama is launching missiles from, aimed at al Qaeda camps.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #39
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yes, perfectly illustrated by the non-involvement of the military. Those are all allegorical Predators Obama is launching missiles from, aimed at al Qaeda camps.
    Military involvement alone does not mean it is a war. And we aren't talking about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, we're talking about the "war on terror," which encompasses much more than the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters. Al Qaeda is not an entity that we are at war with, that was Bush's entire argument behind denying them due process. If we were literally at war with Al Qaeda then they would be entitled to protection under the Geneva convention. So be careful what you wish for.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 12-08-10 at 12:33 PM.

  10. #40
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,502

    Re: Does defense justify genocide?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Military involvement alone does not mean it is a war.
    I suppose all the people killed with bombs and guns are "analogies," too.


    And we aren't talking about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, we're talking about the "war on terror," which encompasses much more than the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters.
    I see. You simply ignore Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen, Pakistan, and everywhere else things are exploding simply because it detracts from your idiotic premise.

    Gosh, I guess any war where non-military things are happening alongside isn't actually a war. Which means, of course, there are no real wars.


    Al Qaeda is not an entity that we are at war with,
    Because YOU say so? They sure seem to think so, Bush always said so, and so did Congress in 2002 when they authorized the military operations.


    that was Bush's entire argument behind denying them due process.
    This only shows you have no idea what "due process" means, or what the legal ramifications of war are. If you think claiming not to be at war means you get to deny "due process," you're entirely clueless (surprise!).


    If we were literally at war with Al Qaeda then they would be entitled to protection under the Geneva convention.
    If they comport themselves by the standards of the Geneva Conventions, sure.

    This is stupid, anyway, because you're implying that if they were considered prisoners of war by the Geneva Conventions, they'd be entitled to some kind of "due process," apparently meaning trials or something along those lines. Which is, of course, the height of ignorance. Prisoners of war don't get to challenge their detention. And they don't get released until hostilities cease.


    So be careful what you wish for.
    And what is it that you think I "wish for"?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •