View Poll Results: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    22 78.57%
  • No

    2 7.14%
  • Someone School Me

    3 10.71%
  • Other/Explain

    2 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 174

Thread: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

  1. #161
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    People moving back in is not going to magically create wealth or reverse the various problems that have resulted.
    But it could help. If white people and their money leaving was the cause of all their problems, white people and their money returning should have some effect.

    Why are you so opposed to living in Bushwick? Don't hate, bro.

    Were I actually living anywhere near New York City it would still mean nothing. You are not going to improve the situation of the black community by getting white people to move back.
    Fine, you don't want to move to NY. I guess I can understand that. Why not move into whatever impoverished neighborhood is closest to you? Don't give me that "it won't help" bull****, as you know that's not true. Anyone that brings in new money and is a positive contributor to the community (as I'm sure you are) would be a help.

    Ethnic enclaves often form naturally for a variety of reasons. Those neighborhoods are dominated by a specific ethnic group due to something other than white flight.
    Explain how all those other enclaves formed for natural reasons while black enclaves formed because of white flight.
    Explain how the formation of those other enclaves allowed them to prosper, while the formation of black enclaves resulted in ghettos.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #162
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,378

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    American slavery was unique in that the discrimination that came as a result continued after it had been abolished and even after blacks were supposedly granted citizenship.
    Are you saying that in the rest of the world (all of which had slavery in the past), prejudice has been eliminated? There is no racism in the world except in the US? The US is in no way unique in having pejudicial attitudes persist (in the wake of insitutionalized discrimination) today. The idea that the US is unique in discrimination resulting from past policy is completely detached from reality.

    Your 'everybody did it' excuse is simply ridiculous.
    It's not "an excuse", it is a call for intellectual honesty. To condemn the US for slavery and ignore that it occured everywhere in the world at the time is weak sauce. It's like saying "The Jews are worse than Hitler because of what Joshua did!" - it ignores chronological context; it borders on intellectually criminal.



    Let us discuss slavery and its impacts across decades and centuries after its abolishment; however, let's not tard-out and pretend that the US is unique among the world in this regard. It belittles the subject to pigeonhole it as a US problem either in its doing or undoing. You are allowing anti-Americanism to obstruct an important problem that plagues all of the world today, and that's not really cool.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 11-28-10 at 03:19 AM.

  3. #163
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    But it could help. If white people and their money leaving was the cause of all their problems, white people and their money returning should have some effect.

    Why are you so opposed to living in Bushwick? Don't hate, bro.
    I doubt me going there would be of any help. After all, there are white people still living in these neighborhoods they are just in the same ****ty situation.

    Explain how all those other enclaves formed for natural reasons while black enclaves formed because of white flight.
    Those areas formed because people moved near to people they know or who they will have the least trouble understanding. In other words, recent Russian immigrants who may not be great with English are more likely to move in where there are fellow Russians who speak the same language. With Jews there are other factors like the proximity to religious institutions, not to mention they tend to keep marriage within the community. However, with black people it was due to the people who were living there leaving due to racist attitudes towards blacks.

    Explain how the formation of those other enclaves allowed them to prosper, while the formation of black enclaves resulted in ghettos.
    The formation of those enclaves is not what allowed them to prosper, but, like Hatuey said, the fewer obstacles to their economic success imposed by society.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  4. #164
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon of Light View Post
    I doubt me going there would be of any help. After all, there are white people still living in these neighborhoods they are just in the same ****ty situation.
    Which is why they need educated and caring people like you.

    Those areas formed because people moved near to people they know or who they will have the least trouble understanding. In other words, recent Russian immigrants who may not be great with English are more likely to move in where there are fellow Russians who speak the same language. With Jews there are other factors like the proximity to religious institutions, not to mention they tend to keep marriage within the community. However, with black people it was due to the people who were living there leaving due to racist attitudes towards blacks.
    Got any evidence to support the claim that it was benign for everyone else but racist for blacks?

    The formation of those enclaves is not what allowed them to prosper, but, like Hatuey said, the fewer obstacles to their economic success imposed by society.
    Explain the obstacles to success that blacks faced that were faced by no one else.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #165
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Explain the obstacles to success that blacks faced that were faced by no one else.
    The OP has it wrong. Slavery and repression in the 1800's probably do not contribute a large part to the troubles faced by blacks in the labor market. More largely women, and minorities are those who are faced with underrepresentation and lower wages in the labor markets most likely because of stereotypes that are present within our society. I suppose slavery could have contributed to this stereotype for blacks, but so could have many other things.

  6. #166
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Do you understand repression and the effects that slavery brought that still exist in the U.S.A. today?

    This is my first poll up here and sorry if belongs somewhere else and I did screw it up. lol.
    i understand repression within a limited degree.

    as to the 'effects of slavery that exist today in the US'; no, i really don't see that many. i do see it as an excuse, bandied about. if you want a major socio-governmental fixture that is responsible for the 'plight' of African Americans today (really - are any significant portion of Americans in a 'plight'? how weak and spoiled we have become); that would be the Great Society.
    Last edited by cpwill; 11-28-10 at 11:56 PM.

  7. #167
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Explain the obstacles to success that blacks faced that were faced by no one else.
    i would particularly be interested in seeing if he has any clue as to the history of irish in this nation, or chinese.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Being black, I don't make excuses and blame racism for my shortcomings.

    If you make groups that focus on race, like the Black Panthers, hate will continue. Those groups, primarily the Black Panthers and La Raza, must be stopped, as well as the KKK, even though that group is the only one restricted by our government. To me, the government has it wrong; it is being "overly equal," thus causing racism, hypocrisy, and hatred to continue on all sides.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,779

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Being black, I don't make excuses and blame racism for my shortcomings.

    If you make groups that focus on race, like the Black Panthers, hate will continue. Those groups, primarily the Black Panthers and La Raza, must be stopped, as well as the KKK, even though that group is the only one restricted by our government. To me, the government has it wrong; it is being "overly equal," thus causing racism, hypocrisy, and hatred to continue on all sides.
    I don't think it's necessarily the groups but the individuals who can only see things in terms of race. There are far too many blacks who can't see beyond skin color. No matter what happens to them, it's got to be because they're black. There can't be any other explanation. They're the ones who perpetuate racist stereotypes because that's all that matters to them. Most whites don't give a damn what someone's skin color is. Sorry, but sometimes, you're not being discriminated against because you're black, you're being discriminated against because you're a douche.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Last Seen
    10-15-12 @ 02:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    523

    Re: Do You Understand Repression & After Effects of Slavery

    This is like asking someone if they think their political opinions are well founded...

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •