View Poll Results: do you agree with this ruling

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    14 73.68%
  • no

    4 21.05%
  • other

    1 5.26%
  • rootabega

    0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

  1. #41
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    That's a beauty. Maybe they didn't have the these suckers on standby that day?
    I think the problem was more that they couldn't lift her into it.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  2. #42
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I think the problem was more that they couldn't lift her into it.
    bingo. have you ever tried to lift 400 pounds of dead weight? especially soft pliable dead weight with no handholds. I doubt that even 4-5 strong guys could've lifted her.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #43
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I think the problem was more that they couldn't lift her into it.
    Yeah, I saw that mentioned earlier. Either way, her death was a result of circumstances beyond anyone's control.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    bingo. have you ever tried to lift 400 pounds of dead weight? especially soft pliable dead weight with no handholds. I doubt that even 4-5 strong guys could've lifted her.
    That's what fire is for. Plus it would prevent her from coming back as a zombie.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #45
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    as usual, you don't understand what I said. I never said "it was her fault". her actions, in this particular case, lead up to her death because they prevented her from getting prompt medical attention.

    It seems that your biggest complaint is that this guy wasn't "treated like everyone else". what we are trying to get across to you is that he was. in every case, ALL the circumstances surrounding it are taken into account. this case is no different. the fact that you don't agree with the outcome is irrelevent. He was treated just like anyone else.
    i believe the op asked if we agreed or disagreed? i disagree. doesn't mean i am right, nor does it mean you are right. but, as usual, you seem to think your opinion is the only valid opinion.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #46
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i believe the op asked if we agreed or disagreed? i disagree. doesn't mean i am right, nor does it mean you are right. but, as usual, you seem to think your opinion is the only valid opinion.
    no, I also think that Ikari, Arcana XV, other, rev, etc have valid opinions. it is only your opinion, in this case, that I think is invalid.

    but feel free to continue to misrepresent my POV, if it makes you feel better.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #47
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    I had to vote "other," because I'm a pain in the ass like that.

    I'm glad the guy isn't going to jail. As a matter of fact, I don't think he should have a criminal record at all.

    I don't think the woman's weight should've had anything to do with that, however. My feeling is that this should have been a civil suit, brought either by the government or by the woman's surviving family.

    Criminal charges should be reserved exclusively for those with evil intent or who exhibit depraved indifference. I don't this guy falls into either category.

    If the victim had been slim and old, would we have held him less responsible because the victim was frail? The victim's physical condition should not, in my mind, play any part in deciding the level of responsibility for injury to the victim.

    If he'd hit her way out in the boonies, the result would've been the same, and his level of responsibility would've been the same.



    Please note that I am making my remarks with no consideration whatsoever for how the legal system works in Scotland or anywhere else in Europe. This post is based entirely on my personal opinion on how the presence of either mens rea or depraved indifference should be the absolute bedrock basis for any criminal charge.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    I canot rationalize it... but I agree.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •