View Poll Results: do you agree with this ruling

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    14 73.68%
  • no

    4 21.05%
  • other

    1 5.26%
  • rootabega

    0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

  1. #11
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    according to the article, if she had been "normal" she probably would not have died. her immense fatness not only contributed to the severity of her injuries, it prevented her from being transported to a hospital in a timely manner. therefore, if she had been of normal weight/girth not only would she have not been as severely injured, it would not have taken them 4 hours to get her to hospital.
    probably does NOT count. if a man ran someone over and they died, what would he be charged with? that's the question, and that's the only fair way to look at this.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    In US courts, criminals must "take people as they find them." Someone guilty of negligent homicide could not, for example, say, "Well, if she hadn't been 80 years old, she'd have survived."

    But in this case, I'm reading between the lines and assuming that her injuries were likely not fatal. She died of her injuries only because it took four hours to get her in-hospital medical care. 29 stone is the equivalent of 406 pounds. (Actually, it's hard to believe they couldn't transport her in an ambulance.

    He was fined the equivalent of $8,000. What purpose would it serve if he was incarcerated? Here in the States, that finding would then translate to next-of-kin being able to file a civil suit -- and win.

    Justice served.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #13
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In US courts, criminals must "take people as they find them." Someone guilty of negligent homicide could not, for example, say, "Well, if she hadn't been 80 years old, she'd have survived."

    But in this case, I'm reading between the lines and assuming that her injuries were likely not fatal. She died of her injuries only because it took four hours to get her in-hospital medical care. 29 stone is the equivalent of 406 pounds. (Actually, it's hard to believe they couldn't transport her in an ambulance.

    He was fined the equivalent of $8,000. What purpose would it serve if he was incarcerated? Here in the States, that finding would then translate to next-of-kin being able to file a civil suit -- and win.

    Justice served.
    as i said, it doesn't matter. had he not hit her, she would not have died. he should be charged as such.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  4. #14
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    as i said, it doesn't matter. had he not hit her, she would not have died. he should be charged as such.
    He was charged as such. And he was found guilty. We're discussing punishment here, not whether or not he was convicted.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 11-19-10 at 11:06 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #15
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    He was charged as such. And he was found guilty. We're discussing punishment here, not whether or not he was convicted.
    and my point is that he should receive the same punishment as anyone else who killed a person. if he struck an old lady with a bad heart would you say the same thing?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #16
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    probably does NOT count. if a man ran someone over and they died, what would he be charged with? that's the question, and that's the only fair way to look at this.
    it would depend on the circumstances surrounding how/why he ran them over. in this case...everyone involved said it was an....wait for it.........accident. she died because it took them 4 hours to get her to hospital. it took them 4 hours to get her to hospital because she was too damn fat to fit in a normal ambulance or helo.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #17
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I say no. The victim's weight is irrelevant to the fact someone crashed into her due to negligence. Because as liblady said the same argument for a reduction in sentence could be made if the victim was old, a female a child or some other excuse they could find to reduce the sentence. Unless they are using mini-coopers or some other Euro-trash clown car as ambulances it should not be that hard to fit a four hundred pound woman in that thing. Giving the offender a lesser sentence because the victim was fact is like saying the rapist should get a lesser sentence because the victim dressed like a slut or did not fight off her attacker.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 11-19-10 at 11:29 AM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #18
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    and my point is that he should receive the same punishment as anyone else who killed a person. if he struck an old lady with a bad heart would you say the same thing?
    Not sure how it is in Scotland, but in the U.S., we have sentencing guidelines....a minimum to a maximum depending upon extenuating circumstances. There is no "same sentence as anyone else." All circumstances are different -- within guidelines.

    Example of sentencing guidelines from Wisconsin:

    For a Class F Felony, the penalty is a fine of up to $25,000, or imprisonment of up to 12-1/2 years, or both; however, for a repeat offender, the term of imprisonment may increase up to 2 years with prior misdemeanor convictions, and up to 6 years with a prior felony conviction.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 11-19-10 at 11:31 AM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #19
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Not sure how it is in Scotland, but in the U.S., we have sentencing guidelines....a minimum to a maximum depending upon extenuating circumstances. There is no "same sentence as anyone else." All circumstances are different -- within guidelines.
    i don't think a lighter sentence was warranted. had the victim been an infant would you think the same way?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #20
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: lighter sentence because the lady was fat

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i don't think a lighter sentence was warranted. had the victim been an infant would you think the same way?
    Oh, for God's sake. Do you even know what the guidelines are in Scotland? Do you even know what he was charged with? Do you even know what the minimum/maximum penalties were? Do you not find it meaningful that emergency services needs to take some responsibility for her death since they could not transport her? Do you like to disagree with me, just because?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •