View Poll Results: Airport security

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • USA /TSA Type

    7 36.84%
  • Israel Behavioral Profiling

    12 63.16%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

  1. #1
    Student Sidgaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lost in Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-19-14 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    160

    Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    1. USA /TSA Weapons search.
    Pat downs / Xrays

    2. Israel behavioral profiling
    Passengers are asked to report three hours before departure. All El Al terminals around the world are closely monitored for security. There are plain-clothes agents and fully armed police or military personnel who patrol the premises for explosives, suspicious behavior, and other threats. Inside the terminal, passengers and their baggage are checked by a trained team. El Al security procedures require that all passengers be interviewed individually prior to boarding, allowing El Al staff to identify possible security threats. Passengers will be asked questions about where they are coming from, the reason for their trip, their job or occupation, and whether they have packed their bags themselves. The likelihood of potential terrorists remaining calm under such questioning is believed to be low (see microexpression).[38]

    At the check-in counter, passengers' passports and tickets are closely examined. A ticket without a sticker from the security checkers will not be accepted. At passport control passengers' names are checked against information from the FBI, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Scotland Yard, Shin Bet, and Interpol databases. Luggage is screened and sometimes hand searched. In addition, bags are put through a decompression chamber simulating pressures during flight that could trigger explosives.[39] El Al is the only airline in the world that passes all luggage through such a chamber.[40] Even at overseas airports, El Al security agents conduct all luggage searches personally, even if they are supervised by government or private security firms.[41]
    El Al - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidgaf View Post
    1. USA /TSA Weapons search.
    Pat downs / Xrays

    2. Israel behavioral profiling
    Passengers are asked to report three hours before departure. All El Al terminals around the world are closely monitored for security. There are plain-clothes agents and fully armed police or military personnel who patrol the premises for explosives, suspicious behavior, and other threats. Inside the terminal, passengers and their baggage are checked by a trained team. El Al security procedures require that all passengers be interviewed individually prior to boarding, allowing El Al staff to identify possible security threats. Passengers will be asked questions about where they are coming from, the reason for their trip, their job or occupation, and whether they have packed their bags themselves. The likelihood of potential terrorists remaining calm under such questioning is believed to be low (see microexpression).[38]

    At the check-in counter, passengers' passports and tickets are closely examined. A ticket without a sticker from the security checkers will not be accepted. At passport control passengers' names are checked against information from the FBI, Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Scotland Yard, Shin Bet, and Interpol databases. Luggage is screened and sometimes hand searched. In addition, bags are put through a decompression chamber simulating pressures during flight that could trigger explosives.[39] El Al is the only airline in the world that passes all luggage through such a chamber.[40] Even at overseas airports, El Al security agents conduct all luggage searches personally, even if they are supervised by government or private security firms.[41]
    El Al - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    We could learn a lot from airport security from El Al.

    An ElAl screener will pay close attention to a variety of inputs, some of which are listed below for reference:

    * race and nationally
    * use of language - local or foreign
    * speech patterns
    * is the accent true or fake
    * tone and voice pitch
    * the way and behavioral manners questions are answered
    * use of slang – is it up to date, older, foreign; does it fit the age and declared profession
    * hair style, scars and tattoos
    * clothing, shoes and accessories
    * type of luggage, how many pieces – does it fit the pattern
    * do the clothes and personal items in the suitcase match the type and clothing the person is wearing
    * does the passenger’s profession and the reasons of taking the flight match the other details
    * mood and body language
    * skin complexion as compared to the other findings
    * sweating heavily in the air-conditioned hall
    * does information about the destination fit the reasons of taking the flight
    Global Politician - TSA and Aviation Security: What is wrong with their concepts and strategy Part Two

    And we'll start right after a U.S. plane is blown up midair.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    140

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    We could learn a lot from airport security from El Al.



    Global Politician - TSA and Aviation Security: What is wrong with their concepts and strategy – Part Two

    And we'll start right after a U.S. plane is blown up midair.
    PanAm Flight 103 comes to mind.

    179 American passengers and 11 American crew members were killed that day; out of 243 passengers and 16 crew members the USA suffered the most losses.
    Last edited by Sadie; 11-16-10 at 12:39 PM.

  4. #4
    Student Sidgaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lost in Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-19-14 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    160

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    Now the question is with airport like The Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
    which averages more than 240,000 passengers a day can the Israel model handle that many people a day?

    ATL FactSheet
    under Other Facts:

  5. #5
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    It's a nice model, but it wouldn't scale to the size the US would need. It would take an unfeasibly long time to get through security, there would be a lack of qualified screeners, and we would have to increase the security budget to more than twelve times its current level (and that's ignoring the increased inefficiency that would necessarily come with such a huge expansion).

    Borovich estimated El Al's security bill at $100 million a year, which amounts to $76.92 per trip by its 1.3 million passengers. Half is paid by the Israeli government.

    By contrast, the TSA spent $4.58 billion on aviation security, or just $6.21 per trip by 737 million passengers, in fiscal 2005.
    Source - Bloomberg

  6. #6
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    Not really sure how to respond to the poll, since I'm not sure what it's asking. Is it asking which is a better system? Or which should the US use? Or what?

    I would argue that the Israeli model is probably more effective, but I doubt it would work well for the US's huge overcrowded airports.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  7. #7
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    Neither. Simple weapons screening and further procedures if there is probable cause to justify. Otherwise, as a freedom loving American, don't be touching my junk.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #8
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    I'd say what we had before was good enough. Simple weapons screening, metal detectors, maybe the occasional pat down (but no groping).
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #9
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    Why are so many people in support of allowing us to become a police state? Where the government can violate you in these ways?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #10
    Student Sidgaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lost in Maryland
    Last Seen
    01-19-14 @ 11:25 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    160

    re: Airport Security - Which one do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Not really sure how to respond to the poll, since I'm not sure what it's asking. Is it asking which is a better system? Or which should the US use? Or what?

    I would argue that the Israeli model is probably more effective, but I doubt it would work well for the US's huge overcrowded airports.
    Sorry about that I was looking for "Which one do you prefer", and so far the Israeli model is winning
    but as you pointed out it will never work with major airports.
    I know check in on Monday, fly out on Wednesday.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •