View Poll Results: Your Identity and For/Against this SS Reform model

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Socialist and Against

    10 10.99%
  • Socialist and For

    1 1.10%
  • Democrat and Against

    21 23.08%
  • Democrat and For

    6 6.59%
  • Republican and Against

    2 2.20%
  • Republican and For

    22 24.18%
  • Libertarian and Against

    9 9.89%
  • Liberarian and For

    9 9.89%
  • I am for it, but with a particular modification (explain)

    11 12.09%
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 503

Thread: Social Security Fix

  1. #191
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by Jzyehoshua View Post
    The obvious problem is that if enough people opt out of Social Security, you won't have the money on hand to pay those who've already paid into it, making for a bunch of very angry senior citizens who will seize their dentures and pitchforks, march on Washington, and leave a wake of rubble and destroyed buildings - okay, I'm getting carried away here, but you get the idea.
    that's why people under this plan - should they opt out - continue to pay in 5.1%, and we pop the cap.

  2. #192
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Plutarch was incorrect. People (dogs too) are independent actors restrained by situation and moment. There are choices.
    Memory of what we did or didn't do in similar situations triggers our response.

    Your post, for example, triggered my response.

    ricksfolly

  3. #193
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    Memory of what we did or didn't do in similar situations triggers our response.

    Your post, for example, triggered my response.

    ricksfolly
    My post was part of pull on your trigger; however, part of the other part is chaos. Without chaos there would be no independent action, with chaos there is. Itís neat how that works. Nothing, or almost nothing, is deterministic in the physical world.

  4. #194
    User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-05-11 @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8

    Re: Social Security Fix

    I am for privatization of Social Security or having private accounts for each individual. I am tired of paying for dead beats with out jobs that are multigenerations on welfare, or illegals getting an "anchor" baby and living on social security. If you didnt put a pay check into your bank account then when you want that bag of chips you would not be able to purchase it. It is the same concept. Someone getting something for nothing. Also why would the idiot in the white house want to raise their standard of living to match lower middle class. These people work for a living and strive to make ends meet and save a little and Obama The Fool says it is not right that people on welfare and social security have to do without. HELLO its called get a job and save up.

  5. #195
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Social Security Fix

    HAH, it just occurs to me. all the democrats are voting the exact same as the socialists

  6. #196
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    The Fool says it is not right that people on welfare and social security have to do without.
    Did the POTUS actually say that, or do we categorize your statement along with the birther nonsense, or perhaps the pres as a Muslim and a Marxist?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #197
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    I am for privatization of Social Security or having private accounts for each individual. I am tired of paying for dead beats with out jobs that are multigenerations on welfare, or illegals getting an "anchor" baby and living on social security. If you didnt put a pay check into your bank account then when you want that bag of chips you would not be able to purchase it. It is the same concept. Someone getting something for nothing. Also why would the idiot in the white house want to raise their standard of living to match lower middle class. These people work for a living and strive to make ends meet and save a little and Obama The Fool says it is not right that people on welfare and social security have to do without. HELLO its called get a job and save up.
    Ok lets get this right ok There are some deadbeats on SS disability no doubt there are some illegal immigrants therefore some getting something for nothing.
    However, the lionshare of people on Social Security Paid it their entire lives.
    Ill use myself as an example: I am 63 yrs old, I got my working papers at 12 yrs old. I have worked on the books all my life. I was FORCED into Social Security, I was given no choice to invest that money elsewhere, the govt took it from my paycheck every week religiously. Ive paid into social security for 47 yrs. Im not a deadbeat, a bum or a freeloader...Just an american who worked all his life and paid in to social security and paid all my taxs...and I still am.
    Most SS recipients are a reflection of ME...not those you described.
    I am for SS reform but none of the solutions tha have been put forward yet by Dems of Gop

  8. #198
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Ok lets get this right ok There are some deadbeats on SS disability no doubt there are some illegal immigrants therefore some getting something for nothing.
    However, the lionshare of people on Social Security Paid it their entire lives.
    Ill use myself as an example: I am 63 yrs old, I got my working papers at 12 yrs old. I have worked on the books all my life. I was FORCED into Social Security, I was given no choice to invest that money elsewhere, the govt took it from my paycheck every week religiously. Ive paid into social security for 47 yrs. Im not a deadbeat, a bum or a freeloader...Just an american who worked all his life and paid in to social security and paid all my taxs...and I still am.
    Most SS recipients are a reflection of ME...not those you described.
    I am for SS reform but none of the solutions tha have been put forward yet by Dems of Gop
    What really needs to be done is to take SS out of the general fund, start paying back those IOUs, and quit paying out the money to people who didn't pay into the system.

    I'm not on SS, don't qualify. I do qualify for California state teacher's retirement. Teachers here pay 8% into the fund, just like SS, matched at 8% by the employer, just like SS, but the money gets put into a trust fund and the excess invested, unlike SS. Also unlike SS, a teacher with 30 years in can retire at 72% of final salary at the age of 62. Unlike SS, the STRS fund is solid and unlikely to go broke any time in my lifetime, or probably ever. The only difference is that the money was not raided in order to help balance the budget.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #199
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Ok lets get this right ok There are some deadbeats on SS disability no doubt there are some illegal immigrants therefore some getting something for nothing.
    However, the lionshare of people on Social Security Paid it their entire lives.
    Ill use myself as an example: I am 63 yrs old, I got my working papers at 12 yrs old. I have worked on the books all my life. I was FORCED into Social Security, I was given no choice to invest that money elsewhere, the govt took it from my paycheck every week religiously. Ive paid into social security for 47 yrs. Im not a deadbeat, a bum or a freeloader...Just an american who worked all his life and paid in to social security and paid all my taxs...and I still am.
    Most SS recipients are a reflection of ME...not those you described.
    I am for SS reform but none of the solutions tha have been put forward yet by Dems of Gop
    you're 63. the GOP options wouldn't effect you at all.

  10. #200
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    What really needs to be done is to take SS out of the general fund, start paying back those IOUs, and quit paying out the money to people who didn't pay into the system.
    ah yes. and with what money, pray tell, we going to be achieving this laudable goal?

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •