View Poll Results: Your Identity and For/Against this SS Reform model

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Socialist and Against

    10 10.99%
  • Socialist and For

    1 1.10%
  • Democrat and Against

    21 23.08%
  • Democrat and For

    6 6.59%
  • Republican and Against

    2 2.20%
  • Republican and For

    22 24.18%
  • Libertarian and Against

    9 9.89%
  • Liberarian and For

    9 9.89%
  • I am for it, but with a particular modification (explain)

    11 12.09%
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 503

Thread: Social Security Fix

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,852

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Two-thirds of American favor it. I don't care if a small minority have a problem with it.
    I
    don't
    care.

    If 93% of people who earn money can pay the tax on ALL their earnings then the other 7% can also.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #12
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Two-thirds of American favor it. I don't care if a small minority have a problem with it.
    I
    don't
    care.

    If 93% of people who earn money can pay the tax on ALL their earnings then the other 7% can also.
    And like I said, let me know when that happens.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 11-14-10 at 12:15 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #13
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Social Security is not broken.
    Social Security wasn't supposed to start spending more than it took in until the 2020's; it started running in the red last year. It's not bankrupting us (yet), but it is insolvent.

    Also SS is not a retirement plan, it's insurance against poverty either in old age or if you become incapacitated when your young enough to work
    okay, but that doesn't explain why are you against increasing the payout to poorer workers?

    I can't confirm this, but I've heard as much as 30% of current recipient are young enough to work, but can't.
    hmmm, so a modification that either allows people who are injured to dip into their account early; or trade it back in to get back on the traditional program.

  4. #14
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Two-thirds of American favor it. I don't care if a small minority have a problem with it.
    it's not a political problem, it's an economic one; because of the employer match, you are also increasing taxes on employers, which means they will seek to reduce their payroll.



    and I'm still waiting to see why the "SS isn't broken" crowd is against financial independence for poor people.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,852

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    it's not a political problem, it's an economic one; because of the employer match, you are also increasing taxes on employers, which means they will seek to reduce their payroll.



    and I'm still waiting to see why the "SS isn't broken" crowd is against financial independence for poor people.
    Are you honestly telling me that an employer would be willing to pay somebody a million dollars a year and that is fine with them but an additional 6% is suddenly the straw which breaks the camels back? That stretches believability. And if it actually would do that,the employer simply adjusts the salary to take into consideration that extra 6%. That is done every day of the week with tens of millions of people who make less than $106K per year.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #16
    Educator ender1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    08-01-11 @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    646

    idea Re: Social Security Fix

    My idea is to stop letting the government take the surplus and spend it. That would insure that those who have put money into the system get it returned. Lets call it a "Lock Box". . . Wait.

  7. #17
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Social Security Fix

    It's not 'broken' - as in: 'it was working fine one day but now it's not working well anymore.' - It is fundamentally flawed - and it is coming to the foreseen end that everyone KNEW would happen but they chose to usher it around, anyway.

    I think the main reasons why it's not a good idea is that it #1) Puts a future burden on the government to pay back your input + interest which is non-negotiable. #2) People depend on it - expect it to supplement income in the situation of retirement (which leads to . . . ) #3) People are living longer in their retirement years.

    Overall - I think we need to slowly abandon it, since it's fundamentally flawed. And encourage individuals that, if they want to have the possibility of a comfy retirement in the future, they need to play a more intricate part in covering the costs of it.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #18
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Are you honestly telling me that an employer would be willing to pay somebody a million dollars a year and that is fine with them but an additional 6% is suddenly the straw which breaks the camels back?
    1. it's 7.65% and
    2. it's a marginal decision. so no, everyone making (say) $110,000 won't get fired. their employers will just see the costs of creating such positions go up, and will thus make fewer of them.

    what is it about the supply/demand curve that liberals Just Don't Get?

  9. #19
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by ender1 View Post
    My idea is to stop letting the government take the surplus and spend it. That would insure that those who have put money into the system get it returned. Lets call it a "Lock Box". . . Wait.
    too late; SS is already running in the red. you should have sold this decades ago.

  10. #20
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Social Security Fix

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Are you honestly telling me that an employer would be willing to pay somebody a million dollars a year and that is fine with them but an additional 6% is suddenly the straw which breaks the camels back? That stretches believability. And if it actually would do that,the employer simply adjusts the salary to take into consideration that extra 6%. That is done every day of the week with tens of millions of people who make less than $106K per year.
    He said that the employers would seek to reduce their payroll.

    You respond by noting that the employers would just reduce their payroll.

    Not sure how you're disputing what he said.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •