View Poll Results: Should churches be made to wed same sex couples?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Churches should have to wed same sex couples.

    3 4.41%
  • No. Churches should not have to wed same sex couples.

    64 94.12%
  • Other

    1 1.47%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 86

Thread: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

  1. #21
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    forcing churches to wed same sex couples is like forcing the WNBA to allow male players or forcing the united negro college fund to give scholarships to white kids.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #22
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The poll itself constitutes a sort of strawman argument, because if such a thing is imposed, it will not be imposed through the will of the majority, but through the action of activist judges.
    Where could they possibly get their position from? It would be in direct violation of the very first Amendment. And no group has ever been told that their right to get married overrides a churches right to not perform their wedding ceremonies.

    You want to show me one case where "activist" judges' ruled on something that wasn't at least a little iffy whether about whether what they ruled on was unconstitutional or not, or where what they ruled on was so opposed by most of the population, that anyone and everyone would be calling foul? At least 95% of people (probably more) would agree that churches have a right to not perform weddings that the church does not approve of. No other issue that these so called "activist" judges ruled on would have such numbers.

    If it were the case that judges could completely disregard the Constitution, then what would keep them from just disregarding the Constitution on anything. Such an argument could easily be used to say that judges could rule at any time to strike down beastiality laws, age of consent laws, pretty much any laws could be struck down if judges are all likely to go against the Constitution.


    Besides the original argument was that there would be support from gays for such a thing. Without support, an issue does not go far.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #23
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There have been accusations that if same sex couples are allowed to wed that gays will then insist and eventually win the right to be wed by religious leaders and in churches that wouldn't approve.

    Now most people realize that this is obviously a ridiculous argument and against freedom of religion, but let's see how many might actually support this.
    The state is the overall authority over marriage. . . everything else is *up to you - your choice*

    You go to the registrar's office (or what have you - it's different everywhere you go). You file your fee - they process your personal info and certify your marriage certificate.

    You have choices, then, of who will do your "ceremony" (which, technically, is just signing the paper to certify you were unified): Justice of the peace, a reverend or someone else who's been sanctioned to perform ceremonies (there's a huge variety) - but ultimately the person who signs the line doesn't have to be a religious leader at all (as would be a Justice of the Peace - or as my husband and I married: ceremoniously by a non-religious unifier)

    Since there is a vast VARIETY of people to choose from for performing a unification - I don't believe anyone should be FORCED to wed someone they don't *want* to wed.

    If a Pharmacist doesn't *have* to dispense certain medications (like certain birth-control pills) *because* of religious beliefs then ministers, etc, shouldn't *have* to unify a couple for whatever personal reason they have if it's in conflict with their espoused religious beliefs.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 11-12-10 at 07:21 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,868
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    forcing churches to wed same sex couples is like forcing the WNBA to allow male players or forcing the united negro college fund to give scholarships to white kids.
    The WNBA or UNC are not even close to being in the same league as religion. Religion and most (not all) of their practices are protected under the first amendment of the US Constitution. The There is no such protection for the WNBA or UNC. In fact I would suggest that by not allowing males to play in the WNBA they are being sexist and by not giving scholarships to white kids the UNC is being racist. Both of which is against the Constitution.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #25
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    There have been accusations that if same sex couples are allowed to wed that gays will then insist and eventually win the right to be wed by religious leaders and in churches that wouldn't approve.

    Now most people realize that this is obviously a ridiculous argument and against freedom of religion, but let's see how many might actually support this.
    No, they shouldn't. The government should allow gay couples to have legal marriages. Private religious organizations should not in any way be forced to host marriage ceremonies for gay couples.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #26
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    forcing churches to wed same sex couples is like forcing the WNBA to allow male players or forcing the united negro college fund to give scholarships to white kids.
    Not quite. There is a growing number of religious leaders who are recognizing homosexuality as not a sin. Therefore, there are religious organizations who would voluntarily allow gay marriage ceremonies to be performed at their church.

    Personally, however, I don't understand why people would get married in a church that they don't regularly attend if they really want to have a religious ceremony. I mean if a couple is religious enough to want a religious ceremony, I would think that they would be religious enough to attend a church regularly, and would be aware of that church's official stance on the issue.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #27
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Not to copy Jerry, but I'm pretty sure there are still churches which will not marry interracial couples. If bringing down bans on interracial marriage did not lead to forcing those churches to marry interracial couples, then why would bringing down same sex marriage bans lead to forcing churches to marry same sex couples?

  8. #28
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Not quite. There is a growing number of religious leaders who are recognizing homosexuality as not a sin. Therefore, there are religious organizations who would voluntarily allow gay marriage ceremonies to be performed at their church.

    Personally, however, I don't understand why people would get married in a church that they don't regularly attend if they really want to have a religious ceremony. I mean if a couple is religious enough to want a religious ceremony, I would think that they would be religious enough to attend a church regularly, and would be aware of that church's official stance on the issue.
    Nah. Brides today just want the bells and whistles of a church wedding for the videography. Member of the church? Regular attendance? Religious? Immaterial.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #29
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    This is obviously a ridiculous argument and against freedom of religion.
    To support this is to pick and choose when the wall between church and state may be ignored.

  10. #30
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,133

    Re: Support forcing churches to wed same sex couples?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    ...the wall between church and state may be ignored.
    This brings up an interesting point. The people who tend to argue that same sex marriage will lead to churches being forced to marry same sex couples are often the same people who are trying to dismantle separation of church and state. Perhaps they see it as a roadblock to achieving their goal.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •