View Poll Results: Is complete nuclear disarmament a good idea?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we should destroy all nuclear weapons.

    10 21.28%
  • No, but stockpiles should be reduced.

    13 27.66%
  • No, stockpiles should be maintained at current levels.

    8 17.02%
  • No, stockpiles should be increased

    14 29.79%
  • Other

    2 4.26%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 68

Thread: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    That's one instance across 45+ years of history, and it doesnt address the questions I asked.
    ble What do you suppose would have happened in October of 61 if the US had no credible nuclear deterrent?
    The past is the past. Russia is no longer our enemy. All I know now is what I see. Smaller and unstable powers are clamouring for nuclear weapons because the major world powers all set that example. The UN Security Council is basically a council of nuclear powers only. We taught them through our foreign policy and diplomacy that when you have nukes, people will listen to you. If you don't have nukes, then you are just as liable to be invaded.

    I do not think it's practical to completely disarm at this time. The security dilemma would have to be resolved before that could happen, and we simply don't have that level of trust between nations yet. However, it would be a show of good faith to reduce the arsenal. No single country needs enough nuclear weapons to incinerate every square inch of planet earth four times over. It is irresponsible and impractical to possess so many weapons of mass destruction.

    Despite the warhawks in politics, war in the world is on the decline. Complex interdependence is increasing. Yes, there are major inequities that still remain unaddressed, but at least we aren't at each other's throats as much as we used to be. There are some regions that still need stability and that may or may not require intervention, but on the whole the world is much better off than the days of the Cold War. Don't you agree?

  2. #32
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,637

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I saw a little blurb on CNN the other day that President Obama visited Hiroshima (or was it Nagasaki?) Japan as part of his hope to create 'a world without nuclear arms'

    Assume for a moment that it would be possible to convince every country in the world to destroy all of their nuclear weapons. Is it a good idea? Why or why not?
    No it is not, unfortunately. One can hate nuclear power, but the secret is already out, and each power, especially those who have it, want to keep that status-and arguably, should. That doesn't mean I can't hold some sort of warm feeling anytime our Presidents say something like this (Reagan did it as well), however, the reality is that it is an immensely bad idea.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #33
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,637

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The past is the past. Russia is no longer our enemy. All I know now is what I see. Smaller and unstable powers are clamouring for nuclear weapons because the major world powers all set that example. The UN Security Council is basically a council of nuclear powers only. We taught them through our foreign policy and diplomacy that when you have nukes, people will listen to you. If you don't have nukes, then you are just as liable to be invaded.

    I do not think it's practical to completely disarm at this time. The security dilemma would have to be resolved before that could happen, and we simply don't have that level of trust between nations yet. However, it would be a show of good faith to reduce the arsenal. No single country needs enough nuclear weapons to incinerate every square inch of planet earth four times over. It is irresponsible and impractical to possess so many weapons of mass destruction.

    Despite the warhawks in politics, war in the world is on the decline. Complex interdependence is increasing. Yes, there are major inequities that still remain unaddressed, but at least we aren't at each other's throats as much as we used to be. There are some regions that still need stability and that may or may not require intervention, but on the whole the world is much better off than the days of the Cold War. Don't you agree?
    I'm mostly mixed on that message. I like being an optimist and the idea of nuclear draw-downs (especially when it makes sense, like with Russia and the United States), but the reality is that state-on-state conflict will remain. Each state will try to one-up the other in the negotiating table, which is arguably what happened not long ago with the US and Russia. Likewise, one of the biggest issues for the security intellectual development is what to do about Non-governmental actors and nuclear arms. There has been very little concrete progress in that regard, and perhaps there won't be.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-09-10 at 08:00 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #34
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Keep it as it is. DONT let anyone else have them!!!!!
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  5. #35
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Keep it as it is. DONT let anyone else have them!!!!!
    I recommend developing really small nuclear weapons – or better yet, really small nuclear reactors (coupled with lightbulbs) – for the purpose of replacing Christmas lights.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #36
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    The past is the past. Russia is no longer our enemy. All I know now is what I see.
    You're sidestepping.
    Fact of the matter is the only thing that kept Russian armor from the channel was the credible threat of the US nuclear deterrent.

  7. #37
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,504

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Despite the warhawks in politics, war in the world is on the decline. Complex interdependence is increasing. Yes, there are major inequities that still remain unaddressed, but at least we aren't at each other's throats as much as we used to be. There are some regions that still need stability and that may or may not require intervention, but on the whole the world is much better off than the days of the Cold War. Don't you agree?
    You woefully underestimate the role the nuclear deterrent plays in diminishing conventional war. If you think there's a reduced level of conventional conflict simply because the world is evolving beyond it . . . think again.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #38
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    There is no nuclear enemy, and MAD is and always was a false idea. The reason that the US and USSR never exchanged nuclear attacks is because no one on either side wanted a destructive war. There was no benefit to it. No one would prosper from such violence. Only a truly insane person would destroy another country and murder innocent people just to prove a point. And even the crazy terrorists who are trying to do this now do not have the numbers to pose a real threat, nor do they congregate in groups large enough to be a nuclear target. Major governments no longer make war upon one another. There is no profit in it.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #39
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:10 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,504

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    There is no nuclear enemy, and MAD is and always was a false idea. The reason that the US and USSR never exchanged nuclear attacks is because no one on either side wanted a destructive war.
    OK.

    You say "MAD is and always was a false idea" and then say nuclear war never happened BECAUSE of MAD. Are you sure you know what MAD is?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #40
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: Is nuclear disarmament a good idea?

    If it were possible to convince them all to disarm then of course. Man now possesses the power to literally put an end to pretty much all living organisms on the face of this planet with Nuclear Weapons. Kind of scary when you think about it.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •