View Poll Results: which statement is more true?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • There is a liberal gene

    2 13.33%
  • There is a conservative gene

    0 0%
  • Its mostly environment

    13 86.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Genetic Politics

  1. #11
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Scientists Find 'Liberal Gene' | NBC San Diego

    Given the information in the article, which statement is more true?

    There is a liberal gene.
    There is a conservative gene.

    If we want to go deeper, the next logical question would be, is one of these variants a defective one?
    I think it's mostly how people come to conclusions through thinking.
    Some aspects could predispose how a person thinks, which could influence a political leaning.

    I think it's part of each.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Apple's most hardcore fans trend towards having the 'religion' gene.

    I'm not sure if I have either gene though, that'd be illuminating.

    I probably have the liberal gene.

  3. #13
    Student pendulum_jaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    U.S.S.A.
    Last Seen
    01-06-11 @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    209

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by librep View Post
    That's amusing, but completely asinine. One's political leaning is entirely learned from interactions within one's environment. Absolutely no genetics involved.
    If you understood some of the biology behind this, you might not be so definitively dismissive. The particular gene involved here encodes for one of the dopamine receptors, which are signal transducing proteins that reside on the membranes of neuronal dendrites in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter involved in several aspects of cognitive function, including memory and analytical ability. The different variants involved may very well have different physical properties that alter functional sensitivity to dopamine challenge. It's not inconceivable that a brain with one variant may make decisions very differently than a brain having the other variant.
    ...this post brought to you by the United States government, "working hard to solve yesterday's problems as we strive to create the crises for a new tomorrow."


  4. #14
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Scientists Find 'Liberal Gene' | NBC San Diego

    Given the information in the article, which statement is more true?

    There is a liberal gene.
    There is a conservative gene.

    If we want to go deeper, the next logical question would be, is one of these variants a defective one?
    Scientifically speaking, neither one is defective. I believe that genetic politics should be further researched. However, I can't really reply judgment to either one, as I believe in natural selection. Because neither liberals nor conservatives have died off, it means that both types of people provide some type of benefit to human society.

    Liberals provide a people of one set of specific values. Conservatives provide a people of a different set of specific values. Speaking on a grand scale, both sets of values are required to ensure the survival of the human race.

    In different environmental settings, one or both of those values will cause the humans who have them to better survive. In some environments, liberal values will cause the flourishing of humanity. In other environments, conservatives values will cause the flourishing of humanity. In some environments, both sets of values will cause the flourishing of humanity. In some environments, neither set of values will cause the flourishing of humanity.

    After all, take sociopaths. I read an article that once stated that the scientific purpose behind sociopaths was specifically so that there would be some types of humans who would put their own survival above all others as a natural safeguard to the continuation of the human race. So I definitely think that genetics can influence human behavior, and therefore influence a person's politics. However, I don't think a specific value judgment can be applied to genetic politics. Every set has their own evolutionary purpose.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  5. #15
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Scientifically speaking, neither one is defective.
    I know. I worded it that way to see if I could catch any hacks

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Of course there is no such thing....
    However ,what could be genetic is compassion for others, this generally would be more liberal than libertarian....IMO...

  7. #17
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Of course there is no such thing....
    However ,what could be genetic is compassion for others, this generally would be more liberal than libertarian....IMO...
    I disagree. I think Conservatives are much more compassionate.
    It's a fact that they are more charitable.

    Just because they are against high taxes and big entitlements doesn't mean they don't care. They want everyone to have the same opportunties to succeed and non stop handouts only prevent people from succeeding in life. Hand ups, not hand outs.
    Hand outs tend to keep people down. That is not compassionate.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #18
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Not true. The factors that influence human behavior are so complex that the best answer at this time is that don't understand the many factors that influence the outcome. Genetics may play a role, but nobody really knows how large or small that role is.
    You're right... Behavior conditioning is complex. Starting with the influence of parents and older sibs, behavior conditioning moves on to teachers and peer inputs. Teens get more of the same but from many more sources.

    Counting up all the days, hours, and minutes, behavior conditioning goes through, it's no wonder that the result is so complex.

    ricksfolly

  9. #19
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Hillary Clinton used to be a Goldwater Girl when she was in college. I guess the gene thing has been debunked now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  10. #20
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Genetic Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    I disagree. I think Conservatives are much more compassionate.
    It's a fact that they are more charitable.

    Just because they are against high taxes and big entitlements doesn't mean they don't care. They want everyone to have the same opportunties to succeed and non stop handouts only prevent people from succeeding in life. Hand ups, not hand outs.
    Hand outs tend to keep people down. That is not compassionate.
    Not wanting to be poor and desiring material things is a pretty strong incentive to steer clear of welfare. It is a hard one to top through artifice.

    Nothing skeezy about it, the methodology would be simple enough to find a simple correlation.
    The science might not be skeezy in the strictest sense of the word, but people have a hard time contextualizing scientific observations, and the media doesn't help.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 11-09-10 at 05:29 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •