View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm smarter than most Americans

    15 34.09%
  • I'm not smarter than most Americans

    1 2.27%
  • Most Americans don't have enough knowledge to justify their opinions

    25 56.82%
  • Most Americans do have enough knowledge

    3 6.82%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: The Majority of Americans Are...

  1. #11
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Patriot View Post
    Most Americans are ignorant and stupid when it comes to politics due to the failure of our schools when it comes to teaching government and politics along with the rest of the subjects they teach.
    This is because both sides have allowed education to become so politicized.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  2. #12
    Advisor BCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Heart of Dixie
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    598

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    when it comes to politics your average American does not have enough knowledge to justify their opinions..Not necessarily because they are stupid but because they don't care.
    I use a lot of satire and sarcasm so keep that in mind when reading my posts.

  3. #13
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    when it comes to politics your average American does not have enough knowledge to justify their opinions..Not necessarily because they are stupid but because they don't care.
    I don't think it's because they don't care, I think it's more because they don't care to consider the full political spectrum of an issue. There's many sides to a cause, and it can be tough to find all the information on one.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    I didn't participate in the poll because I don't think it is quite that simple.

    I talk politics with people quite a lot.
    Some are intelligent but politically uninformed.
    --- sometimes this is due to a lack of intrest. Sometimes they know they are uninformed. Sometimes they don't.
    Some are not especially intelligent, but possess considerable information about political issues... which they often mis-analyze or mis-characterize.
    Some are smart and well-informed, and these come in all idelogical flavors.

    I think it is very hard to nail down what the "Average" American is like, in terms of intellect and political knowlege. I've met janitors who could have an hour-long discussion of politics and bring informed insight to the conversation. I've met university professors who were ignorant of politics yet held arrogantly stubborn positions that had no basis in reality.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Im not trying to define "average American" or "Americans in general" intentionally, because the idea is for the person reading the question to use their own definition. I expected results similar to when people are asked if they think they are a better than average driver, to which the large majority will say yes I'm a better driver than most.

    I think there's a trend in Americans, and perhaps people in general, where they tend to have a superiority complex to some degree or another. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit thats not true for me as well. But in my opinion and view it seems like for whatever reasons, perhaps its more self-gratifying or perhaps they can't handle the truth, most people view themselves as smarter than most everyone else. Especially when it comes to issues or things they are passionate about, again for whatever reason.

    For example if I started a topic about the vastly complex US tax code, I'd imagine I'd get a lot of responses from people who don't truely understand it in its entirely, if thats even possible for a single person to accomplish, but would have extremely strong opinions about it. And those opinions would probably be summed up in a sentence or two or perhaps a short paragraph. And on top that they'd be sure their simple explanation is entirely sufficient to justify their stance, and extremely unwavering in that stance.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Im not trying to define "average American" or "Americans in general" intentionally, because the idea is for the person reading the question to use their own definition. I expected results similar to when people are asked if they think they are a better than average driver, to which the large majority will say yes I'm a better driver than most.

    I think there's a trend in Americans, and perhaps people in general, where they tend to have a superiority complex to some degree or another. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit thats not true for me as well. But in my opinion and view it seems like for whatever reasons, perhaps its more self-gratifying or perhaps they can't handle the truth, most people view themselves as smarter than most everyone else. Especially when it comes to issues or things they are passionate about, again for whatever reason.

    For example if I started a topic about the vastly complex US tax code, I'd imagine I'd get a lot of responses from people who don't truely understand it in its entirely, if thats even possible for a single person to accomplish, but would have extremely strong opinions about it. And those opinions would probably be summed up in a sentence or two or perhaps a short paragraph. And on top that they'd be sure their simple explanation is entirely sufficient to justify their stance, and extremely unwavering in that stance.

    It is patently impossible for any individual to understand, in full detail, all aspects of something as complex as our government. Does this mean no one should vote?

    Most people are pretty busy earning a living, seeking to advance their career, taking care of their home/spouse/kids, and study politics (if they do) as merely a sideline. Their knowlege is going to necessarily be limited compared to someone whose profession is politics. Should they then not vote?

    Knowlege/ability comes in many levels. From professional/mastery to amateur/associate to dilettante/tyro to rank neophyte to utterly ignorant. At what level does someone have a right to an opinion? At what level is their opinion worth listening to? At what level should they be allowed to influence government policy?

    Well, legally and Constitutionally, all they have to "be" is 18 and a citizen.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    It is patently impossible for any individual to understand, in full detail, all aspects of something as complex as our government. Does this mean no one should vote?

    Most people are pretty busy earning a living, seeking to advance their career, taking care of their home/spouse/kids, and study politics (if they do) as merely a sideline. Their knowlege is going to necessarily be limited compared to someone whose profession is politics. Should they then not vote?

    Knowlege/ability comes in many levels. From professional/mastery to amateur/associate to dilettante/tyro to rank neophyte to utterly ignorant. At what level does someone have a right to an opinion? At what level is their opinion worth listening to? At what level should they be allowed to influence government policy?

    Well, legally and Constitutionally, all they have to "be" is 18 and a citizen.
    I'm not suggesting people shouldn't vote, but you made some good points. What I am suggesting is that people should be more comfortable saying "I don't know" when it comes to something they really don't know about and perhaps avoid having an opinion on the matter alltogether if its all possible. But then again there's certain thins like taxes or some laws, which may seem to or perhaps honestly stand in the way of part of a peron's life and therefore there's no reason to not have an opinion.

    Now I was just thinking that people should trust their politicans more but thats obviously no solution given what those in control have done thus far, but then again I also hate it when people vote for politicans simply because they think they look trustworthy.

    Well I'm going to put my foot where my mouth is and say now I don't know, you stumped me.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Well I'm going to put my foot where my mouth is and say now I don't know, you stumped me.

    Welcome to the club, I don't know how to fix this mess either.

    Maybe you don't "fix" democratic republics. Maybe you just accept that a certain level of ongoing chaos is part of liberty, and just ride the tiger.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #19
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Here are three suggestions for fixing political polarization in the United States and the policy errors that result from it:

    1. Outlaw political parties and overt displays of partisanship.

    2. Reform our bicameral legislature into a parliament.

    3. Promote a centrist political culture.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 11-01-10 at 12:04 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: The Majority of Americans Are...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Welcome to the club, I don't know how to fix this mess either.

    Maybe you don't "fix" democratic republics. Maybe you just accept that a certain level of ongoing chaos is part of liberty, and just ride the tiger.
    Hopefully, I know I'm not the first person to look at our democracy and get worried this thing is going to hell. I mean I'm sure some guy long dead thought the same thing and here we still are, and it definably could be worse.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •