View Poll Results: In a war between the Federation and the Empire, who wins?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Empire

    22 46.81%
  • Federation

    25 53.19%
Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 429

Thread: Federation v Empire

  1. #361
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Which screen? Movie, TV, or computer?
    movie and TV. none of that fanboy computer crap counts
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #362
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    You don't seem to understand my argument. I'm saying that it is stupid to assume that the federation will attack the empire solely from warp, because on-screen evidence shows that the federation mostly fights at sublight speeds. There is clearly a reason for that. Yes, the have the capability to occasionally fire a few shots from warp, but for the most part they do not (or cannot) fight that way.
    Film shows that ST ships are perfectly capable of fighting from warp against FTL and sub-light targets.
    Given the incomparably huge advantage that doing so gives them against Imperial ships, there's no reason whatsoever for them to ever drop to sub-light.

    There are examples of ST universe ships fighting at sublight speeds even in situations where it would be advantageous for them to attack from warp (i.e. when attacking planets, or stations with no warp engines of their own).
    Given the target's inability to manuver and its ability to target the ships while at warp, what advantage is there to fight at warp?

    The assumption that the federation would attack the empire solely from warp, and that the empire would be completely unable to fight back is extremely erroneous, and unsupported by what we see on-screen.
    False. Any advantage there might be in dropping to sub-light to fight - whatever that may be - is miniscule compared to the advantage of staying at FTL where --no-- harm can be done to them.

  3. #363
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    movie and TV. none of that fanboy computer crap counts
    All of it is officially licensed and green lit by Lucas to fit within the Star Wars universe. Lucas Arts itself made most of the games and were all properly within the Star Wars universe.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #364
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Nonsense, your proof of isolated incidents doesn't change the vast evidence to the contrary...
    There is no evidence to the contrary.
    Ther is absolutely NO support for the argument that ST ships --must-- slow to sub-light before fighting, either singly or in groups, regardless of the speed of the targets.
    There is indisputible evidence that ST ships CAN engage these targets from FTL.
    I'm sorry -- you're just done.

  5. #365
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Your memory is faulty, its shields had been destroyed by concentrated fire from the entire Rebel Fleet and the A-wing got lucky (or was the pilot unlucky? I'm not sure.)
    There's no evidence to support this.

  6. #366
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    All of it is officially licensed and green lit by Lucas to fit within the Star Wars universe. Lucas Arts itself made most of the games and were all properly within the Star Wars universe.
    yeah...that way he can get royalties or copywrite fees off of it. just because Lucas is a greedy **** doesn't make any of that crap legitimate.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #367
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Actually, the shields had already been taken down. And the fighter hitting the bridge was essentially an accident (the fighter itself had been hit and was out of control). The bridge crew was even talking about evening out the shields to compensate at the time they were hit.
    Really, the point is that such a huge ship apparently has extraordinary vulnerabilities.
    The Enterprise, even after taking close range shots thru down shields, from an enemy that knew exactly where to hit her, was able to continue to fight.
    Last edited by Goobieman; 11-03-10 at 10:39 PM.

  8. #368
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Hello, one trick pony. Care to address my argument against this any time soon?
    Your argument has been disproven.
    You may not like it, but its the truth.

  9. #369
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    There's no evidence to support this.
    Are you being serious? Because it's right out of the movie. They lost their forward deflection shields, they were going to use the rear ones to compensate, but the A-Wing crashed into the bridge and brought the Star Destroyer down. Which, BTW, is one reason why the Empire would lose. They didn't understand the necessities of redundant systems.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #370
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah...that way he can get royalties or copywrite fees off of it. just because Lucas is a greedy **** doesn't make any of that crap legitimate.
    It does if it's officially indoctrinated into the Star Wars universe. Many books were not; but a lot technical books were. Books which include full schematics of the Death Star including its shield generators.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •