View Poll Results: In a war between the Federation and the Empire, who wins?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Empire

    22 46.81%
  • Federation

    25 53.19%
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 429

Thread: Federation v Empire

  1. #321
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    On the heels of the Star Wars v Star Trek poll...

    In a war between the Federation and the Empire, who wins?
    Obviously the Federation. The Empire can't seem to build anything that some random dirt farming kid can't blow up with an X-Wing.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #322
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    By the way, I was pretty sure there was reference to the shields in the movies, I just couldn't place it previously.

    Here's the ANH script excerpt:


    Good enough for ya?
    might have been a reference to 'physical' shields, like doors, as opposed to 'force' shields.

  3. #323
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    bull****, the emporer said it was fully armed AND operational. I heard him ON SCREEN, that trumps any "canon tech manual" you can dig up.. FAIL
    Fully armed and operational was in reference to the main Death Star cannon. When the rebels attacked, it was believed that that main cannon was not yet operational. Which is why they brought their entire fleet to fight there. It wasn't until if fired and blew up one of the rebel capital ships that they realized it was operational in terms of its weaponry. However, it still did not have functioning shields. Which is evident by the necessity to have shield generators on the planet of bastardized Wookies. The rebel alliance could not fly into the second death star to attack the core with that shield generator still up.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #324
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    might have been a reference to 'physical' shields, like doors, as opposed to 'force' shields.
    There were no doors on the hangar bay...

    ...and they referenced opeing a magnetic field at the beginning of the quote, not physical doors, which incidentally is the same magnetic field the fighters had to pass through in order to attack.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 11-03-10 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  5. #325
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Obviously the Federation. The Empire can't seem to build anything that some random dirt farming kid can't blow up with an X-Wing.
    Star Destroyers don't require a quirky Scottish mechanic to devise unconventional and effective last-minute solutions to dire problems and tweak their reactor output every few parsecs.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  6. #326
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    "You're WRONG! The Federation will automatically see a new threat and uncharacteristically instantly order every single one of their ships to warp because they, in seconds, have determined an enemy's strategy, strengths and weaknesses and have decided this is the best way to counter them! They will also, while navigating at these excessive speeds easily avoid collisions with the enemy warships and each other. Oh, and all their planets and star bases will instantly go to warp too so you can't land invading forces on them. Duh!"


    I've tried to explain it to them. We're wasting our collective breath, my friend.
    While I fully understand sarcasm, the part I bolded is, in point of fact, exactly what Federation starships do on a continual basis.

    During warp flight, the Conn console continually updated long-range sensor data and makes automatic course corrections to adjust for minor variations in the density of the interstellar medium. (Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual)
    Such minor variations could be planets, stars, ships, etc.

  7. #327
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Fully armed and operational was in reference to the main Death Star cannon.
    doubtful or the emporer wouldn't have phrased it "fully armed and operational" if he was only referring to the cannon. if it was fully armed, it would've been redundant to also say "operational". if the cannon wasn't operational then it wasn't fully armed. the battlestation was fully armed..........AND operational

    However, it still did not have functioning shields. Which is evident by the necessity to have shield generators on the planet of bastardized Wookies. The rebel alliance could not fly into the second death star to attack the core with that shield generator still up.
    exactly and nothing shown on screen indicates that the deathstar had or would have independent shield capability without the generator on the planet.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #328
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    There were no doors on the hangar bay...

    ...and they referenced opeing a magnetic field at the beginning of the quote, not physical doors, which incidentally is the same magnetic field the fighters had to pass through in order to attack.
    the same magnetic field that the fighters in EP4 penetrated so very easily
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #329
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    This is wrong. Big ships donít have enough firepower to bring down a Death Star, by fighters do? :
    big ships can't fly through the interior of the DS to hit the ridiculously unstable reactor, the fighters can
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #330
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    While I fully understand sarcasm, the part I bolded is, in point of fact, exactly what Federation starships do on a continual basis.



    Such minor variations could be planets, stars, ships, etc.
    I understand that they can make "minor variations" but I'm referring to the logistics of coordinating simultaneous warp jumps with hundreds of Federation starships (I assume they have that many at least) moving on multiple attack vectors, executing hard turns through thousands of tightly grouped Imperial battle formations without dropping to sub-light at all and thereby exposing themselves to return fire. Could they do it it? Possibly. My argument was that since they have never demonstrated that tactic on a large scale under those circumstances before, they'd be unlikely to suddenly change their standard tactics of engagement in favor of something so risky without knowing a lot more about their opponents.

    ...and your source is from TNG, which Goobie has rejected as canon.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •