View Poll Results: In a war between the Federation and the Empire, who wins?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Empire

    22 46.81%
  • Federation

    25 53.19%
Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 429

Thread: Federation v Empire

  1. #281
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    it was guided into the port by the force, not all the way down as evidenced by Luke's reaction/relaxation as soon as it entered the shaft.
    Yet there is very clear on-screen evidence that it struck it's target. The Death Star exploded...
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  2. #282
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    So not only were the movies the only valid, acceptable source of info in the thread, but even that can’t be used now because the things you see on screen “can’t happen” in your expert opinion? You Trekkies are way overboard in your extrapolations and liberal interpretation of established events just to make a failed point.

    Every time there’s a flaw in your argument the rules of the game change. This is like trying to play a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors with the guy that makes the stick of dynamite with his index finger.

    I'm not trying to change any rulz. and if the damn torpedo had that capability...why was it so hard for the freakin computer to hit the target? if Luke was guiding it with the force...why did he relax as soon as it entered the shaft? and FYI/FWIW, I have stated from the beginning that I thought only events that appeared on screen should be valid for these type discussions. There are all kinds of fantastic Federation abilities I could bring to this arguement, pulled directly from the ass of some SciFi writer, if the floor is open to any and all sources.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #283
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Yet there is very clear on-screen evidence that it struck it's target. The Death Star exploded...
    just as there is very clear on screen evidence that the Death Star wasn't shielded. you can't have it both ways. lulz

    and before you cry "the 2nd death star was shielded"...let me point out that the shield was generated from the nearby forest moon of Endor and not the DS itself. how is the Empire going to manage to pull an entire planet along with it to generate a shield for the DS?

    or do you plan to argue that the Federation would allow the empire the time to enter SOL system and set up a shield generator on mars or venus so that the DS would be shielded during an attack against earth?
    Last edited by OscarB63; 11-03-10 at 03:57 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #284
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    The reason the rebels were not confronted with a swarm of TIE fighters right away was due to the fact that Tarkin thought they were not a serious threat. Against an entire fleet, like the Federation, the Empire would be less likely to make that same misjudgment.
    Given that the Imperials cannot shoot at the Fed ships, its irrelevant.

  5. #285
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I'm not trying to change any rulz. and if the damn torpedo had that capability...why was it so hard for the freakin computer to hit the target? if Luke was guiding it with the force...why did he relax as soon as it entered the shaft?
    Regardless of how it worked, we have conclusive evidence it did. Case closed.

    and FYI/FWIW, I have stated from the beginning that I thought only events that appeared on screen should be valid for these type discussions. There are all kinds of fantastic Federation abilities I could bring to this arguement, pulled directly from the ass of some SciFi writer, if the floor is open to any and all sources.
    This is initially exactly what I thought we were doing. I opened the floor wide and told the Trekkie populace to bring whatever they had against SW canon. Anything considered to be canon in any form and not directly refuted by other canon was fair game. Apparently I was wrong in that assumption...

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Given that the Imperials cannot shoot at the Fed ships, its irrelevant.
    Is there a broken record playing in this thread?
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 11-03-10 at 03:58 PM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  6. #286
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I'm not trying to change any rulz. and if the damn torpedo had that capability...why was it so hard for the freakin computer to hit the target? if Luke was guiding it with the force...why did he relax as soon as it entered the shaft? and FYI/FWIW, I have stated from the beginning that I thought only events that appeared on screen should be valid for these type discussions. There are all kinds of fantastic Federation abilities I could bring to this arguement, pulled directly from the ass of some SciFi writer, if the floor is open to any and all sources.
    The E4 scene explaining the plan for the attack illustrates what happened.
    The X-wing launched the torpedo in an parabolic arc, created by the forward velocity of the torpedo and the gravity of the DS. If done correctly, the torpedo will enough if its fowrd velocity to travel down the tube.

    This is the same method many US aircraft use to deliver nuclear weapons.

  7. #287
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by theangryamerican View Post
    Is there a broken record playing in this thread?
    Yes.. its you, forgetting that Imperal ships cannot engage FTL ships.
    Every time you forget, you'll be reminded.

  8. #288
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    just as there is very clear on screen evidence that the Death Star wasn't shielded. you can't have it both ways. lulz

    and before you cry "the 2nd death star was shielded"...let me point out that the shield was generated from the nearby forest moon of Endor and not the DS itself. how is the Empire going to manage to pull an entire planet along with it to generate a shield for the DS?

    or do you plan to argue that the Federation would allow the empire the time to enter SOL system and set up a shield generator on mars or venus so that the DS would be shielded during an attack against earth?
    Cite your "conclusive evidence."

    The second Death Star had shield generators as well but was using a planetary shield during construction, as it was not yet fully operational.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  9. #289
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Yes.. its you, forgetting that Imperal ships cannot engage FTL ships.
    Every time you forget, you'll be reminded.
    Cite for me ONE episode where a major battle was fought by one side being in warp for the entirety of the battle in TOS and I'll concede your point. All on screen evidence shows the contrary. You've been called on this several times and refused to accept it.
    Last edited by theangryamerican; 11-03-10 at 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

  10. #290
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Federation v Empire

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    The E4 scene explaining the plan for the attack illustrates what happened.
    The X-wing launched the torpedo in an parabolic arc, created by the forward velocity of the torpedo and the gravity of the DS. If done correctly, the torpedo will enough if its fowrd velocity to travel down the tube.

    This is the same method many US aircraft use to deliver nuclear weapons.
    smoking crack dude. and BTW, FWIW, FYI, I did not bring this up as an arguement for/against the Empire for the purposes of this discussion. I just thought it happened to be a glaring hole in the story.

    on screen, the torpedoes made a dramatic downward turn into the shaft. there is no way you can explain that using trajectories, the should have impacted against the back of the shaft. the only way that could have possibly happened is if instead of an exhaust port it was an intake port and the torpedoes were moving slowly and were sucked into the shaft. given the physical laws governing the SW universe, there is no way in hell that shot should have been effective. just sayin...
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 29 of 43 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •