View Poll Results: Did all the great ideas of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries need government?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe is absolutely correct

    10 19.61%
  • Joe is absolutely incorrect

    34 66.67%
  • Other (Explain)

    7 13.73%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 128

Thread: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    *I* am the partisan.
    yup. see my other posts. I doubt you'll bother, since they most likely clash with your perceptions of reality.

  2. #52
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    140

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    Only Al Gore gets credit for the Internet.
    Now in all fairness to Al - he really didn't say that he invented the Internet. (But I'll bet dollars to donuts he thinks about it from time to time.)

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post


    I guess words and phrases just mean whatever you want them to mean. That's pretty convenient. Totally insane, but convenient.

    There's not much more to say to you if you aren't willing to recognize the agreed-upon definitions of words.
    Pretty convenient to take things to an absurd degree of literal you could never apply in real life because it suits your argument in an internet forum.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    What we HAVE said, is that PRIVATE ENTERPRISE has been and always will be the driving force behind MOST important discoveries, inventions and ideas. Only a few here seem to think otherwise.
    "Important" Like the mach 3 razor

  5. #55
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post

    Certainly no argument there. That doesn't mean that government played no important role.



    I posted what I considered the most important modern inventions, and highlighted the significant role government played in each of them. Since you must have missed them, here they are again:

    1. Automobiles (interstate highway system)
    2. Airplanes (airports)
    3. The internet (DARPA)
    4. Television (FCC assigning broadcast channels)
    5. Telephone (phone lines infrastructure - joint public/private effort)
    6. Electricity (power grid)
    7. Plumbing (public sanitation/sewer systems)
    8. Antibiotics (large public health campaigns)
    9. High-yield crops (public R&D)
    The other way to look at these items you posted are that they are some of the most highly regulated, taxed and skimmed money makers for government. These regulations have given the government the excuse to increase the size of the bureaucracy by leaps and bounds. For example, the FCC regulating access to the internet, as well as Television and Radio. Yet, the government did little to actually incentivize the CREATION of radio and television. The only thing I can credit them with is identifying these things as money makers and then regulating them and increasing their power over them. Then we have airplanes --- TSA, FAA, and a few more alphabet soup organizations. Telephone? FCC again. Electricity - well the EPA is involved recently, and of course there's the Dept. of Energy. Antibiotics? There's tons of health organizations doing oversight and control over anything from asprin to drugs used for lethal injections.

    I'm not saying the FAA isn't needed, or that the Dept. of Energy is a waste ... certainly a portion of these regulations are for safety and there are positives that go along with them. The by product though, is a vast bureaucracy regulating every and all things. There is not, one thing in your or anyone's house in the United States that is not regulated. From stuffed animals, to the timber or wall board, light bulbs, computer, and paint --- ALL of it is regulated. I submit all of that power is not needed and to go full circle back to the original point --- those regulations are not incentives for the creation of the product or that government can take credit for invention or innovations that were put forth. Government simply stepped in and passed laws regulating these things primarily to make money on them, and secondarily to claim such regulations are required for "safety" reasons. Therefore government, according to Pete Stark, can do anything they want.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #56
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    since we are waxing poetic, let's also talk up all the great progress man made with slave labor too.

    Great things can be accomplished when you force people to do things against their will, but I don't see why people are so proud of that fact.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    "Important" Like the mach 3 razor
    Don't mock the Mach. Anyway, that's one of hndreds upon hundreds of great ideas that the federal government had zip to do with.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The other way to look at these items you posted are that they are some of the most highly regulated, taxed and skimmed money makers for government. These regulations have given the government the excuse to increase the size of the bureaucracy by leaps and bounds. For example, the FCC regulating access to the internet, as well as Television and Radio. Yet, the government did little to actually incentivize the CREATION of radio and television. The only thing I can credit them with is identifying these things as money makers and then regulating them and increasing their power over them. Then we have airplanes --- TSA, FAA, and a few more alphabet soup organizations. Telephone? FCC again. Electricity - well the EPA is involved recently, and of course there's the Dept. of Energy. Antibiotics? There's tons of health organizations doing oversight and control over anything from asprin to drugs used for lethal injections.

    I'm not saying the FAA isn't needed, or that the Dept. of Energy is a waste ... certainly a portion of these regulations are for safety and there are positives that go along with them. The by product though, is a vast bureaucracy regulating every and all things. There is not, one thing in your or anyone's house in the United States that is not regulated. From stuffed animals, to the timber or wall board, light bulbs, computer, and paint --- ALL of it is regulated. I submit all of that power is not needed and to go full circle back to the original point --- those regulations are not incentives for the creation of the product or that government can take credit for invention or innovations that were put forth. Government simply stepped in and passed laws regulating these things primarily to make money on them, and secondarily to claim such regulations are required for "safety" reasons. Therefore government, according to Pete Stark, can do anything they want.
    Outstanding response post.

  9. #59
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Pretty convenient to take things to an absurd degree of literal you could never apply in real life because it suits your argument in an internet forum.
    Yeah, silly words and their meanings. What was I thinking?

  10. #60
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Joe Biden: Great ideas of the last 200 years needed government

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Did all of those great ideas need government vision and government incentive?
    Absolutely not.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •