View Poll Results: Which should be taught in school science classes?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evolution

    80 78.43%
  • Intelligent Design

    1 0.98%
  • Creationism

    0 0%
  • Every theory in this area

    11 10.78%
  • Only these 3 or 2 of these three

    3 2.94%
  • None of these

    4 3.92%
  • Other

    3 2.94%
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 314

Thread: Which should be taught in school science classes?

  1. #221
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Now I actually believe somewhat in intelligent design, but also recognize that it is a belief without evidence to support it. Of course, my own beliefs on ID probably differ greatly on how most believe in ID. In fact, I probably would describe my beliefs as a hybrid between ID and Natural Selection.

    I think that we should only teach evidence-supported science to students and allow them to decide for themselves if they accept that evidence, completely reject it, or develop their own ideas and theories based on that evidence and/or their own beliefs.
    That's about where I am on it, although I think the discussions about the birth of the universe and origin of man tend to be more philosophical in nature rather than scientific.

  2. #222
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by marduc View Post
    look a new strawman
    Did you, or did you not say that a lot of microevolutions become macroevolution?
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  3. #223
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Which should be taught in school science classes?You can probably knock crap like this off or be removed from this thread. Talk about the topic, don't make insulting comments to others
    Amazing, and no response to Anarcho's "This just reads like gibberish to me." attack on my post?
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  4. #224
    Educator
    Anarcho-fascist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    T E X A S !
    Last Seen
    09-26-14 @ 11:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,069
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Amazing, and no response to Anarcho's "This just reads like gibberish to me." attack on my post?
    Admit that Darwin said the fossil record should be very incomplete.

  5. #225
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Did you, or did you not say that a lot of microevolutions become macroevolution?
    Did I say humans evolved from bacteria? there is your straw man, This is an argument I did not make, nor would have since we did not evolve from bacteria which is a prokaryotic when we are eukaryotic.

    when the changes in 2 lines of decent reach the point where they can no longer produce viable fertile offspring you have speciation and macroevolution. This usually requires numerous cumulative changes, or instances of micro evolution - which is change below the species level.

    Go revisit and read the ring species article Anarcho provided you, these are prime examples of when micro evolution adds up to become macro. Populations on either end can no longer interbreed, this is macroevolution as a sum total of cumulative changes below the species level (microevolution).
    Last edited by marduc; 10-28-10 at 12:19 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  6. #226
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,068

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    You are the one who brought up the common fallacy that enough microevolution will result in a bacteria turning into a human.
    Ok, what's the difference between an ape and a human that couldn't possible have come about through alot of tiny changes that occurred through environmental circumstance and microevolution? What makes us so different that we couldn't possibly have shared a common ancestor? Is it because they have too much hair? Not enough folds in the brain? Shorter than us? Don't have as much balance on two feet as us?

  7. #227
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Ok, what's the difference between an ape and a human that couldn't possible have come about through alot of tiny changes that occurred through environmental circumstance and microevolution? What makes us so different that we couldn't possibly have shared a common ancestor? Is it because they have too much hair? Not enough folds in the brain? Shorter than us? Don't have as much balance on two feet as us?
    Roughdraft, you probably have a good point. Humans and monkeys are very similar. We both have hands, feet, eyes, noses, mouths, etc and some of us are almost as hairy as your average monkey. I have a good way you can prove your theory: go have sex with a monkey, any monkey, maybe several to see which is most similar to a human, and see if you can produce offspring. Then explain to me how sex organs microevolved at precisely the same time for men and women so that humans can have babies, but not with their ancestors who are so darn similar.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  8. #228
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,068

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Roughdraft, you probably have a good point. Humans and monkeys are very similar. We both have hands, feet, eyes, noses, mouths, etc and some of us are almost as hairy as your average monkey. I have a good way you can prove your theory: go have sex with a monkey, any monkey, maybe several to see which is most similar to a human, and see if you can produce offspring. Then explain to me how sex organs microevolved at precisely the same time for men and women so that humans can have babies, but not with their ancestors who are so darn similar.
    So in other words you can't think of a single thing.

    You're thinking in terms of individuals when you must think of groups with evolution. Lets say there's two groups of identical monkeys. They end up in different areas. One area is hotter and one is colder. The hotter area might mean that monkeys with sacks that droop down more away from there body are much more fertile. These monkeys have more babies and those traits are passed on. If enough of these traits are accumulated, along with many other traits over millions of years, these two groups of monkeys will look amazingly different and after a long enough period you will have two separate species.

    I ask my question again, and request that you don't ask me to go and **** monkeys, what's the difference between monkeys and humans that means we couldn't share a common ancestor. What can't evolution explain?

  9. #229
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    A theory is has to be supported by evidence or it is not a theory. This is how I would support using creationism/ID in science classes, to illustrate that point. Evolution is a theory, creationism and ID are not. Knowing the difference is important for some one studying science.
    Not all agree with you.
    Those people, right or wrong, must be respected.
    I, for one, am NOT sold on anything 100%.
    Man probably knows 0.1% of what there is to know.
    So, a little time, an hour should suffice, to present the possibility of "creation".

  10. #230
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    Re: Which should be taught in school science classes?

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I ask my question again, and request that you don't ask me to go and **** monkeys,
    Not even for science?

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •