View Poll Results: Pick one

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I expec the same in kind if I partake in aggressive behavior

    17 48.57%
  • No, I believe my gender excuses me from paying consequences

    15 42.86%
  • I don't like either of the above options - here is my answer

    1 2.86%
  • It depends on what aggressive behavior I am taking part in

    2 5.71%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 129

Thread: Women of DP - I ask you

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You need to add in a variable for how much damage your response would do to that particular person before you can say whether that response would be proportional. You can potentially hit two people with the same force and just bruise one of their cheeks while breaking the neck of the other. If you were to punch Mike Tyson as hard as you could right in the head you'd probably barely get his attention, but if you were to punch a 90 year old or a 4 month old baby in the head as hard as you could, you might very well kill them. Where the person falls on that spectrum is a huge variable in determining what kind of force, if any, is appropriate.

    Including that variable, in theory I would agree with your general principle, but the reality is in real life that the vast majority of times a woman hitting a man is likely to do fairly limited to no damage and a man hitting a woman is likely to do a great deal more damage, potentially permenant damage, so that would not be a proportional response. And, the reality is that people don't think through this whole calculus about what kind of threat they face and what kind of response would do what sort of damage and whatnot in the heat of the moment. They respond more out of instinct. So, if you're going to set your instinct one way or another, better to set it to "don't hit women period" than "hit back" because the vast majority of the time hitting back would be disproportionate.

    Good post, and a number of good points.

    Now, please don't think I mean this flippantly, because I dont, BUT: If women would refrain from hitting men, they wouldn't have to worry about being HIT BACK "too hard".

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #62
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Good post, and a number of good points.

    Now, please don't think I mean this flippantly, because I dont, BUT: If women would refrain from hitting men, they wouldn't have to worry about being HIT BACK "too hard".
    Definitely. Nobody hitting anybody is certainly the best possible situation.

    And, there really are serious situations where a woman does serious damage to a man physically. That is a real problem. There are abusive relationships where the woman is the abuser, there are situations with weapons, there are just stone cold crazy chicks that are as violent as any guy. I don't want to minimize that.

    But, still, for general purposes, I think having a first instinct that says "don't hit women period" is the best bet. If after thinking about it a bit you think that you really are in danger and need to hit back to protect yourself or something, hey, at least you will have thought it through first before you end up doing something you'll regret.
    Last edited by teamosil; 10-27-10 at 07:22 PM.

  3. #63
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Just interjecting -- the rule is that a man should never strike a lady. Not all women are ladies. Men should assume that a woman is a lady, but if she shows that she is not, all bets are off.
    I disagree. If a woman hits me first, I'm going to do everything in my power to defend myself and ensure she commits no further violence against me. No matter her class or behaviors.

    A vagina is not a license to commit assault or battery.

  4. #64
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I disagree. If a woman hits me first, I'm going to do everything in my power to defend myself and ensure she commits no further violence against me. No matter her class or behaviors.

    A vagina is not a license to commit assault or battery.
    THANK YOU!

    Finally!!
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  5. #65
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Good post, and a number of good points.

    Now, please don't think I mean this flippantly, because I dont, BUT: If women would refrain from hitting men, they wouldn't have to worry about being HIT BACK "too hard".
    That's the point.

    If you don't want to be hit - then don't hit anyone.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  6. #66
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Just interjecting -- the rule is that a man should never strike a lady. Not all women are ladies. Men should assume that a woman is a lady, but if she shows that she is not, all bets are off.
    Define 'lady' - too dainty to bring harm to someone else? Too ditsy to think of a way of handling emotion without physical alteration. Or someone who just dresses pretty?
    If someone's a 'lady' (behavior wise) then she wouldn't be shoving or hiting to begin with.

    The other day someone in my Law class was telling me how he caught his wife cheating - and how he waged a physical fight against teh guy she was shacking up with.
    I honestly questioned why he didn't beat HER ass and not the guy's.

    He said 'because she'd have my balls in court if I did that, that's why'

    So - he refrained. Was she a lady? No.
    But was she in the position to be dominant? Yes.
    and note: the REASON why he had to consider her possible power in this situation is BECAUSE she's a female and many people STILL cling to that ancient-taboo.

    I, however, don't believe behavior, attitude, personality, clothing or gender acts as a barrier - physical altercation is physical altercation and *only rarely* is it acceptable. In self defense? It is ALWAYS acceptable - tits or no tits.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 10-27-10 at 08:42 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #67
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    I disagree. If a woman hits me first, I'm going to do everything in my power to defend myself and ensure she commits no further violence against me. No matter her class or behaviors.

    A vagina is not a license to commit assault or battery.
    A lady would not initiate physical violence. If a woman did so, she is definitely not a lady. Thus, your viewpoint does not really contradict mine.

  8. #68
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    If someone's a 'lady' (behavior wise) then she wouldn't be shoving or hiting to begin with.
    That is precisely my point.

  9. #69
    User Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-20-10 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    35

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Looking at the poll it's hard to believe the results only came from females.

    I'll base my answer on the fact that I'm not defending myself from an attack. If I were of the nature to start something, then you better believe I should have to back it up.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Women of DP - I ask you

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Thanks for posting that.

    I've been saying this for some time, that it had been my experience that many cases when a man is charged with CDV, it was a reaction to having been screamed at for half an hour then hit repeatedly by the woman. (Many... not all. I'd say at least 1/3rd).
    You know I worked for a police agency, and you know what population I've worked with. Probably 7 times out of 10, when there was an incident of domestic violence with the population I served, the woman initiated the violence, and the men responded with greater force.

    What I told my daughter (and my son): Real men AND real women don't hit their partners. There are circumstances where physical violence becomes the only possible reaction, but it damn sure isn't with the person you love.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 10-28-10 at 12:51 AM.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •