View Poll Results: Would you support a mandatory service when a person turns 21 or 18?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    97 53.30%
  • No

    74 40.66%
  • Other

    6 3.30%
  • Rootabega

    5 2.75%
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
Results 261 to 269 of 269

Thread: Mandatory military service?

  1. #261
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    kinda like the government forcing you to pay taxes,
    They aren't forcing you into servitude. They're taking part of the fruits ts of your labor, something the constitution specifically allows.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    or telling you what you can or cannot do on your own property because there is some endangered fungus growing on a rock in your backyard...
    Telling you what to do with something does not constitute forcing you into service of something.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #262
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obamanator View Post
    -- Nobody knows how they will respond until faced with the horror of it.
    Yeah, agree the basic premise however most conscript armies around the world usually drag in people who are less likely to fight. I repeat in case you were a draftee - that I am not making the case against ALL drafted recruits. We gave up compulsory military service 50 years ago in the UK for very good reason and went instead for smaller, professional forces and that's my experience.

    I'd rather face hell with a fellow volunteer than with a conscript though and even then, I don't mean any hostility people who were drafted recruits.

  3. #263
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Oh didn't I mention? My father was a veteran of WWII and Korea and ended his 22 year career as a drill sergant.

    Of course that doesn't mean he quit being a drill SGT.


    So how does that answer my question again? Do you talk to him about military folk the way you talk to us, chief?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #264
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Would you support a mandatory service when a person turns 21 or 18?
    Not just no but hell no and you wont find many in the military supporting the notion. Not unless we can go back to smacking the **** out of them when they step out of line.

  5. #265
    Professor
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    So how does that answer my question again? Do you talk to him about military folk the way you talk to us, chief?
    No, he died when I was 13. I totally idolized him though and I wanted to join the military and his advice was; "you'll get killed, someone like me will order you to charge a machine gun nest and if you don't do it he'll shoot you himself."

    And you should probably know that he didn't think Vietnam (or Korea for that matter) was a 'real' war and he wouldn't think Iraq and Afghanistan were either. I suppose it has to do with body count or the fact that 'total annihilation' is off the table these days...

    I don't share his views though, he was also a racist and homophobe.

    Oh yeah and I was basically verbally abused on a daily basis because an 8 year old can't do everything perfectly. So I guess I was being broken down into a self loathing little jerk and missed the reward of graduating into someone he would be proud of had he been able to complete his torment or whatever he was doing.

    But after he died I started smoking and drinking then I went to marajuana and LSD. Started hanging out with skate-punks and hating highschool jocks...

    Take from that what you will.
    Last edited by Saboteur; 11-08-10 at 06:30 PM.
    “We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.”
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

  6. #266
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    No, he died when I was 13. I totally idolized him though and I wanted to join the military and his advice was; "you'll get killed, someone like me will order you to charge a machine gun nest and if you don't do it he'll shoot you himself."

    And you should probably know that he didn't think Vietnam (or Korea for that matter) was a 'real' war and he wouldn't think Iraq and Afghanistan were either. I suppose it has to do with body count or the fact that 'total annihilation' is off the table these days...

    I don't share his views though, he was also a racist and homophobe.

    Oh yeah and I was basically verbally abused on a daily basis because an 8 year old can't do everything perfectly. So I guess I was being broken down into a self loathing little jerk and missed the reward of graduating into someone he would be proud of had he been able to complete his torment or whatever he was doing.

    But after he died I started smoking and drinking then I went to marajuana and LSD. Started hanging out with skate-punks and hating highschool jocks...

    Take from that what you will.


    What i take from it is your resentment for your father dying is taken out with cheap shots at the military. Add to that resentment of successful folk and cowering behind drugs to escape. I have all i need to know here abou you and your motives.




    Edit to add. You are precisely the reason we should not have mandatory service. Not only could you not cut it. But if you made to being assigned to. A unit, your liability to those honorably serving would be fartoo great.
    Last edited by ReverendHellh0und; 11-08-10 at 06:48 PM.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #267
    Professor
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    What i take from it is your resentment for your father dying is taken out with cheap shots at the military. Add to that resentment of successful folk and cowering behind drugs to escape. I have all i need to know here abou you and your motives.
    Well I don't really resent successful people, my dad didn't finish highschool, lied about his age and joined the Army. Before he died our family owned a successful masonry plant... we had enough money to travel for 2 months out of every summer.

    Otherwise you're right, except it was anger not resentment and we all know anger is a secondary emotion most often triggered by fear.
    Last edited by Saboteur; 11-08-10 at 07:03 PM.
    “We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.”
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

  8. #268
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur View Post
    Well I don't really resent successful people, my dad didn't finish highschool, lied about his age and joined the Army. Before he died our family owned a successful masonry plant... we had enough money to travel for 2 months out of every summer.

    Otherwise you're right, except it was anger not resentment and we all know anger is a secondary emotion most often triggered by fear.

    So what are you afraid of that makes you so angry at me?
    Not so. Anger is a secondary emotion most often triggered by pain...not fear. Anxiety is the by-product of fear.

  9. #269
    Professor
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Not so. Anger is a secondary emotion most often triggered by pain...not fear. Anxiety is the by-product of fear.
    Hmm, interesting....

    Question retracted.
    “We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.”
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •