View Poll Results: Would you support a mandatory service when a person turns 21 or 18?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    97 53.30%
  • No

    74 40.66%
  • Other

    6 3.30%
  • Rootabega

    5 2.75%
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 269

Thread: Mandatory military service?

  1. #231
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    @ FluffyNinja
    Seriously?
    Ancient Rome went through stages: Roman Kingdom, Roman Republic and then the Roman Empire.
    America is entering the last stages of the republic, yes.
    So, a Republic and an Empire cannot be one and the same or exist simultaneously? Wow, I'm sure your PoliSci and History teachers are quite proud of you at this point. :
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #232
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Ask not what you can do for your country, ask, "Where's my gubmint jerb?"
    Was this meant to be some sort of lame jab at my sig line or something? Sadly, you FAIL
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  3. #233
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    No, I don't fail. This massive bureaucratic nightmare of a government handout, specifically a job with training and other benefits for EVERYONE, is antithetic to your sig. You want everyone to get free training and financial security for a number of years and the infrastructure and professional/training personel to handle this herculean task of giving EVERYONE a gumbint jerb. The hilarious part will be when immigrants start taking our jerbs. That will be an outrage. "They're takin' our gubmint jerbs!"

    Sigh. To fight handouts and want to serve as everyone's first (training supplying) employer. Just sigh.


    Further, the idea that we use people of ~20 years old only shows your disregard for actual, quality service to the nation and lays naked this gargantuan entitlement program for what it is. If you really wanted some kind of service to the nation, you would use people who were 30-40 years old and have some kind of education, experience or discipline to be more useful than a subsidized trainee. It's Big Nanny - Big, Fat, Rolling out of Bed Granny. Stop it.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 11-06-10 at 05:03 AM.

  4. #234
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by peepnklown View Post
    @ FluffyNinja
    Seriously?
    Ancient Rome went through stages: Roman Kingdom, Roman Republic and then the Roman Empire.
    America is entering the last stages of the republic, yes.
    Of course, it depends on whether you are talking about Empire in the classic/political sense (as in an autocratic system ruled by an emperor) or in the geographical/territorial sense (as in the fact that Britain did not cease to be an empire even though it became a constitutional monarchy). Many would argue that the US indeed became an "Empire" following our territorial gains after the Spanish-American war
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  5. #235
    Educator Compatibilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bunkered in 5 klicks from city hall
    Last Seen
    04-23-15 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    775

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Finally, I really don't want to come across as insensitve here and I have served in a combat zone, so I feel that I can speak with a degree of openness here, but....statistically speaking, you have a greater chance of being injured or killed by simply getting in a car and driving on a public highway, than you do serving on Active Duty in the military. Take the avg number of drivers on our highways each day and look at the percentage injured or killed in auto related accidents, then take the number of active duty military and look at the percentage of these injured or killed in combat daily and you'll see.
    I served in a combat zone and your point is well taken. In VN most of us were drafted and knew the risks in advance and also the alternatives to avoid them. I don't remember anyone in my unit who wanted to be there but we did our jobs and as expected and received the respect of our peers for it. Don't get me wrong... there were a few who either couldn't take it or else chose not too. From what I understand they were given a 212 "undesirable" discharge and were gone pretty quick. So even if you're drafted... it doesn't mean you are forced into combat.

  6. #236
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obamanator View Post
    I served in a combat zone and your point is well taken. In VN most of us were drafted and knew the risks in advance and also the alternatives to avoid them. I don't remember anyone in my unit who wanted to be there but we did our jobs and as expected and received the respect of our peers for it. Don't get me wrong... there were a few who either couldn't take it or else chose not too. From what I understand they were given a 212 "undesirable" discharge and were gone pretty quick. So even if you're drafted... it doesn't mean you are forced into combat.
    Thank you for your service - I mean that. I never really appreciated my own Dad's service in Nam til I was much older. It just really gets under my skin when some of these Left-Wingers reciting talking points, attempt to equate military service to a form of slavery, or to an automatic death sentence As I stated before, I never saw myself as a slave and my father, who was drafted and served 25 years, certainly didn't see it that way.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #237
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Thank you for your service - I mean that. I never really appreciated my own Dad's service in Nam til I was much older. It just really gets under my skin when some of these Left-Wingers
    Turtledude, Phattonez, and I are certainly not left wingers

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    reciting talking points, attempt to equate military service to a form of slavery, or to an automatic death sentence As I stated before, I never saw myself as a slave and my father, who was drafted and served 25 years, certainly didn't see it that way.
    No one's denying that it's honorable to serve, conscripted or not. We're just saying that it's morally wrong, on the government's part, to put you into a job without your choosing and force you to do it. This especially applies to front line duty.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  8. #238
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Turtledude, Phattonez, and I are certainly not left wingers
    Who said I was referring to you in particular? Defensive are we?



    No one's denying that it's honorable to serve, conscripted or not. We're just saying that it's morally wrong, on the government's part, to put you into a job without your choosing and force you to do it. This especially applies to front line duty.
    Are you also saying that it is a form of slavery? If not, then I'm not really taling about your views. You're certainly entitled to your own opinions regarding morality, but when one places a label such as "slavery" on a certain institution, I must bring into question whether or not said institution actually fits the legal description of slavery.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  9. #239
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Whatever mess we are in, we are all in it together. Those who avoid their responsibilities to their country but at he same time want to enjoy its bounty are slackers. Pure and simple....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #240
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Turtledude, Phattonez, and I are certainly not left wingers



    No one's denying that it's honorable to serve, conscripted or not. We're just saying that it's morally wrong, on the government's part, to put you into a job without your choosing and force you to do it. This especially applies to front line duty.
    kinda like the government forcing you to pay taxes, or telling you what you can or cannot do on your own property because there is some endangered fungus growing on a rock in your backyard...
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •