View Poll Results: Would you support a mandatory service when a person turns 21 or 18?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    97 53.30%
  • No

    74 40.66%
  • Other

    6 3.30%
  • Rootabega

    5 2.75%
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 269

Thread: Mandatory military service?

  1. #191
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    It appears that America has already had its one and only "greatest generation" and most of us who now enjoy the freedom and opportunities that they provided for us don't want to acknowledge their sacrifice, or be deserving of it.
    Who isn't acknowleding that?!

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #192
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taboon View Post
    Depends on how strong the military is. If it's stronger than it needs to be than it is wasteful. There are no blank checks when the revenues that support the services could possibly used for better purposes elsewhere. Defense is essential but to what extent it is used is another story.
    Same goes for entitlements, right?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    This does not answer the contention that forced labor is slavery.
    It isn't slavery if you get paid for it. Also...hyperbole much?

    Freedom requires slavery? Sounds odd, huh?
    Only because you're creating your own personal strawman.


    That's quote is about a right of rebellion, not about a right to a draft!
    The quote speaks to the ongoing need to protect freedom.

  4. #194
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Are children fully independent individuals? No. That said, I do have great qualms about children being forced to go to school. But the situation is a little different because this is about children and not adults.
    So now you're saying that freedoms (of which "your country" is a "bastion" and which are guaranteed by the Constitution) do not apply to minors? So you must be "fully independent" in order to enjoy these "freedoms" ? Where is that written? :
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 11-03-10 at 06:32 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  5. #195
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It isn't slavery if you get paid for it. Also...hyperbole much?
    Nice. I'll go find some hobo off the street, force him to clean my dishes at gunpoint, and then give him a dollar for it. That's not slavery, afterall.

    Only because you're creating your own personal strawman.
    What strawman, I merely rephrased what he said.

    The quote speaks to the ongoing need to protect freedom.
    Would Jefferson have seen slavery itself as tyranny (at least for a white man)?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #196
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    So now you're saying that freedoms (of which "your country" is a "bastion" and which are guaranteed by the Constitution) do not apply to minors? So you must be "fully independent" in order to enjoy these "freedoms" ? Where is that written? :
    As I alluded to before, my mind is not completely made up about that specific subject.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #197
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Nice. I'll go find some hobo off the street, force him to clean my dishes at gunpoint, and then give him a dollar for it. That's not slavery, afterall.



    What strawman, I merely rephrased what he said.



    Would Jefferson have seen slavery itself as tyranny (at least for a white man)?
    IIRC, from my history books and classes, he had misgivings about it. But in those days, it was the norm, and pretty much required if you had a large farm.
    Machinery did away with the need for slaves.
    Today, technology can do away with a lot of our need for warriors. If we change our ways of fighting, we can downsize our ground troop requirements a lot.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-15-11 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    61

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Would you support a mandatory service when a person turns 21 or 18?
    Not everyone is suited for military service; so my answer is I don't support mandatory service.

  9. #199
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by C-21 Cowboy View Post
    Not everyone is suited for military service; so my answer is I don't support mandatory service.
    At the same time, tho, the military cuts its own throat by not allowing minor handicapped people to volunteer....
    A good friend wanted to join the Army during the Korean war, AFTER paying his own way thru 2 years of auto mechanics school. He was near sighted, so they said no. Another friend, recent college graduate in engineering, was told he could enlist but could not be an officer, for slight color blindness.

    There are thousands of jobs that can be done in the rear echelon by people with minor handicaps, and we tell them no. It is stupid.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #200
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    At the same time, tho, the military cuts its own throat by not allowing minor handicapped people to volunteer....
    A good friend wanted to join the Army during the Korean war, AFTER paying his own way thru 2 years of auto mechanics school. He was near sighted, so they said no. Another friend, recent college graduate in engineering, was told he could enlist but could not be an officer, for slight color blindness.

    There are thousands of jobs that can be done in the rear echelon by people with minor handicaps, and we tell them no. It is stupid.

    dude...the recruiter that signed up my daughter was missing 2 fingers on his left hand and they had still let him in. these days you have to be almost legally blind to be disqualified and I have never heard of anyone being denied a commission due to color blindness. They didn't even ask me about it when I applied for commission and it hasn't been a part of the eye test for the last 5-6 years. there are a few jobs they won't let you do if you are colorblind.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •