View Poll Results: Would you support a mandatory service when a person turns 21 or 18?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    97 53.30%
  • No

    74 40.66%
  • Other

    6 3.30%
  • Rootabega

    5 2.75%
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 269

Thread: Mandatory military service?

  1. #171
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Yet nobody is forced to be a police officer. Nobody is forced to be a scientist. Nobody is forced to be a general. You get more people by giving them more benefits.
    That's like comparing apples to oranges. You're talking about careers. Generally speaking, those who have been drafted into US military service, got out once their term of service expired. If they remained as career military afterward, then, my friend, that was by choice
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #172
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    That's like comparing apples to oranges. You're talking about careers. Generally speaking, those who have been drafted into US military service, got out once their term of service expired. If they remained as career military afterward, then, my friend, that was by choice
    Involuntary servitude is involuntary servitude. I can understand the situation if we were a small country like Israel or in a bad situation like in WWII, but right now there is no real need.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  3. #173
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,814

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by amberdreams View Post
    Yes, absolutely! We would be more careful about our wars if there was mandatory service.
    that's not true--with a volunteer army, generals are far less apt to waste men than with conscripts



  4. #174
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    That's like comparing apples to oranges. You're talking about careers. Generally speaking, those who have been drafted into US military service, got out once their term of service expired. If they remained as career military afterward, then, my friend, that was by choice
    People never take temporary jobs as janitors? People don't have to get drafted to do that. They do it because the pay justifies the effort.

    Besides, the real issue is being avoided. Conscription is slavery, pure and simple.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #175
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    People never take temporary jobs as janitors? People don't have to get drafted to do that. They do it because the pay justifies the effort.

    Besides, the real issue is being avoided. Conscription is slavery, pure and simple.
    Then by your definition of slavery, the Compulsory School Attendance law is also slavery, right?
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #176
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,784

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    From my personal experience, seeing how much in dissaray many in the reserves are in general, mandatory service would only add to this problem.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #177
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendHellh0und View Post
    From my personal experience, seeing how much in dissaray many in the reserves are in general, mandatory service would only add to this problem.
    It varies from branch to branch and unit to unit. My particular unit, when activated in 1991 to serve a 1-year tour in Saudi, were a bit "rough" at first but ended up getting commendation medals for meritorious service. I think the training experience, in and of itself would be good for most.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    My country is supposed to be the bastion of freedom. Conscription is slavery, and antithetical to the supposed ideals of this country.
    Actually, your country is a constitutional republic. Requiring the citizens to serve that republic, in some form (Americorps/Peace Corps/Military Corps) is not at all antithetical to a republic. There are numerous examples of constitutional republics with mandatory public service for young adults. Israel is but one example.

    Furthermore, freedom isn't free. It comes at a cost. Your insistence that other people should pay that cost, lest you break a fingernail, is pretty repugnant.

    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed, from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

    -Thomas Jefferson (he's the dude who wrote the Declaration of Independence)
    Civics 101 should be required for all Americans, as well.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 11-03-10 at 12:30 PM.

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's not true--with a volunteer army, generals are far less apt to waste men than with conscripts
    That could be argued. However, generals work for the overall population. If anyone's kid can get drafted, there's going to be a huge public backlash against undue troop losses (i.e., the 1970s).
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 11-03-10 at 12:31 PM.

  10. #180
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Actually, your country is a constitutional republic. Requiring the citizens to serve that republic, in some form (Americorps/Peace Corps/Military Corps) is not at all antithetical to a republic.

    Civics 101 should be required for all Americans, as well.
    Civics should be continually taught in the currently most effective teaching format, the Reality Show....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •