View Poll Results: Would you support a mandatory service when a person turns 21 or 18?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    97 53.30%
  • No

    74 40.66%
  • Other

    6 3.30%
  • Rootabega

    5 2.75%
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 269

Thread: Mandatory military service?

  1. #111
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You really don't know how the military works.

    To train one nuclear power qualified person in the Navy it costs more than a million dollars. Just for one. When a Navy nuke gets out of school, they have enough knowledge and training in their background to get a pretty good job at pretty much any power plant, nuke or conventional, in the country plus other places dealing with construction, maintenance, and QA of power plants. Such an idea would absolutely cripple the Navy's fleet, since many nukes would just join for the free training, get out, and get a job with much better benefits and pay than the Navy. There would not be enough nukes left in the Navy to actually run the engine rooms of either the subs or the aircraft careers, all of which are nuclear powered.

    And this is just an example from one job in one branch of service. As an overall policy throughout the military, we would not have a lot of personnel left, especially not in the highly technical and/or highly undermanned jobs. It just wouldn't work.

    Besides, if someone absolutely wants out of the service now, they can do something that would get them a general or OTH discharge. Yeah, it would suck, but it's not like they wouldn't be able to live with it.
    and yet, the navy routinely kicks them out for lame reasons....
    we had a kid almost out of nuke prototype school in Idaho get booted because he was fat. he was fat when the school started, but they waited almost a year to tell him to lose the weight or get kicked out. he went on a double cheeseburger diet, got kicked out, waddled down the street to the operating contractor for the site, got hired at the Test Reactor where I was working at the time. another guy, after the long version of electronics A school, took advantge of the easy out program in 69-70 by admitting to smoking weed. He was in Vietnam at the time. I don't think he actually smoked weed until the program was announced. He took a general discharge that reverted to honorable if he stayed out of trouble for 6 months or a year or something like that. Next time I saw him was at the Enlisted club at Treasure Island, where I was going to electonics B school. I asked him what he was up to, said he was going to college to become an engineer, on the GI Bill. Seems that boot camp, full year of A school, and some C schools, and a few months in Vietnam got him the 2 year minimum to qualify for the GI Bill for education. Sometimes the military is so stupid....
    Last edited by UtahBill; 10-27-10 at 02:59 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #112
    Educator Compatibilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bunkered in 5 klicks from city hall
    Last Seen
    04-23-15 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    775

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    and yet, the navy routinely kicks them out for lame reasons....
    we had a kid almost out of nuke prototype school in Idaho get booted because he was fat. he was fat when the school started, but they waited almost a year to tell him to lose the weight or get kicked out. he went on a double cheeseburger diet, got kicked out, waddled down the street to the operating contractor for the site, got hired at the Test Reactor where I was working at the time. another guy, after the long version of electronics A school, took advantge of the easy out program in 69-70 by admitting to smoking weed. He was in Vietnam at the time. I don't think he actually smoked weed until the program was announced. He took a general discharge that reverted to honorable if he stayed out of trouble for 6 months or a year or something like that. Next time I saw him was at the Enlisted club at Treasure Island, where I was going to electonics B school. I asked him what he was up to, said he was going to college to become an engineer, on the GI Bill. Seems that boot camp, full year of A school, and some C schools, and a few months in Vietnam got him the 2 year minimum to qualify for the GI Bill for education. Sometimes the military is so stupid....
    What "easy out" program are you referring too? I was in Vietnam in 1970 and half my company was using one drug or another... and it was common knowledge to officers and nco's. The only discharge they gave to drug users was a "212" undesirable. Please provide reference for this.

  3. #113
    Educator Compatibilist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bunkered in 5 klicks from city hall
    Last Seen
    04-23-15 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    775

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    People should not be forced into service ever. It has happened in the past and it was a mistake.
    So it's fine with you if we're attacked again like at Pearl or worse... to just leave it up to volunteers to fight even if we need more soldiers to keep from losing a war. You would be OK with [as an example] the muslim world taking over the US?? Never say ever...

  4. #114
    User NSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    11-20-10 @ 10:59 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    17

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Absolutely not. This world needs less people trying to kill each other and spend more time trying to help with more important issues like world hunger and diseases.

  5. #115
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by NSR View Post
    Absolutely not. This world needs less people trying to kill each other and spend more time trying to help with more important issues like world hunger and diseases.
    Even if we follow this uber-pacifist approach, the absolute majority of the roles within the military still do not involve any form of combat in them.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  6. #116
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Obamanator View Post
    What "easy out" program are you referring too? I was in Vietnam in 1970 and half my company was using one drug or another... and it was common knowledge to officers and nco's. The only discharge they gave to drug users was a "212" undesirable. Please provide reference for this.
    probably just a navy thing....later on, late 70's, my younger brother got out after only 2 years of service....again, the Navy...
    I was in vietnam from spring of 69 to spring of 70....brown water navy support, an OLD LST supporting PBR's. Started out just below the bridge to Ben Luc....Long An province.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #117
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    If the flat tax were implemented with the current budget, the rate would have be at least 30%. Now add SS/Medicare, property tax, and so on.... and we're getting closer to 40%

    I'd have to engage in armed rebellion, because I couldn't feed my family and pay my bills on what would be left to me.

    So yeah, a flat tax would destroy society, because the lower-income 1/3rd of the country would have to rebel or starve.
    no it wouldn't. and it would stop the creeping crud that is ruining this country-the massive spread of government.



  8. #118
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Look at all the military spending cutters (mostly liberals) coming out of the woodwork in support of mandatory military service.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #119
    Dispenser of Negativity
    Cold Highway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
    Last Seen
    12-24-12 @ 11:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    9,596
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Military drafts are a form of slavery to the state, so I say HELL ****ING NO!
    Jackboots always come in matched pairs, a left boot and a right boot.

  10. #120
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,701

    Re: Mandatory military service?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Look at all the military spending cutters (mostly liberals) coming out of the woodwork in support of mandatory military service.
    its part of afflicting the comfortable disease they try to infect others with



Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •