View Poll Results: Star Trek or Star Wars?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • STAR TREK!

    32 36.78%
  • STAR WARS!

    39 44.83%
  • I like both equally

    14 16.09%
  • Neither!

    2 2.30%
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 209

Thread: Star Trek or Star Wars?

  1. #61
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    The reason why the Ferengi were portrayed as villians wasn't because they were capitalistic. During TNG, when Roddenberry was in control of production, he was set to make the Ferengi the big bads of the series, much like the Klingons were in TOS, and were initiatlly designed to be militaristic. Unfortunately, this was an epic fail. Their extreme capitalistic nature didn't really develop until DS9, when a Ferengi was a major cast member. With a Ferengi available in nearly every episode of a series, they had a chance to further develop the culture of the Ferengi, and decided to do it in a comedic way by making them aliens who worship capitalism to the extreme, which gave the Ferengi a way to develop into 3-dimensional characters instead of the run-of-the-mill baddie of the week they were at the start of TNG.

    AND STOP MAKING ME SHOW OFF MY NERD LORE!!!
    I bow to your knowledge, oh epic sage of nerd lore.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #62
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    The reason why the Ferengi were portrayed as villians wasn't because they were capitalistic. During TNG, when Roddenberry was in control of production, he was set to make the Ferengi the big bads of the series, much like the Klingons were in TOS, and were initiatlly designed to be militaristic. Unfortunately, this was an epic fail. Their extreme capitalistic nature didn't really develop until DS9, when a Ferengi was a major cast member. With a Ferengi available in nearly every episode of a series, they had a chance to further develop the culture of the Ferengi, and decided to do it in a comedic way by making them aliens who worship capitalism to the extreme, which gave the Ferengi a way to develop into 3-dimensional characters instead of the run-of-the-mill baddie of the week they were at the start of TNG.

    AND STOP MAKING ME SHOW OFF MY NERD LORE!!!
    Youre 100% correct. Ferengi were laughable when they came out. They looked ridiculous! I remember people makingg fun of them actually. But I agree with what the other guy posted, Feregni are the MiddleEastern Jews and Klingons were the Russian blacks. In fact I read it somewhere on the internet regarding this same topic. The Vulcans were the Japanese and the Romulans were the CHinese. Something like that.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  3. #63
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Neither. Mass Effect.

    Both between the two.

    They both have checkered pasts. The new Star Trek film was phenomenal, but I'm looking forward to Star Wars: The Old Republic than the sequel.

    YouTube - Star Wars: The Old Republic - "Hope" Cinematic Trailer
    The Old Republic is AMAZING, but I'd have personally preferred if it was like kotor, rather than an MMO like WoW. Also, the Betrayal cinematic trailer is pretty epic too

    And Mass Effect is by far the greatest RPG universe ever made. It's simply immense, and the freedom you have in the game is awesome (in the literal meaning of the word).
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  4. #64
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    The Old Republic is AMAZING, but I'd have personally preferred if it was like kotor, rather than an MMO like WoW. Also, the Betrayal cinematic trailer is pretty epic too

    And Mass Effect is by far the greatest RPG universe ever made. It's simply immense, and the freedom you have in the game is awesome (in the literal meaning of the word).
    I see where your coming from, though I think that its being a MMORPG will pay off in ways a solo-player RPG wouldn't. The sheer variety and amount of story and character driven gameplay it promises is staggering.

    YouTube - Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer

    One for the good guys.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 10-24-10 at 11:48 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #65
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    I see where your coming from, though I think that its being a MMORPG will pay off in ways a solo-player RPG wouldn't. The sheer variety and amount of story and character driven gameplay it promises is staggering.

    YouTube - Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer

    One for the good guys.
    I'm quite interested in that game.

    In a vaguely related matter, what's your take on the (apparently) upcoming Warhammer 40,000 MMORPG?

    That interests me to an extent as well.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #66
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    I see where your coming from, though I think that its being a MMORPG will pay off in ways a solo-player RPG wouldn't. The sheer variety and amount of story and character driven gameplay it promises is staggering.

    YouTube - Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer

    One for the good guys.
    Another good vs. evil Star Wars game.

    I wish they would make an expansive sand box Star Wars game.
    Like Fallout with space action on multiple planets.

    Not always about Dark side vs Light side.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Pffft SG-1 can do with a few people what it takes armies/flotillas of ships to do in either Star Trek or Star Wars.
    Look up a movie called Stuck, with Amanda Tapping, on YouTube. Trust me.

  8. #68
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    OK.... Star Trek is for the cerebral geek. Star Wars is more for...... children.
    Children? I don't think so.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    I love both equally, for different reasons. I was first introduced to Star Trek in 4th grade, when I met a kid on the playground tossing a tribble around. Been a fan ever since.

    Star Wars was the first movie I ever went to where I the audience cheered (destruction of the Death Star). I got back in line and saw it again immediately after that first show (it was May 26th, 1977... second night of release). Currently, I have an original Don Post Studios two-piece Darth Vader mask sitting on my desk at work, keeping the minions in check.

    EDIT: Also, is there a cooler weapon in the whole of science fiction-dom, than the light saber? I think not.

    Last Halloween, I went out with my 10 yr old.... I dressed as George W. Bush, Jedi Knight. Army fatigues, combat boots, a latex Bush mask, and a Force FX light saber (fully lit).
    Last edited by Whovian; 10-25-10 at 12:28 AM.

  10. #70
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Star Trek or Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    I see where your coming from, though I think that its being a MMORPG will pay off in ways a solo-player RPG wouldn't. The sheer variety and amount of story and character driven gameplay it promises is staggering.

    YouTube - Star Wars: The Old Republic Space Combat Trailer

    One for the good guys.
    I agree that the amount of gameplay with an MMO is way more then you could hope to have with a regular RPG, but I really don't like the notion of having to form raiding parties like in WoW, and having bosses that you can't beat on your own. And I also loved the story line of the first kotor game, and I wouldn't mind if they just continued that story (though they are indirectly).
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •