View Poll Results: Would you support a flat tax system instead of our current progressive one?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 54.29%
  • No

    23 32.86%
  • Maybe

    9 12.86%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 124

Thread: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

  1. #61
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Oh, really? Where in the Constitution does it say that?
    Federalist #10 comes to mind....

  2. #62
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I am a part of an advanced society and I help to maintain that society. The existence of this advanced society created the situation that allowed you to make that dollar. Therefore I am at least partially responsible for you earning it.
    actually, given that the rich are also the more productive, they have helped to maintain that society far more than someone who (all else being equal) makes far less. if anything, this logic is reason to have a regressive tax system.

  3. #63
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,590

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    TurtleDude Standard Post #3: "Everyone pay attention to me! Look at how rich I am!"

    Get some new material.
    jealous much? I mentioned nothing about my wealth just that I suspect I give more than you do. try again



  4. #64
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Again, here are the U.S. Treasury Data which unfortunately do not confirm your claim. The Bush tax rate cuts went into effect in July 2003
    First of all, you're wrong. They started in 2001 and continued to drop until 2003. And second of all, you still didn't ****ing control for inflation. I'm just going to ignore anything that you post in CURRENT dollars instead of CONSTANT dollars from now on, because it's obvious that you don't understand even the most basic principles of economics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Now I am still waiting for you to explain how tax revenue increased AFTER the Bush tax cuts and stop posting what you think they should have been. That flies in the face of logic and common sense because you cannot prove predictions.
    After the Bush tax cuts? How long after are you talking about? Adjusting for inflation, we didn't reach the 2000 level of tax revenue again until 2006/2007. And we haven't reached that level of revenue again since then.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-22-10 at 03:04 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #65
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,590

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually, given that the rich are also the more productive, they have helped to maintain that society far more than someone who (all else being equal) makes far less. if anything, this logic is reason to have a regressive tax system.
    plus if those who supply most of the votes for irresponsible spendthrift politicians were soaked more they might be more circumspect in their voting choices in the future



  6. #66
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    jealous much?
    Nah. Just because people find those who CONSTANTLY brag about their wealth to be annoying doesn't mean that they're jealous. Get over yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    I mentioned nothing about my wealth just that I suspect I give more than you do. try again
    You literally can't make it through a week without mentioning on this board how rich you are.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #67
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually, given that the rich are also the more productive, they have helped to maintain that society far more than someone who (all else being equal) makes far less. if anything, this logic is reason to have a regressive tax system.
    You are going to have to provide evidence that the rich are more productive and its is not a result of the money or power that they control.

  8. #68
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Not true, the govenment protects the wealthy far more that they protect the poor.
    shall we compare the percent of their income and benefits to see whether or not that is correct?

  9. #69
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    You are going to have to provide evidence that the rich are more productive and its is not a result of the money they control.
    1. if they are utiilizing their wealth to increase the productivity and strength of society, then that is them being more productive. they are free, if they so wished, to withdraw all that money from the bank and merely stuff it into mattresses. the attempt to split labour income and capital income creates a false dichotomy; both represent an individual utilizing his resources.

    2. how the heck do you think they got that money in the first place?

  10. #70
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Kandahar;1059054638]Why in the world would you post in the actual dollars at the time, without controlling for inflation? Just because the government takes in more dollars from one year to the next doesn't mean that they actually took in more revenue. Jesus Christ, take a freshman economics class and learn what inflation is.
    Because there was NO INFLATION then, I lived it, worked it and paid taxes during that period of time. Why 2005 dollars? People living and working during that period of time got to keep more of what they earned and weren't looking at it as inflated dollars nor did they care. What you refuse to explain is how do you cut taxes 25% over three years and almost double tax revenue?

    I see. Controlling for inflation in statistical comparisons of revenue over time = Liberal spin. Got it.
    Ignoring whose money it is in the first place is liberal spin and what you and others seem to love to do. Tax cuts are NOT expenses to the Federal Govt.

    Actually it's not. I posted the correct data, controlled for inflation. You posted some random **** including "Taxes on production and imports" that was completely unrelated to income tax cuts...and you didn't even control for inflation.
    Personal income went up, govt. revenue went up, GDP Doubled, and almost 20 million jobs were created during the Reagan term. Reagan won one of the largest landslides in U.S. History in 1984 which says a lot about his economic policies. It was about putting people back to work and Reagan did it with his tax cuts. Bush did the same thing.


    Yeah, you're a statistical genius. Rock on
    Thank you, sorry that actual facts get in the way of what you have been told. Waiting for you to explain how tax revenue went up AFTER the Reagan and Bush tax rate cuts? With record low interest rates please tell me you don't believe the inflation argument?

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •