View Poll Results: Would you support a flat tax system instead of our current progressive one?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 54.29%
  • No

    23 32.86%
  • Maybe

    9 12.86%
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 124

Thread: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I actually wish you did. I really do. But you have completely skipped the point of what was posted.
    Not at all, 47% of the income earners pay no Federal Income Taxes, the rich are paying a larger dollar amount and higher percentage of the taxes than before the Bush tax cuts, and the lower income wage earners are paying less in taxes. If you want more govt. revenue implement the flat tax so everyone is paying something and put 16 million Americans back to work.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Not at all, 47% of the income earners pay no Federal Income Taxes, the rich are paying a larger dollar amount and higher percentage of the taxes than before the Bush tax cuts, and the lower income wage earners are paying less in taxes. If you want more govt. revenue implement the flat tax so everyone is paying something and put 16 million Americans back to work.
    I repeat:

    . . . 47 percent has become shorthand for the notion that the wealthy face a much higher tax burden than they once did while growing numbers of Americans are effectively on the dole.

    Neither one of those ideas is true. They rely on a cleverly selective reading of the facts. So does the 47 percent number.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/bu...leonhardt.html

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I repeat:

    . . . 47 percent has become shorthand for the notion that the wealthy face a much higher tax burden than they once did while growing numbers of Americans are effectively on the dole.

    Neither one of those ideas is true. They rely on a cleverly selective reading of the facts. So does the 47 percent number.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/bu...leonhardt.html
    I got my information from the IRS. Apparently you believe the NY Times is more accurate.

  4. #104
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I got my information from the IRS. Apparently you believe the NY Times is more accurate.
    You didn't get any information that disputes this.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #105
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You didn't get any information that disputes this.
    My argument all along has been FEDERAL INCOME TAXES as all the other taxes mentioned are use taxes, Medicare, SS for example. Those come back to the taxpayer whereas Federal income taxes fund the govt. and services that 47% of the people use but don't pay for. Your article acknowledges that 47% don't pay and FEDERAL INCOME TAXES and the issue never was about the other taxes they do pay.

  6. #106
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Progressive taxation is needed for 2 primary reasons
    1) Lower income people spend a far higher proportion of the money on consumer spending, which is the primary driver of our economy.
    2) Lower income people tend to spend most of their money on basic needs and lowering their income would have a significant impact on social stability.

    Fairness, in either income earned or taxation is a pipe dream. With an all-so fair flat tax, it still runs into issues with how to treat capital gains, inheritance, and income earned overseas.
    an opinion i disagree with. a consumption tax is even better but the main evil is allowing politicians to buy the votes of the many by promising the wealth of the rich

    none of the tax hike advocates want to address that

    because it is undeniable that is how the left gets lots of votes



  7. #107
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Not true, the govenment protects the wealthy far more that they protect the poor.
    MOre complete crap--check any city or county's law enforcement logs and see where most of the calls come from and most of the emergency runs go to. 75% of those murdered are people with felony records-guess what income class most of those are. This is one of the biggest myths going. The poor use far more police and they clog up the jails far more

    I live in a wealthy area-we have had one murder in a couple years-it is a major event (mainly because the guy is being tried for the third time) Over the rhine area of cincinnati (poor appalachinans and blacks) had 100 murders in less than 2 years.

    the wealthy are far more mobile than the middle class and the poor.



  8. #108
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That's because 47% of the income earners earn essentially nothing as a proportion of national income.



    High income earners are paying more under the Bush tax cuts? How do you figure? The top rate was 39.6% in 2000, and it's now 35%.



    To which loopholes are you referring?
    more nonsense-the bottom 47% earn far more than 0 percent of the income. and they sure use alot more than 0% of the services the income taxes pay for.



  9. #109
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,561

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Except YOU literally do this.


    Oh the irony...
    can someone explain to me what he is braying about-I was bashing affirmative action, how does that contradict his claims about the rich having to pay more because they get more.



  10. #110
    User snodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    56

    Re: Flat tax or progressive tax? Which do you prefer?

    I'm in favor of a more progressive tax than we currently have. No one is an island of productivity, totally unreliant on others. Have you made no use of public services such as roads and other infrastructure in making your money? Did you invent all the technology used to produce your product or service? Did you create the trade routes that make one location more productive than another? What gives you the right to keep all this wealth which is not a result of your own labor? If you think you earned it all on your own go to Afghanistan and work your magic.

    The reality is that a welfare state has to exist in order to keep a degree of social order in tact. Without throwing a minimal amount of money at those who are down on their luck, a door is left open for robberies, murder, assault and other personal crimes because of a exceeding amount of social strain in those populations.

    Also the percentage of total income total taxes paid (FICA, Fed. income, state income, property, capital gains, sales taxes, etc.) by the wealthy is less than total taxes paid, as a percentage of income, by the middle class.
    Last edited by snodog; 10-23-10 at 10:06 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •