View Poll Results: Does it make you nervous?

Voters
347. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all.

    60 17.29%
  • Just a little bit.

    72 20.75%
  • Yes, very much so, but I'll get on the plane anyway.

    144 41.50%
  • Yes, very much so. I wouldn't get on the plane.

    71 20.46%
Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 391

Thread: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Name calling. Very nice.

    Just pointing out the fact that religious tolerance is a two-way street. It wasn't so long ago when the LDS wasn't too popular here ...
    This is exactly my point. Your freedoms are actually measured not by the rights you defend for yourself, but by the rights you defend for those you consider your ideological enemies.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 10-25-10 at 02:58 PM.

  2. #272
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    From an article in the LDS Church's Ensign Magazine...LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Temple Garment:
    tis a reminder and a symbol, nothing magical about that. literal =/= metaphorical plenty of real reasons to take issue against LDS without resorting to hype
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #273
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Actually Iraq was pretty wealthy under Saddam not to mention very few sectarian violence to the scale that happened a few years ago, it also had a booming middle class and many educated women of all faiths

    Correction...

    Saddam was pretty wealthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    tis a reminder and a symbol, nothing magical about that. literal =/= metaphorical plenty of real reasons to take issue against LDS without resorting to hype
    If you live amongst the LDS (and I did, for 10 years), you find that the average believer very much believes that garments have magical properties to prevent them from harm, injury, and/or sin.

    The point remains...why is a muslim wearing religious clothes scary, but a Catholic nun, a mormon, or a Greek orthodox priest wearing religious clothes = not scary?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 10-25-10 at 02:58 PM.

  5. #275
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If you live amongst the LDS (and I did, for 10 years), you find that the average believer very much believes that garments have magical properties to prevent them from harm, injury, and/or sin.

    The point remains...why is a muslim wearing religious clothes scary, but a Catholic nun, a mormon, or a Greek orthodox priest wearing religious clothes = not scary?
    because we (u.s. society) identify religious muslims with terror. wrongly, but there it is.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #276
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Correction...

    Saddam was pretty wealthy.
    apparently she has a mental block that doesn't allow her to see reality. Iraq, at least southern Iraq was a freakin wasteland, due primarily to the war with Iran, well before the US showed up for Desert Storm. There are still rusted out hulks of Iranian tanks along the roadsides in the Basrah and Maysan provinces. there are still minefields in those provinces that haven't been cleared from the Iran/Iraq war. And the only people who actually prospered under Saddam were his friends, family and supporters.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #277
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If you live amongst the LDS (and I did, for 10 years), you find that the average believer very much believes that garments have magical properties to prevent them from harm, injury, and/or sin.

    well then...that's just stupid.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #278
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    because we (u.s. society) identify religious muslims with terror. wrongly, but there it is.
    actually it's because catholic nuns, mormons and greek priests haven't been known to carry explosives under their clothing to blow up unsuspecting civilians...muslims have.

    is it wrong to stereotype ALL muslims as terrorists? yes. but it is equally stupid to ignore the fact that recently, most of the terrorists have been muslim.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #279
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    actually it's because catholic nuns, mormons and greek priests haven't been known to carry explosives under their clothing to blow up unsuspecting civilians...muslims have.

    is it wrong to stereotype ALL muslims as terrorists? yes. but it is equally stupid to ignore the fact that recently, most of the terrorists have been muslim.


    Absolutely agree. The problem is people like Marilyn and Ned, take it to the extreme. It is almost as dangerous as ignoring it completely would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-04-10 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    588

    Re: Do you get nervous when you notice people in Muslim garb on your airplane?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    Name calling. Very nice.

    Just pointing out the fact that religious tolerance is a two-way street. It wasn't so long ago when the LDS wasn't too popular here ...


    It still isn't by the Cadre who think THEY can ease up to the line but not worry about crossing it because they'll not get admonished for it by the select few with the total keys.

    Some are more comfortable in the lower depts here.

Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •