View Poll Results: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and his mutton chops should run as Deputy Mayor!

    12 57.14%
  • Yes, and he'll lower it with his impressive karate skills!

    6 28.57%
  • Yes, and legal marriage shouldn't exclude a person and their footwear!

    3 14.29%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

  1. #41
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    I have a question. What qualifies as a "Karate expert"? Does this equate to some belt color?
    Does this qualify?
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 10-20-10 at 10:45 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #42
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I am not talking about prices, I am talking about overages, which are immoral. Just because its a burden we can deal with doesn't mean its good or fair. Also, I have already explained why people are forced to deal with it.
    I'm not talking about prices either. I said fees, which is what is charged for overages. If it's such a burden, then a company could make them more reasonable and get all of the business presumably. So why haven't we seen this?

    Motorola is an equipment maker and its in the interest of the company to have more of a market to sell to. I take that video with a grain of salt knowing what their interests are. They are not a neutral party.
    Just because it's biased doesn't mean it's wrong.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #43
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    I'm not talking about prices either. I said fees, which is what is charged for overages. If it's such a burden, then a company could make them more reasonable and get all of the business presumably. So why haven't we seen this?
    Competition doesn't always work.

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Just because it's biased doesn't mean it's wrong.
    This is possible.

  4. #44
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Competition doesn't always work.
    You know I have to ask you to qualify that statement.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #45
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    You know I have to ask you to qualify that statement.
    The fees are immoral yet and there is competition, yet they still happen.

  6. #46
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The fees are immoral yet and there is competition, yet they still happen.
    Because they're not a big deal to people. It doesn't mean competition doesn't work. People would rather not go over their minutes than make a big stink about it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #47
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Because they're not a big deal to people. It doesn't mean competition doesn't work. People would rather not go over their minutes than make a big stink about it.
    Whether or not it is a big deal to people has no bearing on whether it is immoral.

  8. #48
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    How exactly are they immoral? Consumers know exactly how many minutes are included in their plan. They know exactly how much they will be charged for each minute over their plan. And they can easily track their plan. If someone goes over, it means the consumer mismanaged their minutes and will pay the price according to a contract they willingly entered. I fail to see any immorality here. Its not like cell phone companies are lying or misrepresenting themselves to unwary consumers.

    You may not like the options they give you (I know I wish I get a cheaper plan with LESS minutes since I never come close to using my alloted minutes with free nights and weekends and free calls to other users w/ the same company), but that doesn't make it immoral.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  9. #49
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    How exactly are they immoral? Consumers know exactly how many minutes are included in their plan. They know exactly how much they will be charged for each minute over their plan. And they can easily track their plan. If someone goes over, it means the consumer mismanaged their minutes and will pay the price according to a contract they willingly entered. I fail to see any immorality here. Its not like cell phone companies are lying or misrepresenting themselves to unwary consumers.

    You may not like the options they give you (I know I wish I get a cheaper plan with LESS minutes since I never come close to using my alloted minutes with free nights and weekends and free calls to other users w/ the same company), but that doesn't make it immoral.
    Just because something isn't in a contract and someone can legally be taken advantage of doesn't make it right. It amazes me when people substitute legality for morality.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 10-20-10 at 11:39 PM.

  10. #50
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: Is the Rent Too Damn High?

    You still haven't told me how cell companies are being immoral. I agree that legality =/= morality. But I'm failing to see how a company selling a useful product that harms no one and is completely upfront about the terms of purchase is acting immorally.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •