View Poll Results: Tax credit for charitable donations?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am liberal; I like the idea.

    1 9.09%
  • I am moderate; I like the idea.

    2 18.18%
  • I am conservative; I like the idea.

    3 27.27%
  • I am liberal; I don't like the idea.

    3 27.27%
  • I am moderate; I don't like the idea.

    1 9.09%
  • I am conservative; I don't like the idea.

    1 9.09%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Tax credit for charitable donations?

  1. #21
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    No Sh1t sherlock

    that's why I asked

    remember, I ask questions I already know the answer to

    and speaking of partisan hacks
    The question is about whether making charitable donations a tax credit would be a good idea from a policy standpoint. Not about whether liberals or conservatives give more money to charity. If you want to start a thread on that topic, go do it somewhere else and let the grown-ups talk about the subject at hand.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #22
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The question is about whether making charitable donations a tax credit would be a good idea from a policy standpoint. Not about whether liberals or conservatives give more money to charity. If you want to start a thread on that topic, go do it somewhere else and let the grown-ups talk about the subject at hand.
    Oh I see, you are a grown up because you are a liberal and I am not because I don't buy into that illness

    OK

    but its a great idea to allow tax deductions for charitable contributions because tax deductions LESSEN THE COST OF CONTRIBUTIONS and when you LESSEN THE COST OF SOMETHING you tend to increase people engaging in that activity



  3. #23
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Oh I see, you are a grown up because you are a liberal and I am not because I don't buy into that illness
    Nope, I'm a grownup because I often post threads about policy ideas to get critiques from reasonable people, and offer my own thoughts on political policies that others advocate. Whereas all of your posts consist of bitching about "Obamunists" and "the hard left" and "liberal illness" and whatnot.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude
    but its a great idea to allow tax deductions for charitable contributions because tax deductions LESSEN THE COST OF CONTRIBUTIONS and when you LESSEN THE COST OF SOMETHING you tend to increase people engaging in that activity
    Well actually I was talking about making tax deductions into tax credits (which would be even better from the taxpayers' perspective), but close enough. At least you're actually discussing the topic now.

    I agree, I think we'd see a lot more charity if people could get tax credits for their contribution. Rathi and Gipper raise valid concerns about questioning whether people are capable of allocating the money effectively, noting the need for an exception for public services.

    I'd want to phase it in slowly to see what happens rather than doing it all at once.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-19-10 at 11:45 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #24
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I don't believe I said it wasn't...or that I even view "redistribution of wealth" as a problem in the first place. I'm confused as to what your point is. Are you saying redistribution of wealth is bad? If so, how is it related to this idea? This doesn't increase anyone's tax burden, it just changes who is receiving the money.
    We have quite enough redistribution of wealth, thank you. It's not bad....it's overwhelming our budget. My point is that if people want to give to charity, let them give to charity and take the tax deduction...not receive a full tax credit for doing so. There's nothing hard to understand about that. Our taxes will not go down....they will go up exactly proportionately to the taxes the government loses by allowing this hair-brained idea, should you ever get elected. ;-)

    That's mainly because people recognize that certain problems need funding to solve them, and at the present time, government is the only viable vehicle to fund them. That's not necessarily unchangeable though. By making charities a viable vehicle to fund anti-poverty initiatives (for example), it would reduce the need for government to do so.
    The government would be funding them through tax credits. Another political football.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    We have quite enough redistribution of wealth, thank you. It's not bad....it's overwhelming our budget. My point is that if people want to give to charity, let them give to charity and take the tax deduction...not receive a full tax credit for doing so. There's nothing hard to understand about that. Our taxes will not go down....they will go up exactly proportionately to the taxes the government loses by allowing this hair-brained idea, should you ever get elected. ;-)
    I'm not following your logic...You're saying that wealth redistribution is overwhelming the budget, but there is no hope at ever changing that and therefore this is a bad idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    The government would be funding them through tax credits. Another political football.
    The government wouldn't get to decide where the money went. Each individual could give to a charity (or multiple charities) of his/her choice, and just write it off their taxes. It couldn't be a political football if the government had no control over it.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-20-10 at 12:26 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I'm not following your logic...You're saying that wealth redistribution is overwhelming the budget, but there is no hope at ever changing that and therefore this is a bad idea?
    Every entitlement program is redistribution of wealth! What do you think is overwhelming our budget? Tse-tse Fly research?

    The government wouldn't get to decide where the money went. Each individual could give to a charity (or multiple charities) of his/her choice, and just write it off their taxes. It couldn't be a political football if the government had no control over it.
    It's a political football as long as the "good auspices of Congress" are required to keep the tax credit on the books. The government can have as much or as little control over it as they choose. Millions to ACORN. Nooooo, thank you.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #27
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Every entitlement program is redistribution of wealth! What do you think is overwhelming our budget? Tse-tse Fly research?
    People being compelled to give to charities of their choice would reduce the need for entitlement programs. Your logic doesn't make any sense. You're complaining about entitlement programs, so I'm proposing a solution that would reduce the need for them, and you're rejecting it by saying that there is no hope and entitlement programs will continue to be bloated. I mean...if you view entitlement programs as a problem, then it would stand to reason that you'd want to solve that problem rather than talking about how we're all doomed and rejecting any efforts to solve it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    It's a political football as long as the "good auspices of Congress" are required to keep the tax credit on the books. The government can have as much or as little control over it as they choose.
    Again, you're rejecting a solution just because Congress could change it in the future. What's the point of making any reforms at all to any government policy, then? Congress could just change it later.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    Millions to ACORN. Nooooo, thank you.
    I think it's far more likely that congressmen will vote to fund charities that benefit them personally or politically, rather than people choosing of their own volition to donate to such organizations. If a lot of people actually think that ACORN is doing a good job providing for the poor, then I would have no problem at all with them receiving millions of dollars in charitable donations.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-20-10 at 09:53 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #28
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    This idea would be better if the charity actually had to help people and not be some political organization or the local country club flower committee.

  9. #29
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    People being compelled to give to charities of their choice would reduce the need for entitlement programs. Your logic doesn't make any sense. You're complaining about entitlement programs, so I'm proposing a solution that would reduce the need for them, and you're rejecting it by saying that there is no hope and entitlement programs will continue to be bloated. I mean...if you view entitlement programs as a problem, then it would stand to reason that you'd want to solve that problem rather than talking about how we're all doomed and rejecting any efforts to solve it.
    And now you say they'd be compelled?? Why would it reduce the need for entitlement programs? Suddenly Public Aid is going to become a charitable organization? SS Disability? SS itself? Veterans Disability? Giving people tax credits to offset their personal donations to charity isn't going to do anything except raise our taxes in other areas, give quasi-charitable organizations and their adherents a way to fund their questionable activities with the blessing of the U.S. Government, and get our taxes raised in other areas instead. I could actually see a real problem for Homeland Security in "following the money."

    Again, you're rejecting a solution just because Congress could change it in the future. What's the point of making any reforms at all to any government policy, then? Congress could just change it later.
    I reject it for many more reasons than Congress being able to change the tax credit in the future.

    I think it's far more likely that congressmen will vote to fund charities that benefit them personally or politically, rather than people choosing of their own volition to donate to such organizations. If a lot of people actually think that ACORN is doing a good job providing for the poor, then I would have no problem at all with them receiving millions of dollars in charitable donations.
    You don't get it. I don't think Congressmen should be able to fund any charities at all. And, while we're about it, the requirements for a 501(3)(c) are such that there's not much limitation at ALL on what amounts need to be used for actual "charity."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #30
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Tax credit for charitable donations?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And now you say they'd be compelled??
    Do you understand what I'm proposing here? I'm suggesting that giving people a tax credit for charitable donations would cause most people to give as much of their tax burden as possible to charity, thus essentially having compulsory charity instead of compulsory taxes for social programs.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    Why would it reduce the need for entitlement programs? Suddenly Public Aid is going to become a charitable organization? SS Disability? SS itself? Veterans Disability?
    If there were suddenly a lot of private charities receiving huge amounts of donations to cover these types of things, it would stand to reason that the federal government would not need to pay for as many of them itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    Giving people tax credits to offset their personal donations to charity isn't going to do anything except raise our taxes in other areas, give quasi-charitable organizations and their adherents a way to fund their questionable activities with the blessing of the U.S. Government, and get our taxes raised in other areas instead.
    Why would it raise our taxes in other areas if the need for government-funded entitlement programs was reduced? Politicians are not exactly fond of raising taxes just for kicks...

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    I could actually see a real problem for Homeland Security in "following the money."
    I agree; I think that, if anything, it would need to be limited to traditional social programs, rather than public services like Homeland Security. I would agree that those would still need to be paid for with taxes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    I reject it for many more reasons than Congress being able to change the tax credit in the future.
    Well then let's talk about those. Maybe I'll at least be able to understand your argument for some of those other reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD
    You don't get it. I don't think Congressmen should be able to fund any charities at all. And, while we're about it, the requirements for a 501(3)(c) are such that there's not much limitation at ALL on what amounts need to be used for actual "charity."
    I really have no idea what you're talking about, since the idea I suggested was about individuals funding the charities THEY wanted to fund.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 10-20-10 at 10:20 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •