View Poll Results: Does water have a taste?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 68.57%
  • No

    11 31.43%
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 252

Thread: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

  1. #81
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If I believe that the Redskins are the best team in football that is a beleif. If I don't believe the Redskins are the best team in football that is still a belief.
    That one can be backed up or disproven by data. And data says that the Redskins are not the best team in football.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #82
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Honestly, I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone even cares. SO WHAT if atheists don't believe in a god OR any gods? How does this even remotely affect anyone? Seriously, Zyph, why are you SO invested in this?

    "Invested in this"?

    Its a topic I find interesting on a message board? WTF am I supposed to do.

    "Hey, its a message board discussing a topic. I know, I should NOT post or say anything, because saying anything would mean I'm invested in it".



    I find it annoying when people run away from words that have actual meanings because they've (speaking they as a movement or overall group not an individual) diluted and twisted and manipulated a word so much that its got to the point where they can't, consiously or subconsiously, actually allow it to be used correctly.

    You can look at my posts regarding nation/country/etc to see an example. You can see in other issues too when people start talking about "rights".

    Its a pet peeve of mine. If there were more people arguing and ranting that Athiesm was definitely a religion I'd like to be focusing on that far more. Hell, my initial post pointed out BOTH my belief that it isn't a religion but it is a belief. From that point I responded to those that responded to me. If it was the "its a religion" crowd that was responding to me I'd be posting much the same in frequency stating why no, athiesm most definitely isn't a religion.

  3. #83
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Sure seems to be what Glinda is implying
    You infer incorrectly. My point was that you apparently have no understanding of what agnostics say/believe, and have attempted to lambaste atheists using agnostic tenets. As previously noted: Atheist =/= Agnostic.

    Again, I must ask: Why does this matter SO MUCH to you? Just believe whatever the hell you want to and let others do the same.

    Sheesh.

  4. #84
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Reposted for truth:



    Honestly, I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone even cares. SO WHAT if atheists don't believe in a god OR any gods? How does this even remotely affect anyone? Seriously, Zyph, why are you SO invested in this?



    hi two way street.



    You do know an athiest cared enough to start this thread right?


    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #85
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That one can be backed up or disproven by data. And data says that the Redskins are not the best team in football.
    And yet is still a belief, as there is no clear cut indiciation of what the "best team in football" is. Its a subjective notion not an unquestionable truth. Stating a view either way, be it believing they are or not believing they are, is making a statement of personal truth in regards to your view on it. That's a belief. The fact that it is or isn't backed up with facts doesn't change it from being a belief.

  6. #86
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    You infer incorrectly. My point was that you apparently have no understanding of what agnostics say/believe, and have attempted to lambaste atheists using agnostic tenets. As previously noted: Atheist =/= Agnostic.
    Glinda, go back and read my posts other than simply the one you posted.

    What you're saying is WHAT I WAS SAYING ORIGINALLY.

    Then Riv sat there and was telling me I was wrong, and that what I was saying was agnostic was essentially what she was.

    Then marduc made a post stating that its simply the default position until its proven shown otherwise. HE was the one that was originally stating that its not "There is no god" but "there is no god until such point that there is evidence of such which is possible since I'm not stating this as an absolute truth" in his implied statements..

    So my statement was not a statement of fact of what I believe is athiest or not, but was directly responding to her statements and comments.

    As I already told you in my LAST post responding to yours. You're not enlightening me or showing me anything special, you're saying the same damn thing I was.

    Again, I must ask: Why does this matter SO MUCH to you? Just believe whatever the hell you want to and let others do the same.
    Again, I'm on a message board. I made a statement of my belief. Someone said "uh-uh, I disagree". A discussion ensued. Amazingly, this is what happens on message boards.

  7. #87
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    "Invested in this"?

    Its a topic I find interesting on a message board? WTF am I supposed to do.

    "Hey, its a message board discussing a topic. I know, I should NOT post or say anything, because saying anything would mean I'm invested in it".



    Its a pet peeve of mine.
    So, you're just being peevish.

    pee·vish
    adj \ˈpē-vish\

    1
    : querulous in temperament or mood : fretful
    2
    : perversely obstinate <a peevish child>
    3
    : marked by ill temper
    Got it.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Right, which was my point.
    No, you said "Possibly because so many atheists go "There is no god" ". Your statement and my statement are very different. I said most atheists state that they do not believe in a god. That doesn't say "there is no god" it says that they do not believe in a god. See the difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'd love to be proven wrong with what I've rarely seen. Maybe you could find me some on this forum you could point me to who routienly don't state that there may very well be a god but they just haven't seen proof so for now they don't believe in them. I can't think of many athiests but since apparently my biased self is just looking for things to reenforce my view perhaps you could help correct me.
    I myself said this in this thread. And lots of people bias themselves. It's common for humans to do. It's a lot like this story Feynman used to tell:

    I was sitting at home one evening, and I was feeling pretty uneasy, like something bad had happened. All of a sudden, the phone rang and I got this knot in the pit of my stomach just saying that something went wrong. I answered the phone. Nothing had happened."

    See people rarely remember anti-coincidence in this manner. People will tell you all the times they had a bad feeling and then received bad news; but they will rarely remember all the times they had a bad feeling and didn't get bad news. Or didn't have a bad feeling and got bad news. Humans look for connections, we are drawn to symmetries and patterns, we are very good at assigning significance to coincidence. We are horrible at recognizing anti-coincidence. So when you say you've rarely seen this, but I personally know that many atheists do not talk in the way you describe, I think it highly likely that you have engaged in such behavior. You're not remembering the times the phone rang and nothing happened.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 10-18-10 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Edited back because I hate IE 6 and misclicked
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #89
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And yet is still a belief, as there is no clear cut indiciation of what the "best team in football" is. Its a subjective notion not an unquestionable truth. Stating a view either way, be it believing they are or not believing they are, is making a statement of personal truth in regards to your view on it. That's a belief. The fact that it is or isn't backed up with facts doesn't change it from being a belief.
    There perhaps isn't a clear cut indication of what the best team in football is; but there is clear cut indication of what isn't the best team in football. The Lions are not the best team in football is not a statement of belief; it is a statement of measured reality.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #90
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I would actually say your agnostic types as being the closest to no taste. The people who simply don't know whether or not there is a god/supernatural/higher being/etc and simply don't care, holding no real belief in it existing or not existing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Agnostics don't believe that there is or isn't something supernatural, they just think its unknowable so don't bother themselves with it either way. THAT is the closest to an absense of belief, not athiesm. Placing ones firm ground in a particular unknown is faith.
    Here, I'll help you Glinda. Two posts earlier in the thread. I understand what Agnosticism. My confusion was in people seeming to claim to be Athiests but then stating that they don't believe its an absolute truth there is no god, but simply that they don't know of any proof that there is a god and as such until such time that proof presents itself they don't believe there are any. To me, the latter sounded like agnosticism but they suggested that no, its just a form of athiesm and its what athiests think. I was simply stating that if that's true then I RARELY see it stated that way from athiests, as I usually see it stated as if its some kind of truth. I was confused specifically for the reason you pointed out, to me that sounds a damn lot like agnosticism not athiesm.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •