View Poll Results: Does water have a taste?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 68.57%
  • No

    11 31.43%
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 252

Thread: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    So... in china and north korea where they have no religion and have hardly heard of god to the point it doesnt qualify as a iota of consideration for their entire lifes. You imply that a thought occupying some sort of positive space in their minds exists that the purposefully choose to not believe in a concept theyve never been introduced to.

    Seriously, foundations of logic here... not subscribing to your fantasy of some ungraspable thing in the sky makes us some sort of faithful believers. Talk about religionists grasping and the dying end of the argument. You're just trying to even the ground.

  2. #72
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, you're lacking belief in there being gods, but you're having faith in that there are no gods.
    I have faith in no such thing. I simply don't give a ****.

    Truly lacking beleif in gods would be stating I do not know if there is a god or not. Or there may be gods or there may not be. THAT is truly lacking belief.
    I don't know. And because of that, I lack belief. I don't know that there aren't unicorns or fairies, or creatures of the abyss either. And, I lack belief in them as well.

    Saying "I lack belief in a god" is exactly the same as saing "I believe there is not a god", you're just switching how you say it, but those are two equal statements.
    Absolutely not. I'm not "switching how I say" anything. I'm stating the truth with regard to MY beliefs and lack thereof. I DO NOT BELIEVE in any gods. I would never say that I "believe there are no gods".

    You are forming a conclusion about an idea, that is a belief.
    No, I'm forming no conclusion. Only stating a lack of a belief.

  3. #73
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And if one believes that it is possible to know it, but claims that without knowing it that it doesnt' exist,
    NO ONE is saying that. Who says that? Only completely delusional narcissists who think they're all powerful.

  4. #74
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    NO ONE is saying that. Who says that? Only completely delusional narcissists who think they're all powerful.






    My ears were burning.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #75
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    I have faith in no such thing. I simply don't give a ****.
    No, you DO give a ****.

    If you didn't give a **** you wouldn't make a claim for you personally either way about gods.

    But you DO make a claim as to what is true in regards to your views on it personally at this time, which means you DO give a ****, and is a belief.

    I don't know. And because of that, I lack belief. I don't know that there aren't unicorns or fairies, or creatures of the abyss either. And, I lack belief in them as well.
    And that is a belief.

    Absolutely not. I'm not "switching how I say" anything. I'm stating the truth with regard to MY beliefs and lack thereof. I DO NOT BELIEVE in any gods. I would never say that I "believe there are no gods".
    Yes, you are. I'm not suggesting intentionally. I'm saying that stating "I lack the belief in [x]" is the same as saying "I believe in [y]" where [x]=something and [y]=not something. Simply because you say it one way more often because it makes your mind feel better in convincing yourself that its not a belief doesn't mean its not one. There is an issue, whether or not gods exist, and you have a view on it one way or another, that they don't.

    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but explain to me what the difference between not believing there are gods and believing there are no gods?

    No, I'm forming no conclusion. Only stating a lack of a belief.
    But you are, you ARE forming an opinion. You're not going "I don't know if there is gods or not" you're going "I don't believe that there are gods"

  6. #76
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Possibly because so many athiests go "There is no god" not "There may be a god/something divine, but until I have proof I don't think there is".
    Most atheists state that they don't believe in a god.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I've rarely seen any athiest who routinely acknowledges that there's the potential that such exists but we don't have proof yet and thus that's why they don't think there is. Its almost always simply stated as an absolute, unquestionable fact, usually with uppity sarcastic condenscending tones and insults.
    Probably because you're not paying attention and only looking for that which reinforces your preconcieved notions.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    NO ONE is saying that. Who says that? Only completely delusional narcissists who think they're all powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Possibly because so many athiests go "There is no god" not "There may be a god/something divine, but until I have proof I don't think there is".
    The reason atheists don't say things like ""There may be a god/something divine, but until I have proof I don't think there is," is because that is what agnostics say/believe.

    Atheist =/= Agnostic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I've rarely seen any athiest who routinely acknowledges that there's the potential that such exists but we don't have proof yet and thus that's why they don't think there is.
    The reason you haven't come across atheists who "routinely acknowledge that there's the potential that such exists but we don't have proof yet and thus that's why they don't think there is," is because that is what agnostics say/believe.

    Atheist =/= Agnostic.
    Sure seems to be what Glinda is implying

  8. #78
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Again religion is not necessarily about belief in a supreme being.


    You believe in evolution, the big bang theory and that God does does not exist?
    There is measurable evidence for evolution and the big bang theory and both are theories which currently best fit the observed data.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #79
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Reposted for truth:

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    So... in china and north korea where they have no religion and have hardly heard of god to the point it doesnt qualify as a iota of consideration for their entire lifes. You imply that a thought occupying some sort of positive space in their minds exists that they purposefully choose to not believe in a concept theyve never been introduced to.

    Seriously, foundations of logic here... not subscribing to your fantasy of some ungraspable thing in the sky makes us some sort of faithful believers. Talk about religionists grasping the dying end of the argument. You're just trying to even the ground.
    Honestly, I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone even cares. SO WHAT if atheists don't believe in a god OR any gods? How does this even remotely affect anyone? Seriously, Zyph, why are you SO invested in this?


  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Does water have a taste? Is atheism a religion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Most atheists state that they don't believe in a god.
    Right, which was my point.

    Probably because you're not paying attention and only looking for that which reinforces your preconcieved notions.
    I'd love to be proven wrong with what I've rarely seen. Maybe you could find me some on this forum you could point me to who routienly don't state that there may very well be a god but they just haven't seen proof so for now they don't believe in them. I can't think of many athiests but since apparently my biased self is just looking for things to reenforce my view perhaps you could help correct me.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •